Orderd a a tin of SG Best Brown

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CipsterX

Reaction score
I was placing and order for my regulars and added SG Best Brown never smoked this flake before but do enjoy other S&G blends very much so. Any thoughts will I love it I think I will S&G has never let me down.

Just started smoking Best Brown a few months ago and I love it.  It's an all day smoke, with the nicotine in the mild to medium range.  At the same time you get full flavor out of it and there's a great underlying sweetness that is almost refreshing.

I've only had it fresh, but I'd imagine it'd age well.  At the same time, unlike Full Va Flake, Best Brown seems to be perfect fresh, which is a bonus for those too impatient to age their supply.  I'll be interested to hear your review, but if you've had other Samuel Gawith tobaccos and have liked them, l think you're really going to fall in love with BBF!

Enjoy,
Scott

Although both FVF and BBF are well stocked in my Top200 Cellar, BBF is much more consistent.  FVF, even when aged 5+ years, is picky with specific pipes, and I'm still trying to decode what it is about the chamber size and shape, briar, etc that makes the difference between a so-so smoke and one that's in the zone.

hp
les

The single greatest pipe tobacco ever made, in my estimation anyway.

I have had Sam's Flake and Commonwealth which I really enjoyed. Based on all the positive reviews I am sure I am in for a treat.

SG-BBF is an absolutely spectacular blend, oh yes, you are most certainly in for a very enjoyable and tasty treat, enjoy it in rude good health when it arrives, oh how I envy you, your first experience with BBF, what a wonderful experience it is.  :cheers: :sunny: 

BBF has always had a welcome place in my humble stable of blends. In fact I favor it over FVF in many respects.

It seems to come pretty wet, so I dry mine down a bit and rub it out thoroughly. Works a charm.

Cheers,

RR

BBF is really fantastic. I probably prefer FVF, but only by a VERY small margin. Sam's Flake is really my favorite of the SG blends, though. I also recently tried commonwealth for the first time and enjoy it.
You know, looking at that...I usually say McClelland is my second favorite brand after GLP, but maybe I'm not giving SG enough credit, considering how much I like those blends.

Anyway, enjoy the BBF - I'm sure you'll be pleased!

I smoke both BBF and FVF and find them to be excellent. To me, I would have to say they have their own distinctive characteristics. BBF is richer and smoother while I find FVF to be deeper and darker in flavor. As far as prep goes, FVF, when dried to my liking, becomes hard strips that I cube cut or crumble up. BBF is more pliable and soft.  If I had to choose between the two, it would be BBF because of it's smoothness.  :)

Well I smoked two bowls and it was fantastic very rich and delicious. Will be ordering more.

I love BBF and have a bunch cellared. This is the only flake I usually rub out. I also smoke it in one of my "flake pipes" with absolutely no ghosts, since IMO it is more delicate and subtle than other flakes. One thing to keep in mind is that its high moisture content out of the tin will require dry time. If you don't prep it correctly, it will be frustrating to keep it lit. Other than that, it is a smoking delight!

BBF is one of my top tobacco choices. It's creamy rich flavor is perfect for cubing. I've bought many tins but cellared them all. I split my 250g boxes into two jars, one to smoke in a year the other to keep getting better. My favorite first bowl smoke.

Craig

Creamy is definitely how I remember it.  I prefer FVF but its good stuff and worth getting to know.  SG knows how to get the most out of VA.

Sam's BBF is damn good stuff.

It's quite moist (a trait of many Samuel Gawith virginia blends) -- I agree with others here who advise proper preparation for best results.

Sam's Medium Flake -- sold in 50g tins as "Golden Glow" -- is also quite good.

I cellar both.

I'm not a fan of FVF -- I'm not crazy about the flavor -- besides, it's too damn temperamental and not worth the effort IMO.