On-going Restoration Projects

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GK, you know restoration eventually leads to actual pipe making, don't you? 8)

Kyle Weiss":j95otoll said:
I especially dig the re-worked stem. Bold move, but you pulled it off. 8)
Thank you, Kyle. If you look at the very first pic you can see the stem had a slight horizontal bulge right where the saddle "breaks". It was more noticeable after the rustication emphasized the straight line of the shank, and was bugging the hell out me. I just had to do something about it.

ruraldean":ojra7wx9 said:
...And this is a real compliment because I usually don't like pipes which are a mix of smooth and rusticated. Stunning!
Thank you, sir. I know what you mean. A lot of partial rustication looks like it was just done to cover the flaws, without regard to the overall shape of the pipe. I try to find ways to compliment the carver's lines.

George Kaplan":90hwsp1i said:
ruraldean":90hwsp1i said:
...And this is a real compliment because I usually don't like pipes which are a mix of smooth and rusticated. Stunning!
Thank you, sir. I know what you mean. A lot of partial rustication looks like it was just done to cover the flaws, without regard to the overall shape of the pipe. I try to find ways to compliment the carver's lines.
Wow! You really did hit it out of the park--as one who very much favors partial rustication, when done right, I must say this is one hell of an impressive makeover!

Great work! I had to go back to make sure it was the same pipe :D . Nice rustication too. A job well done.

Wow! Nice job George, The rustication is awesome!!! I have yet to make a rusticated, I hope when I do it is something like that :cheers:

George Kaplan":uhfl0op0 said:
Woodworking has been an off-and-on hobby of mine ever since my dad gave me a set of scaled-down carpenter's tools for my fourth birthday. It's only natural, then, that I'd find some overlap with pipe collecting. Although I've never crafted a pipe from the block up, I've refurbished quite a few. Before joining this forum I didn't photograph any, so when I posted THIS thread some time ago:
https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t17291p15-can-this-one-be-salvaged
it was no surprise that everyone said it was impossible. (Everyone but Riff Raff. Thanks, bro. ;) ) While I didn't wind up with that particular Pete, I've managed to bring some life back to some pretty hopeless briars. I like a challenge, and nothing's more satisfying than finding something for five or ten dollars on Ebay that no one else wants, and seeing what I can do with it.

I thought I'd start this thread to share some of these pieces as I get to them. I've got one really nasty one (pics at the bottom of the thread linked above) that I'll post step-by-step photos of, but that one will have to wait. There are a few in line before it.

To start things off, here's one I just finished this week.
It's a Chippendale, which I am given to understand is a Ben Wade second, although I've had some trouble verifying that claim. For the pittance I paid, I don't really care.

Before...

And after

More pics coming soon!
Kevin Wrote: Bringing back to life an old thread the same as George did with this old pipe. What an amazing job you did on this one. Scrolled up & down twice as i couldn't believe it was the same pipe. I thought most rustication work was done with a chisel by hand but you said you did this with a dremel tool & 7 different sizes of bits. Amazing. Time to go play with my dremel. (Not in the rubber room either).

Good looking work! Especially like the bit treatment!

George, Just a amazing :affraid: transformation your created, you have what it takes to be a true artist sir.

George, get going on the project. Let's see the next pipe and the one after that. I want these two done by Saturday after next.

Once again, thanks for the compliments, fellas. I had originally meant this post to be added to as I cleaned up more old beaters. My life didn't really cooperate with that notion. Not long after posting ol' Chip there I had to leave the forum for a couple of months, and still haven't gotten back to my workbench since then. Sorry to leave you hanging. Preppyhippy, I may actually be able to indulge your demands; I've got a couple of my neighbor's pipe sitting on a shelf right now. If I have time, I'll start them tonight.