Opening a Calabash

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshpipes

Reaction score
I recently picked up a no-name bash from puros_bran for a comfortably low price. Having always wanted to try out a calabash, this was the perfect opportunity and I seized it.

When I got the pipe, I discovered that, as stated, it had an ok draw, but it was too tight for me. After a little inspection, I ascertained 3 problems.

1. The bowl only had 1 small hole which was off center.

Having done some research, I found that a few high end makers generally put three holes in a triangular configuration in their calabash bowls. Thinking I had nothing to lose, I used my dremel and drilled two more holes in the bowl to create the vortex effect within the calabash which supposedly improves their smoking qualities. Step one done.

2. The airway was pretty narrow at about 2 mm.

Using a 3.5mm gimlet, I opened up the airway to allow less restricted delivery of the smoke. Step two done.

3. The stem also had a narrow passage.

I heated and straightened out the stem so that it could be opened up. Then, using my dremel, I opened up the stem to 3.5 mm at the shank end. Then using a 1.5mm bit, I funneled the airway at the bit. Then I reheated the stem to bend it back. Step three done.

Now the draw is wide open and effortless and I can smoke all the way down to the bottom no problem. This pipe delivers a cool smoke and excellent flavor. I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

calaba10.jpg

calaba11.jpg

I'm pretty fascinated by the success of this project. If anyone has a pipe that's just sitting around because of an overly tight draw and would like it opened for free, minus shipping to me, PM me. I'll even cover return shipping. I am new to this so I can't guarantee I'll get it perfect, but I would love the opportunity to practice some more. I'd do more on my own pipes, but I don't have any more that need to be opened. I'm also looking at lots on e-bay to see if I can get some pipes to practice on.

Swell job on the project...

...I'm not much for calabash pipes, but that one is actually nice looking! 8)

Kyle Weiss":g5lr8phf said:
...I'm not much for calabash pipes, but that one is actually nice looking! 8)
As far as shape goes, neither am I. I've been intrigued recently by them though, having heard so much about how well they smoke. Well, this puppy sure proves it for me!

Thanks for the kind words, there Kyle. Good to know you can be counted on for positive reinforcement and enabling. ;)

UberHuberMan, i'll have to keep this in mind. Right now I only have one that's a little tight, but it's not too bad.

Great job, BTW! That's really a cool pipe. Now I want one, darn it!

UberHuberMan":igi9u7ka said:
Thanks for the kind words, there Kyle. Good to know you can be counted on for positive reinforcement and enabling. ;)
I'm a two-trick evil pony by design. :twisted:

Dos that meer 'bash bowl come out pretty easily to clean dottle and mess?

Kyle Weiss":dyi3n3pi said:
Sure does! Interesting thing about this bowl is that it's actually ceramic. Not sure if that makes much of a difference, but it sure is pretty!

UberHuberMan":plngiuo1 said:
Kyle Weiss":plngiuo1 said:
Sure does! Interesting thing about this bowl is that it's actually ceramic. Not sure if that makes much of a difference, but it sure is pretty!
Huh. Didn't know they made calabash pipes with ceramic/porcelain bowls--not that I'm shocked. I'd imagine it's fine, likely doesn't soak up the moisture meerschaum does, but if it smokes good, it smokes good. 8)

Now you could prolly sell it back to PB for double :lol:

A gourd calabash with oak stand is on my someday list. Cool stuff.

No, I only smoked it two or three times the 2-3 years I had it. Wasn't my thing.
I'm glad it's found a home where it will be used and cared for.

Good job on the calabash. I haven't braved bending a stem, I have a Wellington Jumbo the draw felt restricted I was 50% sure how to straighten it and 50% not willing to risk it,

Yea straighting it would have worked better than the wire, I pushed through the stem wall thinking it would clear the obstruction :(

I like the calabash pipe, I read on the board here not may ppl are a fan of them, I can see they are cumbersome, not sitting easily, abit bulky.

All the cons aside I have one and it smokes quite well I enjoy it, Actually smoked it yesterday.

I like the multi hole draw mod, I bet that does help. :cheers: