Or Olam review

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fr_Tom

Chaplain
Reaction score
One of the brothers - JKenP - suggested I might like this, and offered to send me a sample. When the package came, it was most of a pound - not much had been smoked by my estimates. Having said this, Or Olam is probably not something everyone is going to like. You have to enjoy orientals for one thing, and you can't buy it hoping it will be a VaPer with an edge. It is a mild-medium VaOriental really.

I found the bag aroma to be heavy and sweet with a slight chocolate smell. Smoked, it is a great tobacco flavor for me with some sweet virginia in there. The orientals are the theme with a slightly sour/bitter taste sometimes. I am not getting so much perique, but I can believe it is there, and I think this is some of the spiciness that complements the orientals and brings them out. This is a great blend.

I now have some Oriental Dusk to compare, and I find the OD to have a fuller flavor. I think it is the cigar leaf that gives OD the body. I suspect the cigar leaf provides a little pepper that the Or Olam gets from perique. These blends are members of the same family, and I claim if you like one, you will find the other a tasty variation on the flavor profile.

It found myself reaching for the Or Olam a lot, and I went through about 1/3 of the pound pretty quickly. The rest is jarred. Once I smoke through the open OD, it will be interesting to see if I open a jar of it or the Or Olam.

Thanks for your thoughts on this one. Or Orlam as well as the Hulav U'Dvash are on my C&D to-do list.

I enjoyed reading your review.
I picked up some shaare Orah from the same series. At that time I was fairly new to burleys and knew I was not appreciating the taste fully. I jarred it up to be revisited another time. What draws me to the series is their naming after books on jewish mystical thought. Shaare Orah being written by a mystic around the 16oo's.
Nothing like a bit of drama to be experienced with the pipe!

I got 4 oz of Or L'Yom with my last 4noggins order. Sha'are Orah is no longer listed, and either it did not sell well or they are out of one of the components. The Sha'are Orah has cubed burley in it and you should try it again. I bet it is good. These are unusual tobaccos just because they have a rabbi listed as the blender. The names caught my eye, and I like the theme with the mystical thought. The world is just waiting for "Dark Night" or "Seven Story Mountain." The "Way of Perfection" has promise too...

And there was another blend under that series that I can't remember right now that our own BH gifted me with a while back that just ran the bases.

Looks like it isn't even listed any more to the great pity of my way of thinking.

It was fine beyond measure!

:| 

Cheers,

RR

woodLeavesNfire":anzn7jl4 said:
Halav udvash
Or Olam
Or Leyom
Shaare Orah
Boker Or

One of these 5.
Had to be Sha'are Orah. That's the only one no longer listed on 4Nog.

Pity, that one was great. Did a quick net search and came up empty handed. Hope it gets re-released.

:| 

Cheers,

RR

I am glad I chanced upon this thread. I am eager to revisit Shaare Orah when the right time comes, namely when I come home early from work, nobody around which is not too often.

I haven't tried Or Olam yet but Boker Or and Sha'are Orah are both fairly regular favourites of mine. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Boker Or is the one I have tried. I like it a lot.

I'll have to try the others that area available.

Got to burn my first bowl of Or Olam today, courtesy of the Padre.

Liked it a lot. But didn't pay close enough attention to post tasting notes right now. (Lame, ya I know).

All I can say right now is that it smelled exactly like the good Padre described it, and the moisture content was perfect for packing and smoking.

Spent a very enjoyable 40 minutes with it in my 1/2 bent Sav "David's Choice" I picked up back in '97 at Old Morris Tobacconist in Victoria, BC. Kind of an elegant pipe for what seems to be an equally elegant blend.

Very mellow, all things in balance, no big nic kick, burned just fine all the way down. Just what I like for a kick-back-and-smoke-session after work.

Ya, so that's kind of a review. Not a great one since it lacks the flavor notes. I'll do better next time.............

..............I promise..............

<lame, lame, lame>

:D 

Cheers,

RR