On aging tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim in Ohio

Reaction score
I have become interested in jarring some of my favorite tobaccos. I've seen postings where brothers describe how some tobaccos get better after a few years in the cellar.
I'm curious if there are some tobaccos that are NOT well suited to jarring/aging. I'd hate to make the investment in storing up a nice stockpile only to find out later that for certain blends/cuts/types I should have just bought on an as-needed basis. I have some FVF flakes in a Ball jar, I'm thinking no problemo there... what about something like various C&D English blends where I open the tin, smoke some and decide to save the rest for later? Will these take well to the jar? Do they take on enhanced qualities with age like flakes do?

Thanks

I'm sure the other fellows will speak from experience, but I can say based on the excellent Cellaring FAQ that aromatics are usually not suited to aging, and burley-heavy blends are also not the best for aging (though burley is often joined in blends by Virginia, which will age nicely.) English blends will age, but the FAQ also says that very long aging (i.e. several decades) may put latakia or orientals past their primes.

That said, you can preserve any tobacco for a few years; it just may not change much.

Let me mention that moisture seems to be required for aging. Flake tobaccos often have more moisture than they appear and give me a little more leeway on jarring. C&D tobaccos are often on the dry side and I'd recommend jarring a tin quickly after opening - even rehydrating a dry bulk a bit (too much moisture increases risk of mold.) Of course your humidity situation is different in Dayton Ohio than mine in the desert at Dayton Nevada, but I've had variable results with C&D English style mixtures with dry mixtures rather static. With static tobacco maybe wiping my pipe down with fabric softener would facilitate loading the bowl! :joker:

Virginias will age wonderfully especially flakes, though all VA's are ideal for long term aging. If you ever get a chance to smoke one that's 10, 20 or even 30 years old you should really partake. It can be as friend Chuck Stanion says, "a near religious experience". Latakia will smooth out to a point but after ten years it can sometimes lose it's full luster. Burley is a total crap shoot. I'm currently smoking some early 1970's A&C Petersen's burley flake which is just sublime but I've also smoked well aged burley which tasted pretty much like any modern stuff you could buy today. Aromatics, anything that's cased or over the counter "drug store blends" will likely not improve a bit....

Justpipes":f38yj957 said:
Danish_Pipe_Guy":f38yj957 said:
or over the counter "drug store blends" will likely not improve a bit....
:scratch:

:D
Tobaccocellar.com

Amazing Stats: no reflection on anything!!!

Most cellared blends (by weight):
A & C Petersen-Escudo Navy Deluxe with 29 lbs 11.3 oz
Generic-Generic with 25 lbs 9 oz
Samuel Gawith-Full Virginia Flake with 25 lbs 7.8 oz
John Middleton Inc-Walnut with 25 lbs 4 oz
Rattray-Hal O' the Wynd with 21 lbs 8.2 oz
Dunhill-Royal Yacht with 19 lbs 9.2 oz
Russ Ouellette-Anniversary Kake with 15 lbs 3.5 oz
GL Pease-Union Square with 14 lbs 10 oz
Samuel Gawith-Best Brown Flake with 13 lbs 11.6 oz
GL Pease-Fillmore with 13 lbs 10.7 oz :joker:

bronxbill":5kgdh654 said:
You do realize that the whole 25lbs of Walnut is cellared by JP :)
I think I will follow JP's example and order some more before it is taxed out of my ability to buy more.
There are others on that list, I can't find a supplier with product to purchase. I order they send out of stock or no longer available. I have been waiting 3 weeks for availability for some SHPC Great Hiatus from Pipes and Cigars,com.
Ed

PegLegEd":gzsu1cf5 said:
bronxbill":gzsu1cf5 said:
You do realize that the whole 25lbs of Walnut is cellared by JP :)
I think I will follow JP's example and order some more before it is taxed out of my ability to buy more.
There are others on that list, I can't find a supplier with product to purchase. I order they send out of stock or no longer available. I have been waiting 3 weeks for availability for some SHPC Great Hiatus from Pipes and Cigars,com.
Ed
I've got about 15 lbs put away myself. My last order of Walnut took my etailer about 10 days to round it up, we are not the only ones who know good tobacco. Of course, JP might have single-handedly caused that shortage.

These days you gotta grab the good stuff when you can get it.

I enjoy most every post I read on this Forum and find the friendly attitude most everyone has in posting and responding very refreshing. Pick on me let somebody else rest then pick on them again latter and let me rest type of thing.

If I wanted to be depressed I would watch Tv. or go down to Thompson's Funeral Home and sit.
Just my opinion.
Ed

PegLegEd":w3j8671s said:
I enjoy most every post I read on this Forum and find the friendly attitude most everyone has in posting and responding very refreshing. Pick on me let somebody else rest then pick on them again latter and let me rest type of thing.

If I wanted to be depressed I would watch Tv. or go down to Thompson's Funeral Home and sit.
Just my opinion.
Ed
Ok... I agree... Something gotcha depressed in this thread Ed? :suspect:

No Sir not at all!

I would be depressed at the funeral home though!!!!

Burley veterans like the esteemed brother Vito will aver that burley does age. He smoked many different brands and in so doing found old screw-top tins that externally suggested aging due to the swelling of the tin. On opening the aroma was bliss, as was the wonderfully aged tobacco.

Burley veterans like the esteemed brother Vito will aver that burley does age. He smoked many different brands and in so doing found old screw-top tins that externally suggested aging due to the swelling of the tin. On opening the aroma was bliss, as was the wonderfully aged tobacco.

http://nocturne.org/aging/

Do OTC tobaccos age or not that was my reference. :D

As to the post recommending amoke of 10,20,30 year old tobacco as a religeous experience, I concurr!! I acquired a cutter top tin of Dunhill Prince of Wales With the Royal crest stating to the late King George. Dates it from 1954-1962. It is an English mixture with I think some perique, which ceased production in the 60s. I has lots of tiny sugar crystals throughout. It is by far the best virginia mixture I have ever smoked. I am rationing it to no more than one bowl a month. The jury is still out as far as I am concerned as to latakia and orientals degrading past a certain time frame. I have noticed with Craven mixture, having 3 ages of tins that the middle ones were considerably better the the oldest one. I have 8 year old, 15 and 30. Could also be just my taste preference. Gary