Oriental forward? (and virginia tips?)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bergencabin

Reaction score
Hi all, been realizing, only after a month into this, that I am definitely particular towards oriental tobaccos. I would love some suggestions that don't favor Virginias, but favor that more exotic, rich, spicy flavor that you get from the oriental tobaccos.
Also, just a cheeky extra question, anyone have tips for enjoying virginias like Orlik Golden Sliced? I do like Capstan blue, but I got a big tin of Orliks that just tastes like cigarettes to me! I must be doing something wrong, because everyone I have spoken to loves it!!!

You can buy straight orientals from Cornell & Diehl or Sutliff through online stores some might only be available in bulk. Pipesandcigars.com has some bulk orientals if you can find their bulk blending section. Remember that orientals are technically Virginia and get their nuances from the soil and climate they're grown in. You can also get straight Latakia and make an Oriental/Latakia blend which Peretti's sells as Tashkent.

You can buy straight orientals from Cornell & Diehl or Sutliff through online stores some might only be available in bulk. Pipesandcigars.com has some bulk orientals if you can find their bulk blending section. Remember that orientals are technically Virginia and get their nuances from the soil and climate they're grown in. You can also get straight Latakia and make an Oriental/Latakia blend which Peretti's sells as Tashkent.
Ah ha, thank you. I might try to bulk blend some stuff. That would be fun. I do like Latakia, but I am more partial to orientals. Thanks for the tip about Virginias. I had no idea they were the same! I always thought orientals, like Turkish tobacco, were a different plant with smaller leaves.

Your tastes and mine are similar in this.

1. You should try C&D Oriental Silk.

2. Then to blow your mind go for John Patton blends over at 4 Noggins…try Dark Horse…a blend named in my honor after I concocted it as a special order. After 10 years it’s still going strong.

3. Maybe Cap’t Earles Honor Blend?

Your tastes and mine are similar in this.

1. You should try C&D Oriental Silk.

2. Then to blow your mind go for John Patton blends over at 4 Noggins…try Dark Horse…a blend named in my honor after I concocted it as a special order. After 10 years it’s still going strong.

3. Maybe Cap’t Earles Honor Blend?
Goodness, what a cool thing to be able to try a blend that someone here (you) made! I've put all of those on my list, thank you!

I don't know how Oriental forward this is considered, but to me it is good and I specifically bought it for the Oriental: G.L Pease Temple Bar. I like all the the John Patton blends Blackhorse mentions too. They are special and 4noggins.com is good to deal with to boot.

I don't know how Oriental forward this is considered, but to me it is good and I specifically bought it for the Oriental: G.L Pease Temple Bar. I like all the the John Patton blends Blackhorse mentions too. They are special and 4noggins.com is good to deal with to boot.
That sounds right up my alley, after reading the description. Thanks for that. I really like Rajahs Court, so I reckon this will work really well. Appreciate it.

That sounds right up my alley, after reading the description. Thanks for that. I really like Rajahs Court, so I reckon this will work really well. Appreciate it.
Not to try to sway you, but every GLP blend I have smoked has been very good. Only 2 more:Triple Play and Jackknife Plug. I'll get others eventually.

Peretti's Royal! Do it!
If you want to go further, Tashkent.
As to the problem of cigarette-y Virginias, smoke them slow, so slow they barely stay lit. I have to use big bowls to achieve this, given my habits.

Peretti's Royal! Do it!
If you want to go further, Tashkent.
As to the problem of cigarette-y Virginias, smoke them slow, so slow they barely stay lit. I have to use big bowls to achieve this, given my habits.
Thanks for this tip. Just added these two blends to my list.

If you can still find any Dunhill EMP, it's definitely an oriental forward Virginia blend and one of my faves. GLP Embarcadero is also one to try.
I love EMP, but I have Peterson version. It was my impression that they were the same? Thanks for the tip on Embarcadero!

One of my all time favorites, a blend I have been smoking a ton of lately, is GL Pease's Cairo. It is an oriental forward blend with no Lataka and a subtle brandy/rum topping in the same vein as Haddo's Delight. Pick up a tin. Sounds like what you are looking for.