Oom Paul

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since somehow we've got TWO posts about the SAME subject going today I'll play twice!!  :twisted: :twisted:  Here's the only Oom Paul, or Hungarian as it was also known as, I have. I got it back in December last year from Bro Matia , a BBB "Own Make" Warwick w/a blasted finish. Hangs from my dentures well and smokes good also !! :p 

Brewdude":otnygb99 said:
My one and only Oom is an old Edwards Algerian Briar I got as a gift from a bud of mine back in the 90's. He had it for some number of years, and it's always been a fine smoker.

Haven't used it much lately. Guess it's time to fire it back up.

Dang thing has such a large 'baccy chamber though.......

Guess I need to find a blend that won't put me into orbit or cause me to get tired of it before the bowl is finished!

:cherry:

Cheers,

RR
Wow, so it's been a full year since I posted that and still haven't fired up the Edwards Oom. Looks like I need to get a round tuit!

:p 

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":3r14myfp said:
Brewdude":3r14myfp said:
My one and only Oom is an old Edwards Algerian Briar I got as a gift from a bud of mine back in the 90's. He had it for some number of years, and it's always been a fine smoker.

Haven't used it much lately. Guess it's time to fire it back up.

Dang thing has such a large 'baccy chamber though.......

Guess I need to find a blend that won't put me into orbit or cause me to get tired of it before the bowl is finished!

:cherry:

Cheers,

RR
Wow, so it's been a full year since I posted that and still haven't fired up the Edwards Oom. Looks like I need to get a round tuit!

:p 

Cheers,

RR
Eh, do it tomorrow! What's the rush? All these kids go too fast.

I have two Savinelli's Oom Pauls. One is an Oscar the other a Hercules. I love them. I also have a no name Italian estate Oom Paul. I gave it the old booze and salt treatment after a good cleaning but haven't put more than one or two bowls through it yet.

I've been getting more and more into Oom Pauls lately. For a long time I've had a Connoisseur panel Oom Paul that is on my "last ten I would sell" list. More recently, I picked up a Dunhill Tanshell 591 and a little later, a Shell 591 (both dated 1960). Last one to be added was a Jobey Extra Oom Paul with gorgeous grain that smokes like the proverbial dream. I'm selling off some pipes in hopes of being able to afford a nice root 591. I like Virginia flakes and the Oom Paul shape was MADE for them.

I think that a tall, slender bowl is important in an Oom Paul. The old Barling Oom Pauls were, to my mind, perfection . . . with the 591 a close second.

Several years ago, Ed Burak (Connoisseur) had a gigantic Oom Paul with no webbing between the bowl and the shank. It had a curved smoke hole!

RobD

Love my 10 OOMPAULs! Especially when driving, if the airbag deploys it won't drive thr pipe into my throat like it would a straight shape pipe.

I have never met an oom paul i did not love. i even had a pioneer meerschaum oompaul . All were great smokers. i got my first oompaul - an earl of essex - about 1971 at a garage sale for 25 cents. Best quarter I ever spent