Opening Up a Meerschaum

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill

Reaction score
What a difference opening up the airway makes. I have a large Salim reverse claw meerschaum that colored beautifully but always smoked just "ok" due to the tight draw. So, I finally got around to sending it off to Floyd Norwood to have the draft hole opened up in the shank and a new hand cut Lucite stem added to replace the cheap acrylic one that came with the pipe. Total cost was $22.00, and the postage was paid by for by the local B&M as a service to their customers. The pipe shipped to Floyd last Tuesday and arrived back home today.

The hand cut stem is gorgeous and the pipe now smokes great. I can see this pipe now getting smoked a whole lot more than it used to be.

I highly recommend Floyd Norwood for pipe repair, especially for meerschaum pipes. His prices can be found here.

http://www.norwoodspiperepair.com

I don't have any that need repair but the ones for sale are calling my name.

Dubbya":ph1suund said:
I don't have any that need repair but the ones for sale are calling my name.
Good prices on them too.

Bill, did he make a whole new stem for the pipe and also open up the pipe or just "re-drilled" the stem? Inquiring minds would like to know as I might want to do the same thing with a meerschaum that I have. Thanks for the info.

Mikem":0lcd1j48 said:
Bill, did he make a whole new stem for the pipe and also open up the pipe or just "re-drilled" the stem? Inquiring minds would like to know as I might want to do the same thing with a meerschaum that I have. Thanks for the info.
Bored out the shank and made a hand cut stem. He's definitely the go-to man when it comes to meerschaum pipe repair.

Here's his price list.

http://www.norwoodspiperepair.com/repair.html

all the guys I consider Meerschaum experts trust their meers to Floyd, I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

If you want to buy a new meer with the highest quality block and a beautiful, open draw, definitely check out Fikri Baki pipes sold in the USA by Deniz Ural... these are hands down the best pipes I've ever smoked.

I've got 2 Baki pipes,they have no issues at all.I would buy another someday.

Winslow :sunny:

Sitting in my chair when I got home from work yesterday was a box containing a Baki extended billiard lattice,,,I'm impressed with his work,,,open draw and smokes like a dream,,,very dry and cool,,, :pipe: