one man band-Jano Barbone

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lb

Reaction score
Last summer(Winter for them) i had the chance to visit Argentina.In a meeting of their local pipe club(buenos aires pipa club) i had a chat with a gentleman named Jano Barbone.He told me that he was growing tobacco and gave me a sample of his flue-cured virginia type.Not bad,altrough not as sweet as USA virginia,it did not burned my tongue and had a nice woodsy taste.My surprise came when he told me that he is processing some perique with native burley(wich he also grows).Of course i asked him a sample but he said it is not finished yet but as soon as it is ready,he will.In the event of the conversation,it trascends that he also process latakia but the results has not been as good as expected so he is still doing some adjustments.I was already impressed by the fact that the same person grows and process his tobacco when then he also showed some pipes he has made.Good quality briars.Maybe not at the height of Ser Jacopo or Mastro,but good job indeed.This is only a part time hobby for him. How many of us have the determination of a one man band?. This gentleman lives in Santa Fe(not California or New Mexico),Argentina.

That's remarkable! I don't think I've ever heard of another person doing that.

I imagine some tobacco farmers have whittled a cob or fruitwood pipe to smoke their own crop, but actual briar pipes and long-process tobacco? That's something pretty special.