otc tognue bite/burn

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnylaw13

Reaction score
i havent been at this long so ive already had my fair share of tongue burn and bite, more burn. i picked up a pound of 1Q and have been smoking that for a couple of weeks and my tongue was all better. i had gotten some lane coupons in the mail so i picked up come captain black-light, gold, and royal and some borkum riff cavandish black (delish!) and suddenly im back to wicked bite and tongue burn, i do smoke decently fast since i work in a gas station and my smoking time is limited and that im still very used to smoking cigarettes. but why just OTC's or is it just cptn. black in general? i dip pack and use various pipes. any insight to my issue will be greatly appreciated!

Let the tobacco dry out some. Sounds like too much moisture in the tobacco.

You may be intolerant of Burley, I am, and it'll bite and burn my tongue something fierce.
Although it could be you need to slow down a bit a sip and not draw so hard. Packing may have something to do with it too.
I smoked cigarettes for over 45 years, Camel non-filters and have just recently quit them.
I haven't notice any change in flavor except losing my taste due to other maladies.  
Take your time and try to sip on the pipe as if it was a straw. Take a draw or two then rest a few minutes, then take another, don't try and smoke it down in 15 minutes. Pipe smoking takes time, time to enjoy the flavor slowly. If you haven't at least a 1/2 hour don't even lite a pipe up. Nothing down quickly will be entirely enjoyed. If your pipe goes out, Oh well, lite it again. Mine goes out all the time cause I tend to day dream while enjoying my pipe.
Pipe smoking isn't something that you'll learn quickly, it takes time and try after try to get your packing right and your sipping cadence down.

"Sounds like too much moisture in the tobacco." Could also be that.

cart, I think you could be right about the Burley, moister is def not the issue. I wouldn't say id smoke a whole bowl in 15mins, maybe like 5 consecutive puffs in a row then some minutes of not smoking then a relight. I do tend to burn a bit on hot side no matter the tobacco, less so though since I switched from a 3 part pack to the dipping. I would personally like to blame the burley since I have had absolutely no issue with the 1Q, well except for the fact I bought a pound w/ out having tried it, not my greatest choice!

Tongue bite has many causes: steam from wet tobacco, heat from too many relights (especially close to the bottom of the bowl) and chemical burns caused by an acid or alkali PH of different blends.
The latter cause is dependent on an individual's body chemistry.  Cart is sensitive to burleys (more alkali).  Burley doesn't bother me but red Virginias do.  Some aromatics can be problematic due to burning sugars.
Individuals will differ as to what tobaccos are problematic to them.  Frankly I envy JimInks as he can smoke all day, day after day with no problems. :eek: 
As Cart stated, smoking slowly with good technique is very important as is proper tobacco prep.
This link is very informative:
Tongue Bite

And FIVE puffs at a time sounds a bit much sir. That'll get the fires burning. You get the pipe too hot and you'll not only ruin the pipe after time but it'll burn your tongue and your hand.

I have a little old mastercraft with a very thin bowl that I have burned my hand on, one a few sips and you could roast marshmallow! I try to avoid using that pipe because of that issue, and slow smoking doesn't help with that one.. Does my packing suck? I dont have a problem with relights unless I mean to snuff it out cause I cant have it smoking away in the store.

jonnylaw13":1wh7pttp said:
I have a little old mastercraft with a very thin bowl that I have burned my hand on, one a few sips and you could roast marshmallow! I try to avoid using that pipe because of that issue, and slow smoking doesn't help with that one.. Does my packing suck? I dont have a problem with relights unless I mean to snuff it out cause I cant have it smoking away in the store.
Depending on the tobacco I've found that if you pack too loosely it'll burn quickly and hotter.
Too tightly and the draw is reduced, hard to keep lit and you'll puff more trying to keep it lit and that leads to hotter smoking. Gotta reach the in between.

Cartaphilus":j3bj2zog said:
You may be intolerant of Burley, I am, and it'll bite and burn my tongue something fierce.
Although it could be you need to slow down a bit a sip and not draw so hard. Packing may have something to do with it too.
I smoked cigarettes for over 45 years, Camel non-filters and have just recently quit them.
I haven't notice any change in flavor except losing my taste due to other maladies.  
Take your time and try to sip on the pipe as if it was a straw. Take a draw or two then rest a few minutes, then take another, don't try and smoke it down in 15 minutes. Pipe smoking takes time, time to enjoy the flavor slowly. If you haven't at least a 1/2 hour don't even lite a pipe up. Nothing down quickly will be entirely enjoyed. If your pipe goes out, Oh well, lite it again. Mine goes out all the time cause I tend to day dream while enjoying my pipe.
Pipe smoking isn't something that you'll learn quickly, it takes time and try after try to get your packing right and your sipping cadence down.

"Sounds like too much moisture in the tobacco." Could also be that.
THIS 100% especially the time allowed to smoke!!  :twisted: 

Been smoking a bowl of captain black royal for the last hour or so on and off but I packed it a bit more than I've been doing and it seemed to smoke cooler, leave it too a newb to make a newb mistake lol!

jonnylaw13":wxei39tq said:
Been smoking a bowl of captain black royal for the last hour or so on and off but I packed it a bit more than I've been doing and it seemed to smoke cooler, leave it too a newb to make a newb mistake lol!
Hey, It takes practice and I for one still haphazardly pack sometimes.
Anyone can smoke a dadburn cigarette, it's an art to learn to smoke a pipe properly, that's why so many give it up after a few weeks.  ;) 

Packed another bowl with a mix I have sort of made, that the borkum and light/gold cptns are mixed into and the bite is back, no burn just bite. So I'm a guess the burn was from too light a pack and the bite is the burly

I find that CB white and gold both bite pretty hard for me. Both however have va in them. Which might be part of your problem. The Royal wasn't bad as I recall but it's been a couple of years. SWR and PA are what I usually go with as the amount of va present is very low or none. I do smoke straight va's and va/pers but much prefer my burleys as they don't bite so bad.

Jim

When I smoked them on there own I thought the light and gold were bland and tasteless, I didnt like white or SWR. I think I've only smoked 1 straight cav and everything else has had a ranging amount of va in it without much problem. I suppose it could be the borkum in my mix giving me the issue since I didnt get along with there bourbon blend either.

Those English flakes (Virginia not Balkan) that have been pressed to the density of a neutron star are, somewhat counterintuitively perhaps, remarkably gentle. The worst offenders for tongue bite seem to be aromatics, which is where a large percentage of beginners start.

As others have already said, smoking cadence and packing technique are also important things.

For quick smokes, the small bowl of a falcon is ideal. It also prevents a lot of the nasty steam and liquid getting as far as your mouth. They are also cheap and durable and you don't need to rest them.

A falcon pipe purchase with a sample of English flakes perhaps? If you like nice aromas, perhaps some Lakeland flakes as well.

Your description sounds like bursts of "hot boxing" the pipe like a cigarette. I agree with the advice of not lighting until you have 30 minutes to spare.(My rule is an hour)

For the most flavor aim for "smoldering".

J Soshae":mjh9j43m said:
Your description sounds like bursts of "hot boxing" the pipe like a cigarette. I agree with the advice of not lighting until you have 30 minutes to spare.(My rule is an hour)

For the most flavor aim for "smoldering".
Ditto to this. I find the OTCs to be incredibly mild and soft on the tongue, perhaps due to the easy-to-load cut. I actually use them to "rest" my palate. (I'm talkin' here of PA, KC Mixture, CH, etc., not Borkum Riff or the CB vanilla bombs). Looks like you've some experimenting to do. Also, may I suggest a corn cob?

JCB":hfav8098 said:
Those English flakes (Virginia not Balkan) that have been pressed to the density of a neutron star are, somewhat counterintuitively perhaps, remarkably gentle. The worst offenders for tongue bite seem to be aromatics, which is where a large percentage of beginners start.

As others have already said, smoking cadence and packing technique are also important things.

For quick smokes, the small bowl of a falcon is ideal. It also prevents a lot of the nasty steam and liquid getting as far as your mouth. They are also cheap and durable and you don't need to rest them.

A falcon pipe purchase with a sample of English flakes perhaps? If you like nice aromas, perhaps some Lakeland flakes as well.
i have a grabow lark i normally carry with me because of its tiny bowl, i try to not smoke the same pipe twice in a row though.

i have 2 cobs, cant stand them! could be because theyre cheep ones and not MMs, i keep eyeing up th MM mini cob but still have yet to get one. i am still working on experimenting, since the bookworld i went to only pretty much had what i had picked up thats what i thried, they didnt have any half&half or prince albert or velvet or anything like that, i do have a pouch of Carter Hall on the way with some supplies from P&C to try and there is a fellow brother sending me some english samples which i am much looking forward to!

I agree with the cob idea. A MM cob with a filter works great when you are first getting started. The filter catches most of the steam until you learn how to slow things down.

All of the above is great advice. I also see you're making every possible effort. I would like to add though, the importance of resting your mouth after bite or burn. If you take a day or two off smoking, your mouth can heal and you'll be ready for another try.