olive oil

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipe dreamer

Reaction score
When we speak of education,let us speak of self education for there are no educators.A quote from Nietzsche.It means carnuba is great on salads.

Part 2: Never use olive oil on your briar pipes.You can use it on vulcanite stems. :bball:

pipe dreamer":sid4xjma said:
Part 2: Never use olive oil on your briar pipes.You can use it on vulcanite stems. :bball:
Please, may I ask, what kind of olive oil are you refering to?

Xtra virgin. helps to retard oxidation on vulcanite.Or popeyes friend.If you can get her to clean those pesky old stems.

I tried EVOO on a basket pipe a few days ago (closer to a week) and I can't honestly say that i've noticed a difference in it either way.

Thinking about it and reading all of the comments/opinions, I am leaning toward a standard Carnuba or Beeswax as my standard. Not that I have anything against EVOO for stems, but not for the wood.

I'm new on the board - yes, but not new to smoking pipes - about 18-years now and counting.

It was a fun experiment, nothing lost, nothing new to the old-timers either.

The olive oil just seals the stem from air to slow down oxidation.On vulcanite stems even a buffing wheel uusually only burns the oxidation into the stem.You can buff them out a few times,but each time reduces the size of the stem till you have a bad fit of stem to shank.A magic eraser(mr. clean)will take most of the sulphur off.Then use a stem restore kit to finish.,This is when you use the olive oil to slow down the oxidation.For the briar use halcion or paragon wax or a wheel with carnuba.Its just that simple.

It seems more likely that antioxidants in olive oil would be the larger source of O2 protection relative to other vegetable oils. If a physical O2 barrier were the the important factor, then any vegetable oil would provide the same protection. Olive oil is higher in polyphenol antioxidants than most other veg. oils.

Steve

I read about olive oil keeping stems from oxidizing. I gave it a try a couple months back on a couple notoriously oxidized stems that have frustrated me over the years.

So far, so good!