One heck of a Guitar Solo

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_In_MO

Smoker of Fine Aromatics
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Starts at about 3:30 in the video and goes until 7:00.
Fans of the movie 'Heavy Metal' will recognize the song right away.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jojnQxEtJHA" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If I could play a guitar like that, I wouldn't be broke. 8)

Awesome guitar solo Rob! Back in the late 60's, 70's and 80's, guitar solo's were usually always part of any live show, as well as a treat on most albums, since they couldn't get any airplay otherwise.

Nowdays, it is rare to be treated to a great guitar solo. I can't help but wonder if it is due to most of the market being saturated by studio creations.

Dutch":00wzo746 said:
Nowdays, it is rare to be treated to a great guitar solo. I can't help but wonder if it is due to most of the market being saturated by studio creations.
When you do something like that live - you're at the mercy of your talents and abilities. If you screw up, everybody knows it. Back then, Live Albums were recorded Live and not retouched/altered/fixed in any way. These days, if your show is recorded live and prepared for an album any mistakes can be fixed with a simple copy/paste from a studio version to cover up a mishap. Add to that a few layers of distortion, and nobody would know the difference.

Not so back then!

I'm sure that studio wizardry and computers make it easier in today's world. You just don't often see long-extended versions of songs like you did back in the day. Not sure if it's marketing or what...

I remember that gold shirt, saw BOC with Sabbath on their "Black & Blue" tour (81-82?). Sadly, I wasn't smoking tobacco back then and remember little else of that show.......

That is a favorite BOC album, Fire of Unknown Origin. Loaded with great tunes, Joan Crawford, etc.

I just downloaded the album, I only had it on Vinyl.

Fire_Of_Unknown_origin.jpg

riff raff":aqf3u30h said:
If you like their earlier & heavier stuff, check out 'On Your Feet Or On Your Knees' - it's their 2-record Live Album that came out right before Agents Of Fortune.

Also worth noting is 'Extra Terrestrial Intelligence', another 2-record Live Album from the early 80's.

Rob_In_MO":7ldw17ez said:
riff raff":7ldw17ez said:
If you like their earlier & heavier stuff, check out 'On Your Feet Or On Your Knees' - it's their 2-record Live Album that came out right before Agents Of Fortune.
Good one, I have that on vinyl as well.

Here's another one for you guys who like the Guitar work in the earlier video I posted... 8)

The first guitarist to solo is Allen Lanier, who was actually their Keyboardist.
Then, of course, Buck puts the icing on the cake. The Master at work. :twisted:

The guitar works start at about 2:30 and goes for quite a while.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d4dbvMgJMno" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anthonyx2b":p0ae3t2s said:
eh, needs more cowbell
Funny at the time, but that skit got old after a while.

If you watch the videos, Buck is one hell of a guitarist. They don't make 'em like that anymore, that's for sure. On the fly key and chord changes while playing at incredible speeds and never missing a lick.

It's simply amazing to see a guitarist take off in a particular direction and 5 or 6 minutes later come back and continue the song. That's a talent that many of today's big guitarists don't have. If you watch different youtube videos of theirs - of the exact same song - the solos change regularly. It's not just one particular solo being played over and over, it's kind of 'whatever they feel like at the time'.

Being able to do that is what separates a Master from a good guitarist.

Rob_In_MO":14az0yt3 said:
Anthonyx2b":14az0yt3 said:
eh, needs more cowbell
Funny at the time, but that skit got old after a while.

If you watch the videos, Buck is one hell of a guitarist. They don't make 'em like that anymore, that's for sure. On the fly key and chord changes while playing at incredible speeds and never missing a lick.

It's simply amazing to see a guitarist take off in a particular direction and 5 or 6 minutes later come back and continue the song. That's a talent that many of today's big guitarists don't have. If you watch different youtube videos of theirs - of the exact same song - the solos change regularly. It's not just one particular solo being played over and over, it's kind of 'whatever they feel like at the time'.

Being able to do that is what separates a Master from a good guitarist.
That's for sure, soloing isnt always easy, especially to that extent