Orlik's Golden Sliced - some impressions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
As I've related here recently I received a tin (50g) of this blend/mixture last Friday and have already consumed 8 bowls of it ! These are my IMPRESSIONS, not neccessarily facts about this blend/mixture and should be read as such. As always, impressions are very subjective and I'm not as much of an expert as some here :p
Upon opening the tin, one is greeted by white four-folded flaps of paper sealed with a sticker of Orliks "judge" portrait, somewhat similar to the araingment found in the Erinmore Flake tins. ( stands to reason as both blends/mixtures are produced by the same folks - Scandanavian Tobacco Group Assens A/S, which is the parent firm owning both brands.) Unfolding the flaps the soft sweet haylike aroma accented with a light sharp citrussy note greets ones nostrils. VERY inviting aroma for me. ( but no ketchup, oh well can't have it all) :p No artificial flavoring aroma that I could discern, though as with ALL tobacco I'm sure this one has some sort of casing used in it's process from feild to tin. with the flaps folded back one is greeted with a two nice stacks of light golden brown pressed flakes approximatly 2 7/8" x 1 1/2" x 1/8" in dimensions and they have a nice dry/moist feel to them and will lend themselves to a "fold n stuff" method of packing well for those who choose this way to smoke 'em. I prefer to rub out my flakes and these rub-out PERFECTLY breaking down into long ribbon like strands of Va 'bac which three pinch load well for me. I have loaded and lit both straight from the tin and dried out for about 15 minutes in my "flake saucer" under my desk lamp and found I prefer this method better.
Lighting wise, it "puffs" way up on the char light and requires some care when tamping down and relighting to get it started. I use wooden kitchen matches BTW.
The first flavor that hits your tongue is one of a nice dry, hay-like sweetness, very typical of a primarily golden/bright virginia tobacco. As your smoke progresses, a nice tangy sharpness comes in and I;m sure this must be the Perique that is stated as being in this blend/mixture. It's NOT the usual sharp, pepery flavor as you get in many of GLP's Vaper belnds, rather a tangy/citrussy sharpness that balances well with the bright sharp Va sweetness prevelant overall. It maintains this quality throughout the whole bowl as well as providing a nice dry feel to the smoke. I NEVER got ANY wet gurggle with this as some sweet Va's can give if pushed and definately did NOT get ANY bite from this as well no matter how hard I "puffed" on it. :p
Iv'e smoked it around two non-smoking friends who did not remark at all about it so I would tentativly say it has a good "room note" ( to me ALL blends smell WONDERFULL :p ) and since I have a snoking style I would cal "smoking interuptess" it seems to DTG rather well and re-lights easily, picking up where it left off flavor/aroma wise when I put the pipe down :p
It "snorks" well giving that sharp tangy feel thru the nose which is pleasant for me.
All in all, I REALLY LIKE this VaPer and I'm not a big fan of Perique :p I like it so much I have ordered more as I can see this being a Va that I would smoke daily along with my Red Va FM 2000 and Royal Yacht. Another great Va to add to anyones list of "gotta have's" ;bac wise IMHO.
I'm smoking my second bowl of it today as I type this in fact and the more I smoke 'em, Va's are starting to take the place of my beloved English/Balkan smokes :twisted:
The other REALLY NICE thing about this is the PRICE! 50g tins for UNDER $7.00 !! A fantastic tinned 'bac at an affordable price ! What more could one ask for :p

It ain't a bad smoke. I find it almost identical to Reiner's LGF. I think OGS is perhaps a little more Va. dominant, though. We're down to one 100g tin here so I'm hesitant to crack it until more is on the way.

Orlik Golden Sliced is one of my mainstay tobacs in regular rotation, and as you stated it has a great price point. It is a Virginia based blend that is excellent to recommend to someone new to Virginias, IMO. :cheers:

Thanks for your review/input about this tobacco. You will find that with some years of age on this flake it will turn a very dark brown color and get incredibly mellow compared to opening a fresh tin. It's nice to have a Virginia Flake with just a touch of Perique which doesn't come through as dominating as many other blends. You can't go wrong cellaring a stash of this fine flake.

it's good stuff for the price. I'd rather pay a little more for something similar that I think is a little better, Dunhill Flake, Dan HV, F&T Cut Blended Plug and John Aylesbury Luxury Flake. If you found OGS as good as those, it is a great buy and definitely cellar worthy.

Golden Sliced is an absolutely wonderful smoke, especially when you've found the 'right' pipe for it. Love the stuff.

Everything Monbla said is wrong.

Kidding. :p Good write-up.

I haven't had OGS for a while, but it was a winner. I wonder what I'd get out of it now. Hmmm. Tempting.

8)

I enjoy OGS for a hot weather, summer time change of pace from my usual Lat-heavy blends. I find it does taste a lot better with some age and try to keep a year or so ahead of my usage.

Just had my very first experiences with OGS in the past little while. Tin date was '11.

Have to say that I like it for the 1st pipe of the day in the morning. It's a lot lighter in all respects and deserves a fresh palate.

Got the citrusy flavor, slight sweetness. Burned very nice too.

Enjoyed it, but it gets lost later in the day after another bowl of something else.

Subtle stuff.

Cheers,

RR

Yummy & cheap...a great combo in my book!

Definitely a great bright VA choice. If I was stuck with it on a deserted island, I wouldn't be very upset.

I'm aging more than I'm smoking, as it'll should be a delight later on. I figure it'll put it on par with the other fine flakes previously mentioned that are all more expensive. I have plenty of leaf to smoke, so I'll bank it have puff away all the wiser at some point down the road.

Unless I croak, that is... :affraid:

OGS was the first Va that I smoked and I still enjoy it. I always have a couple tins on hand.

flytyer":zvtqs5sn said:
OGS was the first Va that I smoked and I still enjoy it. I always have a couple tins on hand.
Same. This is a GREAT bright VA as Monbla said. A perfect introduction to the world of Virginias for both the novice and the experienced smoker.

Scott