Ooops! Overreamed some cake.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoker13

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
So what's a guy to do on a hot, humid day? Sit inside the AC house and clean some pipes to feel productive and good about oneself.

This I did with a few of my beauties, and with a couple that had cake beyond an acceptable point, I addressed with my excellent PIPNET pipe reamer set.

One of the pipes, a favorite Ser Jacopo picta Van Gogh, had uneven cake problems, i.e. much more in the top third than the bottom two thirds. Well, I only meant to even things out, but of course I ended up going beyond the point I wanted to and the result is that I have a stripe going completely around the circumference of the pipe where there is a striation of cake and wood. In one spot, horror of horrors, there is nothing but bare wood.

Now, I have many favorite pipes, like all of us, so it would be foolish to say this is my favorite pipe, but it IS right up there as one of many I consider as top echelon.

So has the pipe been irreparably damaged or can I gently and gingerly nurse it back by slowly bringing back the cake in the damaged area(s)? This has never happened to me so I am at a complete loss as to just how best to judge what has been done.

As always, I appreciate any and all help from the Brotherhood.

I'm sorry to hear about your accident which indeed it is. Don't blame yourself!

What I will do is to fill the pipe only two thirds to start off with. In time new cake/cover will develop because of smoke leaving the bowl. Take it easy at first to prevent burning a hole or gap where you've only got raw briar now. It will take some time but eventually your problem will solve itself. Briar is much harder than we believe.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Maybe just smoke the next bowl or two carefully around that area. It'll cake up pretty quickly and be no worse for wear.

If you're a little afraid to smoke it with the bare wood you might cover the area of concern with a little pipe mud. But I agree with the others that it should do just fine using the methods they recommended. :)

AJ

I used to intentionally strip pipes to the wood... buying estates, do what ya do ya know.
Your pipe will be okay. Load up some burley to get a fast cake, then follow it with a few bowls of virginia to harden it up. Good to go, easy peasey.

I agree with the group - your pipe is fine. Having refurbished over 100 estate pipes to date, I can confirm that they do not suffer from being reamed to the briar for a fresh start. Also keep in mind that your pipe is already broken in, so no need to go through the 1/2 bowl, 3/4 bowl, etc process all over again.

Enjoy the pipe!

Agree with the above statements. I regularly ream my Wiley Dub/Rhody back to virtually bare wood, more often by accident than anything, and it never seems to suffer for it. Dang thing builds cake quicker than anything so I have to keep after it.

Cheers,

RR

My .02 is that reaming can be too aggressive a solution to a non-problem. A bit of sand paper, judiciously applied, is sufficient, it says here. After smoking your pipe, having run a cleaner through it, double the cleaner and take any remaining debris off the walls with it. This will help build a thin but even cake that will help protect the briar. That said, the urge to tinker is a constant temptation for many smokers, and a piper can have far worse habits. (Reaming with a sharp-pointed pocket knife, being one.) As others have said, your pipe should be fine with a bit of care. Remain calm. Carry on.

P.S. If you do get a stubborn, uneven cake, a small rat-tail file offers the advantage of applying controlled, limited attention to the problem spot. And you likely already have such a tool in your handy person's box.

Is the chamber rim still circular? :lol: I've done this several times and the thought never crossed my mind that I had done any harm. There is no way I could pick out which pipes they were.

Looking at it from a different angle, unless they're a mass production unit with a bowl coating (to the distaste of many), most new pipes start off as bare wood in the bowl.

Load her up and smoke her!

Stick":4q6gcbus said:
Looking at it from a different angle, unless they're a mass production unit with a bowl coating (to the distaste of many), most new pipes start off as bare wood in the bowl.

There you've got it! :D

SpeedyPete":buwuoz1z said:
Stick":buwuoz1z said:

There you've got it! :D
Sums it up, ain'a?

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR

Stick":s8gbh9s2 said:

Yuuuhhp. On the head, Stick.

I've never had need of a reamer. A bit of rolled up 220 grit sandpaper is all I've ever needed. Better control and less risk of disaster, I think.

One of my favorite pipes is a flea market pre-Republic Peterson; someone over-reamed the bowl to the point that you can tell the wall thickness has been thinned.  The rim of the bowl has been treated pretty roughly, and the bowl has a crack in it.  Smokes great and I love that pipe!

301981b0-24e9-49f7-881a-29afbdde04e2_zps22r8cgtu.jpg