Oral Fixation

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Kaplan

Reaction score
Hang on a sec.
Just let me pause a moment to give Rob time to type a smartass reply to my thread title.

All done, Rob? Okay, here's my story: Lately I've been volunteering my time to local youth league hockey. Assistant coaching, occasional reffing, that sort of thing. At least once per game I catch myself between periods trying to gently draw a contemplative puff of smoke.
From my whistle.  :x 
Here's my question to the brethren: What's the weirdest thing you've absent-mindedly stuck in your mouth, thinking it was your pipe?

George Kaplan":hr9u1ucz said:
Hang on a sec.
Just let me pause a moment to give Rob time to type a smartass reply to my thread title.

All done, Rob? Okay, here's my story: Lately I've been volunteering my time to local youth league hockey. Assistant coaching, occasional reffing, that sort of thing. At least once per game I catch myself between periods trying to gently draw a contemplative puff of smoke.
From my whistle.  :x 
Here's my question to the brethren: What's the weirdest thing you've absent-mindedly stuck in your mouth, thinking it was your pipe?
I'm sorry, I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole. :fpalm: 

I usually chew tobacco when I need a fix to calm the Oral Fix and cannot smoke my pipe. Sometimes when I am drawing or painting I stick a pencil or brush in my mouth and puff on it. I quit sucking my thumb, yes thumb, when I was 3.

Cartaphilus":bknme1di said:
I'm sorry, I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole. :fpalm: 
Are you saying you've stuck a ten foot pole in your mouth? You must smoke some pretty big pipes.

I have, on rare occasion, caught myself trying to draw from a pen hanging out of my mouth as I type at the computer.

I do the pen at the computer thing quite a bit. Its always a bit of a letdown when I realize that there will be no smoke.
Mike.

Sorry, George, I feel it better to not comment on your thread title.   :lol: 

On a more serious note?  Since I usually store several pipes in the same location, I've often sat down a lit pipe to do something, then picked up the wrong pipe and try to puff on it - then wondering why the dang pipe went out so quickly.   :shock: 

P.S. - I know I said that I wouldn't comment on the thread title, but most of you guys know me better than that. So to comment - I do wish my wife want want an 'Oral Fixation' a little more often.   :twisted: 

:lol!:

I guess my alternate question would be this: What have you absent-mindedly done with your pipe, thinking it was something else?
My original pipe mentor, a crusty old carpenter, was constantly trying to stick his in his hammer loop, usually dropping it on the floor. That was always fun when we were working on a roof. The pipe would go tumbling down the pitch, with him running after it, loudly swearing all the way. I wonder if Mister E has ever tried to blow a few warm-up notes through one of his Dunhills?  :p 

I have cleaned and soaked one of my pipes and then thrown it away in a fit of absentmindedness. Of course it was a good pipe and so I spent some time digging it out and starting the sterilization and sweetening process again. It smelled like old banana peels before this.