Opinions on P-lip pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspiveyjr

Reaction score
Can you give your pros and cons on P-lips, I am still relatively new to the pipe smoking world. I have a p-lip pipe and I am having to get used to it as far as holding it in my mouth, but I have heard this type help prevent tongue bite, true or false?

Instead you get roof-of-mouth bite. They are a love em or hate em kind of thing. Personally, I hate em.

-Andrew

adauria":gi6tk9ka said:
Instead you get roof-of-mouth bite. They are a love em or hate em kind of thing. Personally, I hate em.

-Andrew
Ditto!
It is personal taste really. They work well on the pete's that I do have. I do not have any real preference here. Just got the 2010 POY in without the p lip, does not bother me, either way!!!!
Preventing tongue is a sales pitch, if the baccy has bite, it has bite either way!!!!!!

I think they are an abomination, the Petes I have all have fishtails.

Rodney

I have one. Since it is a memorial pipe, I won't be changing it. I do not smoke it as often as the others, but it's ok. I smoked it last night, and I simply do not find the P Lip as comfortable even though the pipe smokes well. Fortunately the material is reasonably soft to the teeth. If it was a hard acrylic, there would be no way I could smoke it.

Most of my Pete's have the P-lip. Personally, I really like it - I'm a clencher & find the P-lip sits well in my mouth.

dspiveyjr":r1r3q8to said:
Can you give your pros and cons on P-lips,
They suck and they're a bad idea.

Sorry, that's the best I could do for pros :lol:

Bought one long ago, smoked it a few times and its been gathering dust ever since.

Pros: adds variety to your collection; lets ya answer questions like this one
Cons (for me): palate bite; uncomfortable

Steve

I've always been afraid of them. I wouldn't buy a pipe with one. Having the smoke hit my hard palate instead of my tongue sounds like hurt.

Muddler":69t2hbac said:
Most of my Pete's have the P-lip. Personally, I really like it - I'm a clencher & find the P-lip sits well in my mouth.
Ditto :D

Sure. I raised a nice blister on my palatte once with my first p-lip (Black Mallory was high octane back when Charles Rattray was still blending it himself, and two bowls, back-to-back, was probably overkill).

But, IMHO, it's like somebody taking up accoustic guitar, finding that his fingers are getting sore, and deciding to quit.

There IS a certain amount of adaption that goes into learning to use anything.

I like them well enough.

:face:

Its a gimmick for sure...
But not a bad one... The lil penis head (the wifes words) fits comfortable..only pipes I can clinch..

Now with that visual: whose got some pipes that just suddenly came up for sale...lol

I haven't tried one. I have avoided em based
on my impressions and other's reviews.
My four Petes are fishtails.

I have one Pete with a p-lip and it just sits in its little corner. I genuinely dislike it.

I've smoked Petersons for years and they all have P-lip stems, I find that they function well and clench like a breeze. As far as pallet bite, just slow down and enjoy the tobacco,
I've never had anything even closely related to pallet bite and I smoke one of my Pete's all day every day at work. I think every pipeman should try a Pete P-lip for him/her self, after all experimentation is half the fun.

Stem designs are like tobacco---what matters is if YOU like it, not what other people think.

puros_bran":jyl7wr6x said:
Its a gimmick for sure...
But not a bad one... The lil penis head (the wifes words) fits comfortable..only pipes I can clinch..

Now with that visual: whose got some pipes that just suddenly came up for sale...lol
:lol!: PB, is that the wife's passive aggressive way of trying to discourage you from smoking?

My daily smoker is a p-lip. Never had a problem with it. I used to smoke a lot of aromatics in it though. Maybe that helped me get used to it before moving onto the VA's I'm smoking these days.

Muddler":z81864gh said:
I have to agree with Mudd on this one