Open letter to Sam Gawith

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim in Ohio

Reaction score
Dear Sam,

If you are reading this, you should know that I have smoked your Full Virginia Flake and I have found it to be quite good. However, there are other good flakes out there too... many of which... are you listening? are OBTAINABLE. I am starting to lose interest in FVF due to it's conspicuous absence on the market. :suspect:

This is reminiscent of my experience with the television series "Lost" which I initially found intriguing, but quickly lost interest due to their habit of making fans wait unusually long for the next season to get underway.

You are putting me in a very uncomfortable position here... I'm giving you two weeks to get your weed into the larders of American e-tailers. Should you fail to meet this deadline I am turning my back on you forever.

Good day Sir.

Tim in Ohio :x

Tim, I double dog dare you to keep your word,,,

(note to self, one less competitor for FVF)

Considering Samuel Gawith 1 died in 1871, Samual Gawith 2 died in 1886 and Samual Gawith 3 (who had a brother William Henry Gawith that set up a partnership with his brother in law, Henry Hoggarth) passed on in 1953 , I doubt any of them will read your letter.

YEAH!

I aitn't smoking any more Full Virginia Flake.

But please oh please oh please oh please send a little Commonwealth my way, huh?

From what I understand, Gawith is a tiny operation working at fever pitch to try to meet the US market demand and still provide their other markets with the same supply and same quality.

In the meantime, I will smoke my Mac Baren and wait patiently.

I've had some Maccy B's Dark Twist Roll Cake and some McC CC 2003 or 2004 (honestly can't remember) I don't feel neglected. :twisted:

puros_bran":dg89gonc said:
Considering Samuel Gawith 1 died in 1871, Samual Gawith 2 died in 1886 and Samual Gawith 3 (who had a brother William Henry Gawith that set up a partnership with his brother in law, Henry Hoggarth) passed on in 1953 , I doubt any of them will read your letter.
PB, I read your post and for just a moment, I almost cut the guy some slack... being dead and all. But then I thought, "Naw... EVEN A DEAD GUY SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET HIS PRODUCT TO MARKET QUICKER THAN THIS!" I hope you are paying attention SAM!!! You got 1 week and 6 days! :twisted:

I still have 8oz of FVF cellared. But I'm not worrying too much about it's future availability because I prefer BBF anyway and I have a lot of that cellared. Wait...! BBF is also SG. Darn.

And it gets worse too...

I talked to a true tobacco insider about this very thing last week. The rumors he's hearing are that Sam Gawith recently fired most of it's work force and the company is in utter chaos right now. Retailers are very discouraged with them at the moment.

I'm also hearing that tins may not reach retailers shelves until this fall or even later though bulk will be back much sooner.

You heard it here first.....

Danish_Pipe_Guy":148t97uy said:
And it gets worse too...

I talked to a true tobacco insider about this very thing last week. The rumors he's hearing are that Sam Gawith recently fired most of it's work force and the company is in utter chaos right now. Retailers are very discouraged with them at the moment.

I'm also hearing that tins may not reach retailers shelves until this fall or even later though bulk will be back much sooner.

You heard it here first.....
Twitter confirms!

Personally, I like the SG's that I like, but I'm not married to them. Bracken Flake, FVF, and St. James Flake are the ones I enjoy most. 1792 is ok. It's dawned on me how replaceable they are to me. Compared to Bracken Flake I prefer Pete's Irish Flake and GH Dark Flake Unscented, and there are enough great VAPers out there to make you forget St. James Flake ever existed. And I like GH Brown Irish X more than SG Brown Rope #4. The only one where I haven't really found anything similar/better is Full VA Flake. There are other VA's I like more like Dan Limerick, but they aren't really the same. The thing I really like about SG tobaccos though is that the bulks are under $30/pound at Mars.

I just ordered 8 ounces of Sam Gawith FVF and 8 oz of BBF from pipesandcigars.com. Yes, it is back on the shelves. So I guess all of you scoffers were wrong who doubted if my "Open Letter" would work. He didn't even take the full two weeks I was allowing.

Brothers, I'm glad I was able to help with this. Let me know if you need me to tackle any other issues. I promise I will always try to use my powers for "good." :king: