Oregon City Irishman's Five O'clock

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loneredtree

Reaction score
I am going to be in OC next week and would like to get some Irishman's 5 o'clock. Has anyone tried it?

Thanks for the tip BH. It sounds like things have not changed. Last time I was there he opened later than posted. :suspect:

Like, two days late? :p

You might try some "Seven of Nine" or "First Smoke". And I think Rich's downtown on Alder Street still mixes the blends he did when he worked there. So they would have stuff like Old Perth, Real Irish and Craven this-n-that.

Wonderful tobacco, he's hard to get a hold of at times. But his tobacco is wonderful.

I totally agree. His blends (he claims over 1,000) are unique in all of pipedom. You know, like every major designer gets this 'family' of blends that have a similar sort of feel...like John Patton, like Esoterica, like Greg Pease...etc. Well, Steve is no different. His blends all have something like that. Maybe it's how much they cost! Easily the most expensive blends out there...but you get what you pay for. NO ONE else offers aged and vintage tobaccos like his!

Wow, I am jealous that you have a chance to go to Mr. Book's shop. I had a little bit (about 2 ounces or so), of his 5 o'clock a few years back when he still had a web front, & I enjoyed it tremendously. I rarely smoke latakia anymore but it was hands down one of the finest, smoothest and most flavorful latakia mixture that I have ever smoked. I also quite enjoyed his Grandfather's Own, Young Master, and a blend he makes called Wild Rose. I hope to be able to visit his business one day.

As far as I know, the House of Calabash website is still up and running:
https://squareup.com/market/house-of-calabash-2
They don't have the best customer service for their online customers, but your order will eventually get done. Last year I ordered a pound of Irishman's Five O'Clock. It took forever to get to me, but it is worth the wait. It is very, very good.

Edit: The website says that Irishman's Five O'Clock is out until February. Step right up for $122 preorder on a pound. Maybe I'll make my last four ounces last until then.