Orlik Golden Sliced - Orlik Golden delicious!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_68

Reaction score
So, late in September I posted a poll asking for some opinions on "next tobys" to buy and I got a good number of answers...one being Orlik Golden Sliced which I went ahead and ordered...

Flash forward to yesterday when I cracked the tin open to smell it....it smelled grassy and semi-sweet which was just fine with me. The well formed planks were all very much intact so I carefully slid them into my newly avaiable jar to get them ready to join my rotation.

Well. in my haste I grabbed entirely TOO MUCH and only let it sit for about 15 miinutes before trying to jam it into my La Rocca Dublin. Let's just say that the process of trying to smoke that stuff was painful, it was too tight-couldn't keep it lit-and when it DID burn, it must've been wet as heck because it gooped to high heaven. I tried for 20 minutes, got frustrated and wasted the bowl but packed some of my Magnum Opus and enjoyed a good smoke....now then...

Today - I removed HALF as much OGS as I did yesterday and let it sit on the counter for 2.5-3 hours. I used the fold and pack method in my MM Bent-Egg and lit up...

OH MY WORD! I think I hit pipe-smoking nirvana for about an hour..it smoked and stayed lit well, tasted sweet and citrussy(?) and with NO BITE at all...dry as a bone too!

Reserving final judgment for a few more bowls but I THINK this may end up being my favorite tobacco ever! My DEEPEST thanks to everyone suggesting OGS...this stuff is amazing.. :pirat:

I've always been wanting to try this and Golden Glow. Frenchy spoke highly of it on his site (when he was sellin pipes and baccy).

Nice tips and review... Golden Sliced is on my list--one day, one day. 8)

I've only had a few but I would agree whole-heartedly to this point...and I was looking recently and the price in someplaces is outstanding! I think I saw $7 for a 50g tin the other day? Unreal..

Buy a bunch of this and age it. I got lucky a few years ago and accidentally nabbed 4 tins from 1985. I gave one away before I knew what I had and smoked the other two. Now I've got one left unopened.

With some age, this blend is, quite frankly, the best smoke I've ever had. Consistently. It's gonna be really tough to pop that last tin, 'cause there's no telling if I'll ever find another tin of OGS with almost 30 years of age on it.

That said, if anyone has one or twenty well aged OGS tins, please PM if you'll let them go!

It gets tastier the longer you dry it out. I have a mason jar full of this one and cellared a dozen tins of it years ago. You can't go wrong with this solid winner, imo, if you like bright virginias.

Sounds like we've got some Shrewd Judges in here! 8)

Go for some Reiner's Long Golden Flake next. Very similar but even better IMHO.

Orlik is so delicious. Definitely a top-5 tobacco for me.

Your experience is typical though...it always seems to be a bit wet and takes a good bit of drying out before its really smokeable. Also, listen to the guys who told you to age it. I've only started purposefully cellaring tobacco within the last few months, but happen to have some tins that are about 3 years old (bought a bunch at once...I figured it had to be on sale. Little did I know that its usually available pretty cheaply). Opened one of them around Thanksgiving, and it was incredible. Orlik is great...aged Orlik is amazing.

Definitely a favorite flake, along with MacBaren Navy Flake, and both are readily available, thankfully.

Well by golly, I better get around to opening the tin of OGS that I got recently and see what all the fuss is about.

Thanks for the prompts guys!

Cheers,

RR

I like it for a change of pace. Smokes better jarred for a few months. I mostly rub mine out, it seems to light better that way. You sure can't beat the price.

OGS was a bit of an eye opener for me. It was my first virginia and my first flake. With that said, I made about every mistake that I could have. I grabbed way too much and folded it up then tried to cram it into the bowl straight out of the tin with no dry time. As Mike_68 said, it was too tight and I couldn't keep it lit and in return I got a bit tongue and a gooped up bowl.

After that first experience I did a little research on the blend and on flakes. On the second go-round I tried the "rub out" method and let it sit for about an hour. It was a completely different experience. I would have never guessed that hay and citrus could appeal to me the way it did. At this point OGS is not an everyday smoke for me but I can see it heading that direction. As I mentioned it being an eye opener for me, well as a newbie to the pipe I'm starting to really enjoy the whole "natural sweetness" of a virginia that I've read so much about here on BOB.

Thanks for that BOB!

I usually rub out the slice and let it sit..usually at least an hour or so..good stuff.