Olive Wood

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanchrz

Reaction score
2nd Pipe
Olive Wood, 3/4" bowl, 1 1/4" deep, overall length is just over 6"

03152012031.jpg

03152012030.jpg

03152012032.jpg

03152012037.jpg

Comments/questions/critiques are welcome. I'm still learning and any advice is appreciated!

something about where the shank hits the bowl -- as other carvers have mentioned -- is very hard to perfect. you have taken the approach of making a minimal transition, and lack of a separate stem makes me think of the glass pipes you can get in shops that say "for tobacco use only" in big signs in front of pot leaf black light posters.

you have obvious talent with the wood, but I would love to see a traditional pipe shape with stem. I learned in art class in school that you cant just splatter paint and become famous like jackson pollack. you have to learn how to do lots of really BORING stuff, then you can get famous for splattering paint. Point being, you can still be creative, but if you can make a billiard that would put dunhill to shame, then I want to see that first. Or you could be like Van Gogh... go crazy and die, then your work will be worth millions.

Caveat: i am not a carver, just my impressions from the pics.

you have got nice piece of olive wood... really nice grain... hope she will smoke really nice...
related shape... Kurt Huhn once told me when i was starting with my pipemaking hobby that it is allways better when you can say where the bowl stops and where the shank begins... next time please try to work around the bowl that much so that the shape of the bowl really emerges from the wood...
if you would like to get the top of the bowl to have a really sharp edge - put the sandpaper on a flat surface, turn around you pipe to be upside down and pull the pipe over the sandpaper holding the pipe really steady... this way, you can create a really sharp transition from the bowl sides to the top of the bowl..
and once more - it would be really good if you could find some ebonite or acrylic rods (or finished mouthpieces) to use them instead to bite on the wood directly... it is much healthier for you and for wood :) :) :)
and to finish my answer - don't stop make another pipe... :) :)
regards and keep the good work going... :)

Very Nice, alanchrz. But to echo what the others have stated, we would like to see a more distinct transition between the bowl and stem. Also - you might, just for the heck of it, engrave your initials or similar in the stem somewhere. 8)

Years from now when your a world famous pipe carver, some collector somewhere will pay STUPID money on eBay for your first model - Serial : 0001! :twisted: Hey - stranger things have happened...

But - don't let the criticism here bother you too much. Smoke the dang thing and enjoy it, I'm sure it'll smoke just fine.

Lovely grain on the pipe.If you like different grains in wood have a look on International Ebay and type chicken wing pipes.This should give you longyh118 who has 3 for sale at the moment, so you can get an idea of the grain.I have one and the grain is beautiful.But where you would get some wood if you wanted it is beyond me.Pipeman1947 :pirate: :pirate:

Unique and cool. The olive wood has a nice grain with the light wood color as a contrast.