Opinions of "Hobbit's Weed"?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canicus61

Reaction score
Anyone every try this highly touted tobacco from Tewksbury? Shipping costs along with price of a couple of ounces seem to me (and it must be my Scottish heritage) an expensive 'try'......if you have tried, is there something similar that you've found?  I'm not primarily and aero lover but this one seems to have potential fora pleasant effect on bystanders and to be a satisfying smoke for an aromatic.....

Thanks in advance for your opinions - and of course you won't be held accountable in matters of taste - muck like whisky lovers, all tastes are tastes.......just looking for advice and this seems to be the place!

I tried the Shortcut to Mushrooms (thanks to Kyle)...I found it very delightful to smoke...quite tasty!  Haven't tried any other hobbit's weed.

OOps....didn't know it was a different tobacco...my bad.

Shortcut to Mushrooms is of course from Just for Him, where Hobbit's Weed is Tewksbury.

I haven't had Hobbit's Weed, but I have to say if you're looking for a tasty aromatic with a good roomnote - Trout Stream. I was impressed with how this stuff smoked and I am one for only a very occasional aromatic.

Trout Stream is a combination of cavendish tobaccos, but I'm not sure it's an aromatic, strictly speaking. To my knowledge there's no topping on it aside from the process of changing whatever burley/VA is present in the blend into cav.

Whatever the case, I too recommend TS. It's sweet and mellow...very pleasant taste and aroma, and there's nothing cloying, hot, or bitey about it in any way.

I also highly praise STM. There's a bit of latakia in there, but it's so incredibly suble that even the latakia haters I know enjoy this blend.

Thanks for opining -

I'll be giving TS a try for sure; price is great and shipping reasonable too...shortcut also sounds good - I love English blends and that may have 'enough of both' to satisfy....

Canicus, Pm me your address and I'll send you a sample of The Shortcut to try.

in response to the original question: Hobbits weed is a decent Aromatic, if a tad on the plain/bland side. It's sweet and tastes as advertized (cherry I believe) but it gets old fast. Very simple flavor with little to no complexity. GREAT room note though. I wouldn't discourage trying it, but I wouldn't pay a premium shipping price to get it.

nogbert":yxj0v0rq said:
in response to the original question: Hobbits weed is a decent Aromatic, if a tad on the plain/bland side. It's sweet and tastes as advertized (cherry I believe) but it gets old fast. Very simple flavor with little to no complexity. GREAT room note though. I wouldn't discourage trying it, but I wouldn't pay a premium shipping price to get it.
I'll second that--not much of an aro fan in general, and this didn't seem like anything special. I dumped my sample bowl 1/2 way down, and even the friend who normally likes aromatics thought it was cloying, like cherry-scented incense. The couple of times I've popped into Tewkesbury I've found it a neat little shop, but nobody who was working on the occasions when I was in seemed to know much about tobacco in general, and who blended theirs in particular. I suspect if Hobbit's Weed had a name like "Cherry Cordial" it would be virtually unknown outside of visitors to the Denver shop, but we pipe smokers can't resist a Tolkien reference, can we?!

When I'm looking to smoke an aromatic I do enjoy Hobbits Weed. It has nice soothing cherry and vanilla notes, however, it is indeed pricey and their shipping policy is expensive (you also have to sign for the package...be aware). I purchased a bulk supply of it a year ago before the shipping hazard went into place. Give it a shot though....a lot of people enjoy it.

Received my sample from DrumsandBeer - many thanks!

What an interesting tobacco - cavendish that's not overly chemical-tasting with latakia to give depth and complexity - really held my interest and minimized the surrounding 'damage' - lol....room note is great, and the taste has an excellent balance of are/english......this is going to be a 'regular' in the rotation and the tobacco I take with me when surrounded by non-pipers......I was really surprised at the great, earthy taste that held my interest to the bottom of the bowl!

Canicus61":4a4nk9oy said:
Received my sample from DrumsandBeer - many thanks!

What an interesting tobacco - cavendish that's not overly chemical-tasting with latakia to give depth and complexity - really held my interest and minimized the surrounding 'damage' - lol....room note is great, and the taste has an excellent balance of are/english......this is going to be a 'regular' in the rotation and the tobacco I take with me when surrounded by non-pipers......I was really surprised at the great, earthy taste that held my interest to the bottom of the bowl!
For readers that follow, the sample was of Just For Him's Shortcut to Mushrooms and not of Tewkesbury's Hobbit's Weed.