Oom Paul - favorite or seldom smoked?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstodvictory

Reaction score
I had never tried an Oom Paul before yesterday. I always figured they would gurgle and be difficult to clean. Because I'm a sucker for a Giubileo D'Oro if the price is right, I bought this yesterday along with the pictured Bird's Eye Flake. These and a book came together for my first smoke of the day. BTY, babysinister and PipedJimmy, here's a salute to you. I have enjoyed St. Bruno Flake over the years. This is one of three dried up cans I must rehydrate to continue enjoying.

Impressions of my first Oom Paul:

1) Had a great view of the char, light and tamping - cool!

2) Very comfortable no-hands smoking - cool!

3) Gurgled with the Bird's Eye Flake, but the water collects in the mortise and is reachable with a pipe cleaner - not a big problem.

4) It was gunkier than most pipes after one smoke - could have been the tobacco.

5) Smoke in the eyes - not cool!

6) Wearing a puffy down jacket (reading in my car)......can't turn head very much.

Overall - might be a good TV pipe, could make you look cool in a photo, does not get the highest scores from me.

Oom Paul fans - what setting and tobacco brings forth your enjoyment of this shape?

Steve

giubileo_oompaul_1.jpg

I've always been intrigued by the shape but have never owned a true Oom Paul. I have a couple of true full bent pipes similar to an one that smoke well. In fact I smoked one of them today. Mike Brissett's Danish style version of an Oom Paul.

I have a Savinelli Estrada Oom Paul and I love it. I smoke burlies exclusively in it. It's my favorite - sitting in the recliner reading - pipe.

I have a Pete 306 that's pretty much an Oom Paul, and I like it. When I had my own bachelor pad and could smoke in the house, I would lie down on the couch with the pipe stem in my mouth and the bowl on my chest, and puff away whils't reading a good book. That was my favorite way to smoke it...

JP-- that is one stylish Brissett!

My Oom Paul is absolutely my favorite pipe. Great for relaxing with a good book or my laptop. It's also a great pipe when I am out on the town. Not only is it easier to clench, but it is easier to palm when making my way through a crowded bar. And the unusual shape often draws comments from people that are used to seeing me with a pipe.

The Janitor

I own a Cavicchi full bent barrel and it's one of my favorites. OPs can be tough to drill right but Cavicchi has mastered the drilling on these, a cleaner glides to the bottom of the bowl. Not that I ever have to use one (mid-smoke) because it smokes dry as a bone. My pipe is only 47 grams so you can't even feel it when it's clenched.

My only negative is sometimes the smoke stream goes into the eyes which is bothersome.

IMG_8378.jpg

I have had a few, but pawned them off. Perhaps it was the occasional 'smoke in the eyes' thing? Not opposed in principle however - if I were to come across one which struck my fancy, I certainly would like to try the shape again.

I adore my Hungarian made by our own Sasquatch, but as full-bent pipes go it's a statistical outlier, as it's so honkin' big. I do love the chinresting comfort of a full-bent stem!

I too have a Sasquatch Hungarian - the Lugosi! Suffice it to say that it's one of my four favorite pipes out of a total 40 pipes I own. It's reserved for Virginia and VaBur flakes, and smoking it puts me in The Zone, every time. Perfectly styled and engineered, out of excellent briar. Not as radically bent as a traditional OomPaul, and with this one that's a good thing indeed. Smokes cool and, mirabile dictu, no gurgle at all. One in a million, I think.

4232203261_37cda12fd5_m.jpg

babysinister":fosy4sdp said:
I too have a Sasquatch Hungarian - the Lugosi! Suffice it to say that it's one of my four favorite pipes out of a total 40 pipes I own. It's reserved for Virginia and VaBur flakes, and smoking it puts me in The Zone, every time. Perfectly styled and engineered, out of excellent briar. Not as radically bent as a traditional OomPaul, and with this one that's a good thing indeed. Smokes cool and, mirabile dictu, no gurgle at all. One in a million, I think.

4232203261_37cda12fd5_m.jpg
Nice looking pipe!

Two in a million--mine also is free of gurgle. Mine has a rustication where the bowl and shank join, but otherwise, a very similar pipe.

Sinister's pipe would fit inside yours, though, Doc. Statistical outlier indeed.

Oom Pauls are really hard to build right. And unlike some other pipes, if you miss a little, you are outright done.

Done right though, they are the nicest shape for driving, writing, ... or even carving pipes!

Sasquatch":2tpcspbv said:
Sinister's pipe would fit inside yours, though, Doc. Statistical outlier indeed. [..]
Would fit inside his what?? Over my dead body...!

I only own two. Both were special commissions made for me by Michael Parks. Truthfully I like the shape's looks far more than their performance. I'm of the school that a billiard or a canadian outsmokes any fullbent.

Smokin002.jpg

PipePix13001.jpg

That's okay DPG... you just don't know any better.
icon_jokercolor.png

The vast majority of full bent pipes have some technical issue, the most usual being an impediment of the airway by the tenon. It's a hard shape to make into a technically good pipe, and an extremely easy shape to make a gurgler out of. Only through the most rigorous and dedicated testing and re-testing, a self-sacrificing determination to make non gurgling Oom Pauls, have I, through a veil of blood, sweat, and tears, been able to overcome this obstacle.*

*Also 40 dollar briar blocks, some good luck, and paying off Babysinister and Doc Manhattan.

Sasquatch":utwe1nw8 said:
That's okay DPG... you just don't know any better.
icon_jokercolor.png

The vast majority of full bent pipes have some technical issue, the most usual being an impediment of the airway by the tenon. It's a hard shape to make into a technically good pipe, and an extremely easy shape to make a gurgler out of. Only through the most rigorous and dedicated testing and re-testing, a self-sacrificing determination to make non gurgling Oom Pauls, have I, through a veil of blood, sweat, and tears, been able to overcome this obstacle.*

*Also 40 dollar briar blocks, some good luck, and paying off Babysinister and Doc Manhattan.
...Very foolish of you, Mr. Bond.... I'm afraid the price will be going up....