Ordering my 2015 BoB POY

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Some fair level of shameless project promotion is intended via this thread...

The story...

Oh yeah. This year's BoB POY is one I'm up for 100%. I love the Bulldog shape in general and aside from several Peterson B5 pipes (Rosslare, Harp & Kinsale) in my hoard at home it really is underrepresented. Yup! I needed one. So after the decision was made, seeing the resulting samples clinched it. I HAD to have one. Severe PAD had taken over completely. It was like a bug flying close to a spider's web...a space explorer traveling close to a black hole...one goes closer, then closer, then WHAMM-O you're caught!

But how to make it a reality? Looking at my budget account showed about half the necessary fundage on hand so negotiations began with SWMBO. Ultimately talks resulted in an amicable arrangement of a combination of existing and matching household funds, with a planned reduction (payback) taking place during the 6 months following...meaning, after a transfer of funds from bank to PayPal I had the cash on hand. HooAhhhhh!

So...emails began to Mark via his site link. The result...a Blast has been ordered for this doghouse. During the several emails back and forth with Mark he related that the one currently shown was from a very hard Briar block, which resulted in a lighter blast...but that he had a somewhat softer block with very good grain he had done to use as a backup to making another smooth finish...and IT would look fine using his Bengal finish...OR...that it would result in a much deeper blast. Ooh! deeper blast you say? Hmmmm. A 'smooth finish' level block...but with rugged, craggy, woody, grainy gorgousness?  OK - that did it.

The final plan: as this POY was conceived as an homage to the classic Dunhill #48 Straight Saddle Bulldog (woof) I opted to go classic/basic in look...dark stained and deeply blasted (by Master Blaster Rad Davis) with the black stem. In a separate conversation with Brewdude he confided that this combo was HIS Tinsky finish of choice as well. Great minds! So done! Payment was forwarded to Mark on Saturday and he will send my strummel off to Rad Davis today.

So now...the wait.

Note: At one point during the conversation with Mark he mentioned that he could use the currently shown blasted strummel (what I would call his Tanblast) and fit a new tortoise stem to it. I think THAT would result in a very, very fine looking pipe (and with extra hard Briar no less). Well, maybe if I order a second one...lol.

Sounds like a winner Dave. I agree that the blast pictured on his site would be fantastic with a tortoise shell stem. In fact I'm going to ask him about that right now! Thanks for the intel.

8) 

Cheers,

RR

Good luck. I really do think the color combo will be ideal. And whereas in my case that strummel being so hard disallowed a deep blast, in and of itself it's an asset I would think. He usually asks a bit more for his Tanblasts as I recall, so info on that would be of interest as well, not that your dealings are any of my business. You might mention that we're talking up this project over here so he knows we're really behind it...never hurts for him to understand that his pieces are truly valued. Allons!

An EXAMPLE of one of Mark's...what I would term A DEEP, DARK BLAST...this is along the line of what I'm hoping for.

I think this is one of his Christmas pipes from a few years ago.

blast2011xmas.png

Blackhorse":mqgc7bwi said:
An EXAMPLE of one of Mark's...what I would term A DEEP, DARK BLAST...this is along the line of what I'm hoping for.

blast2011xmas.png

That's the '11. Have that in a dark blast. Great pipe.

Cheers,

RR

TAMPER THING HERE

Would you like a matching tamper for your 2015 BoB POY?

Go to the link below and scroll down to the photo of the 4 tampers.

http://www.amsmoke.com/XMAS%20PIPES/13_XMAS_PIPE.html

When I ordered my 2015 BoB POY I mentioned the tampers I had noticed to Mark. I asked if he still did them. He responded that he could indeed do matching tampers...$25 for those ordering a pipe, or someone who has ordered a pipe (I assume that means like in the past)...$50 for new customers that are not ordering a pipe, etc. -  AND instead of stamping it with the Christmas thing he could use the BoB stamp and the year on it...voila...a BoB PIPE AND TAMPER SET...retro to past orders!!!

While $50 as a stand alone might be a little high if it were me...the $25 as an add on to a pipe costing about $200 is a no brainer.

SOLD!!!

Blackhorse":o6csaw2g said:

blast2011xmas.png
Oh Mama! 8)

I know! Right? Damn thing gives me chills!

I'm really fighting my urge to ask Mark to put that subtle bend (like between 1/8 and 1/16) in the stem. As has been stated clearly...the shape is the shape...and I think the straight stem has great dignity and appeal...but I just LOVE a little subtle bend.

Probably tow the party line and leave it straight.

Personal interpretation of finishes:

Smooth: the natural surface of the wood in all its glory...related to superior grain...shows and enhances grain...from naked to multiple stains.

Sandblasted: a "machine process" wherein an artfully controlled stream of abrasiveness eats away at softer portions of the surface leaving harder portions higher, thusly exposing the natural grain hidden within the block. Leaves a very organic surface.

Rusticated: a showcase for torturing wood into a beautiful surface design through cutting, gouging, hacking, carving, and the like...gorgousness via physical abuse. Leaves a totally artificial surface.

I love 'em all.

Blackhorse":fdk8nnjo said:
I know! Right? Damn thing gives me chills!

I'm really fighting my urge to ask Mark to put that subtle bend (like between 1/8 and 1/16) in the stem. As has been stated clearly...the shape is the shape...and I think the straight stem has great dignity and appeal...but I just LOVE a little subtle bend.

Probably tow the party line and leave it straight.

Actually I've been thinking right along the same line. Great minds, right?

Cheers,

RR

Some interesting twists on mine...asked Mark if he took photos of all that he sends out. If not, it'll take me some time to get some and post 'em up here. Expecting nothing less than epic though.