Olivewood Anemone

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
So, maybe it does look like an Anemone ...(the flower, not the sea variety) when viewed from the top. Maybe not.  But since I made it I get to name it.  Anyway, I seem to have a long standing affection for spirals in my carving of various things.  And while pondering the different possible shapes that could work it stood out for me once again.

This one is a collaboration between one knowing partner and a vendor who has/had no idea they were in on it.  I got the Olivewood from a local vendor of exotic woods with the express idea of carving it.  I sent it to ta harris of this site (a very fine pipemaker) and asked him to drill it for a pipe with a bent stem.  He did some looking at it and then got out his handy dandy moisture measuring thingie and discovered the wood was very wet and would likely crack if carved.  So he did a drying thing to it and it sat immersed in this salt stuff for what seemed like a long time.  I also asked him to set up the shank to fit a stem I had on hand...one of the 'special' series offered by the guys that do the 'Forever Stems' for cobs...Walker Briar Works.  If you've never visited their site, DO!

Anyway, most of the strummel was carved using a small bladed carving knife I made a while ago, which worked really quite well given that Olivewood has a pretty even density and carves well.  Of course there were a number of riffling files, etc that came into play, and my beloved Iwasaki Japanese Carving Files, the smallest size...lots of sandpaper...0000 Steel Wool...buffing wheel with white emery...and Dremel felt wheel with Hard Carnuba Wax.

What drew me to the Olivewood in the first place was what other pipe carvers have done with it, of course.  That, and the way the light wood plays against the very dark brown grain that runs through it.  I don't think that I've ever seen one stained, and this isn't either.  To me, one of the most beautiful aspects of Olivewood is the natural colors...and I did the spiral shape on this so that the grain would play well.

No, its not a professional job, but it IS fun.  And I'll bet it smokes pretty well.  It has plenty of sidewall and the bore and depth measurements I specified to Todd should make it a good flake pipe.  It's also very light, which I need as I only smoke (well, 90% anyway) while working in my shop.  All in all I think we did a yeoman's job. All in all I worked on this one on and off for about two weeks...all by hand.  

Here are some shots for your amusement:

Looks good enought to eat, for some reason. Perhaps it's the spirals' resemblance to frosting on a cake. Dunno. I was stunned by its prettiness as I scrolled down; it just leapt out at me. A cut above any olivewood pipe I've ever seen. I have to admire your skills and the way you are developing them. Good stuff, indeed.

Richard Burley":kw0v27gb said:
Looks good enought to eat, for some reason. Perhaps it's the spirals' resemblance to frosting on a cake. Dunno. I was stunned by its prettiness as I scrolled down; it just leapt out at me. A cut above any olivewood pipe I've ever seen. I have to admire your skills and the way you are developing them. Good stuff, indeed.
Yes it does! It reminds me of a crueler with Carmel drizzled on it. Yum! Very nice pipe.

I love it!!!! Very beautiful, indeed.

I have a block of olivewood that I drilled and started turning on the lathe. I had a very bad reaction to it and had to give up on using it (we're talking problems breathing and I seriously thought about a trip to the ER). Now it sits on the top shelf in the shop and looks at me. Maybe I'll send it your way BH and you can finish it for me :D 

Scottie, send it along with the other one when that's done and I'll look at it and let you know what I think I could do. But if you had such an extreme reaction to it I'd just want it the heck outta there! (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

I don't have a lathe so you'd have to do the stem work. Now if it were me, I'd pair it with a plain (no smoke, swirls, etc. that would fight with the Olivewood grain) lucite/acrylic stem in the same kind of color group (like translucent amber or clear dark brown or maybe tortoiseshell).

Oh! I know! Make the stem a warden...about 20" long...as far away from you as possible! OR...I guess your hubby could use it. But I'm sure you had no intention of smoking anything through it yourself - right?

And the rest of you characters...hey, thanks!

I actually had plans to give it to my mom when I started it. Now I try not to touch it at all. I'll put my dish washing gloves on when I throw it in the box :lol: . I actually didn't have any problems with it until I drilled it and started turning it. I'll just have to stick to briar.

Nice! Top reminds me of the layering in an open top apple pie!

Dave, that pipe is fantastic!

I really love your carving work. I wish I had half of your carving skills.

I am honored to have played even a minor role is such a fine piece of craftsmanship.

Todd

btw, now I've got to get the other half of the block out and get it drying...

If anyone is interested, I drilled the smoke hole and the tobacco chamber and then boiled the block (much to my wife's dismay) in the kitchen for 4 hours and let it set in the water to cool over night. Then I taped up the end grain and let the block dry slowly for about 4 or 5 months before I fitted the stem. Seems to have worked a charm.

Holy expletive! That is bar none the best looking olive wood pipe I've ever seen. I doff my hat to you sir!

Jim

Jeez guys...yer gonna make me blush. Thanks for being so nice. It really does mean a lot to me.

Now, if you think THIS little item is interesting, just wait til I post up the set of twin daggers I'm working on. 6150 steel. The matching handles are (hold on now) Dual Dyed Stabilized Copper and Green Box Elder Burl. AND they are spiral carved like the sides of the pipe here. AND they have a stand into which they slide, side by side, that can slide out from a base to act as a scabbard. Fittings on the daggers are silver, copper, plus black and ivory paper micarta. Finally, there are three medallions made from copper and brass, framed in silver that act as butt caps on the knives and a catch on the scabbard. So if you think there's a little planning and effort in the pipe...the daggers are over the moon. IMHO.

Blackhorse":l9uludvy said:
Jeez guys...yer gonna make me blush. Thanks for being so nice. It really does mean a lot to me.

Now, if you think THIS little item is interesting, just wait til I post up the set of twin daggers I'm working on. 6150 steel. The matching handles are (hold on now) Dual Dyed Stabilized Copper and Green Box Elder Burl. AND they are spiral carved like the sides of the pipe here. AND they have a stand into which they slide, side by side, that can slide out from a base to act as a scabbard. Fittings on the daggers are silver, copper, plus black and ivory paper micarta. Finally, there are three medallions made from copper and brass, framed in silver that act as butt caps on the knives and a catch on the scabbard. So if you think there's a little planning and effort in the pipe...the daggers are over the moon. IMHO.
First,
That pipe looks amazing! It looks like a vanilla cupcake to me.

Second,
You absolutely must post a picture of those when you are done. They sound incredible.

Maybe I'll take a few 'in progress' pics and show the setup in pieces.

My big concern is the heat treating and tempering. Daggers are notorious for warping all over the place and with a double sided blade I can't do a differential temper by just heating the cutting side up to temp (even though heat is directed at the spine). So I have to fudge up a charcoal forge with forced air, take the whole thing to non-magnetic temp and on up to about 1600 F., try to hold it for 10 min. and then oil quench...the knife thrust downward vertically into the oil. The 6150 is new to me, but if it works out the result is a blade that is very tough and shock resistant. I gotta get my courage screwed up!

This is a photo from Albion Swords, where I got the blades. The tips on mine have been rounded.

mini-pompeii.jpg

It's fracking weird as hell. It's totally charming. :heart: A little stout for such an intricate and delicate design, but the contrast works. Nice job.

8)