Olive Wood Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cigarstorejay

Reaction score
Does anybody know anyone who makes nice olive wood pipes? I have one with just beautiful grains. It is also a most excellent smoker for every tobacco I have put in it. Doesn't get too hot. I also like the patina it is picking up as I have handled it and smoke it over the last few years.

Anyway, I am always looking for new pipes and makers and figured this was the place to ask

Jay

The only olivewood pipe I have in my collection is an Il Duca brand.

I know that Marco Biagini of Moretti pipes has been making a few olivewood pipes lately. His craftsmanship is excellent. I have 5 of his briars and they are great smokers.

Here's a link to Marco's ebay page- http://myworld.ebay.com/bima1960/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Beside the regular Passatore olivewood pipes, Gerhard Wilhelm crosses my mind. Here in Germany he is known for making olive pipes of good quality. Some smokers told me Wilhelms olivewood pipes do not show that typical olive oil taste, I was also told that these pipes did not show cracks or fractures as soon as other olivewood pipes do. I didn´t try one myself so far, so this is all hearsay. Did any others of you make such good experiences with olivewood, like Jay too?
Here are a few examples from Mr. Wilhelms website:

n2.jpg

n14.jpg

set8.jpg

The pipe in the backround is made of bog oak

Schacht":mpedbc3x said:
Beside the regular Passatore olivewood pipes, Gerhard Wilhelm crosses my mind. Here in Germany he is known for making olive pipes of good quality. Some smokers told me Wilhelms olivewood pipes do not show that typical olive oil taste, I was also told that these pipes did not show cracks or fractures as soon as other olivewood pipes do. I didn´t try one myself so far, so this is all hearsay. Did any others of you make such good experiences with olivewood, like Jay too?

n2.jpg

n14.jpg

set8.jpg

Do you know what some of Wilhelms pipes sell for? They are very nice looking. Unfortunately for me, my German is rusty and the website is primarily in German.

I did not have any olive oily taste with the pipe that I have. The walls are rather thick, too. I can not see them splitting.

Thanks for the info as well!

I would simply send him an email in english to the adress that`s published on his website. I believe it´s not sure, that any pipe we see on his "news-site" is still available, prices should be negotiable.

I just saw that one Euro is today about $ 1,42 - goodness - I hope the US economy will improve rapidly.

I won a Gasparini bent billiard olive wood pipe on eBay yesterday for $15.55, obviouslt still waiting for it.

Will post a review once I've received it.

Schacht":wutosy8w said:

n2.jpg

n14.jpg

set8.jpg

Unfortunately. Mr. Wilhelm is no longer producing pipes. That stinks.
Anyone have any other suggestions?

i would for sure suggest you to contact Abi Natur - his olive wood material is very special - you will not find a material like that anywhere (and i am not telling this because i don't know that) - his material comes from very VERY old olive wood trees from his private olive plantation in Monte Negro and it is a special sort of olive wood that is very very hard and dense... his method of preparing that wood is also special ... so, this is probably the best material you will find on WWW...
if i would look for a pipemaker and would like to buy an olive wood pipe - i would buy one from him for sure... that is my choice and suggestion...
regards
daniel

contact him directly .... Canaan Pipes homepage

cigarstorejay":3nmkvmv0 said:
[…] Unfortunately. Mr. Wilhelm is no longer producing pipes. […]
Too bad, I didn´t know that - but sorry, that I´ve been misleading you.

Kind regards
Thilo

Do a Google search on "jobert pipes." You will find the name "Johan Slabbert" as an olive wood pipe maker, but Johan will carve any good scrap wood he finds, or at least that used to be the case; maybe now he's buying wood.

I have two of his olive wood pipes. The good thing about them is that you can smoke them daily.

Good luck!

alfredo_buscatti":zegw9xxz said:
Do a Google search on "jobert pipes." You will find the name "Johan Slabbert" as an olive wood pipe maker, but Johan will carve any good scrap wood he finds, or at least that used to be the case; maybe now he's buying wood.

I have two of his olive wood pipes. The good thing about them is that you can smoke them daily.

Good luck!
I actually ended up contacting Abi Natur and buying one of his pipes. I have been anxiously awaiting its arrival for a few weeks. I must say I am getting nervous. Abi was great to deal with and very accommodating to me. If his pipe smokes like it looks I'll be buying another one sooner than later.

Jay

cigarstorejay":1mrl8gog said:
Maybe its me, but does that pipe seem a little phallic to anyone else :?:

Check out my other thread under photo gallery for more olive wood info.

Yeah...looks a little mushroomy.....in the I'm not so sure kinda way!

Saw your scoop...nice one!

I just got a Moretti olive wood pipe today. I won it on Ebay. Just finished smoking some " Old Ironsides" in it. I was very impressed with the way it smoked. Can't wait till it is broken in completely.