Other Pipe Forums

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milan

Reaction score
I was looking at some other pipe forums and decided that I'm a one pipe forum man. Do you post on multiple forums? How many do you post on? How many are there? Is BoB the best? Just got curious about this subject tonight. I sometimes will go weeks without using the computer and at other times I'm on it all day everyday, but I can't bring myself to join another pipe forum. I guess I just get what I need here? Any thoughts?
Milan

I think each pipe forum has its own style. Everyone has to find a comfortable fit. I surf a few boards picking up tidbits of information, and subject matter is pretty much the same on all of them, but I enjoy the relaxed atmosphere here. People come and go, but the ones that stay at BoB have found their fit.

For me, joining a forum is like joining a club: one per hobby. I might browse multiple forums in the way I might visit other clubs or read their newsletters, but when it comes to actively posting, I stick to a single locale.

It's just a question of time and effort. A good forum, like BoB, doesn't exclusively concern itself with a narrow treatment of the topic. There are, as everyone can see, sub-forums for clothing, food, sports, technology, and so on, all appropriately categorized as Related Pursuits; and of course all manner of sub-forums for pipe-related topics. If there was another equally good forum out there that I wanted to participate in, that would involve a lot of duplicate effort on my part, or else a bunch of unsatisfying copy-and-paste maneuvers.

Now if I had something to say, like maybe I carved my own pipes or blended my own tobacco, and I was really into it, I think I would probably participate on multiple forums within the scope of that passion. It's the difference between expert behavior and casual behavior. For this hobby, I'm definitely on the casual side.

I'm not sure about other pipe forums. I visit sites that aren't forums, but have forum-like setups: places like Tobacco Reviews or Pipedia. I get a lot of mileage out of them, but don't really feel compelled to post in them.

I've seen some forum posts concerning pipes at what I believe are general tobacco/smoking forums, but they haven't really grabbed me and I honestly don't remember the names. From my experience, I'd say, yes, BoB is the best pipe forum, which is why I chose to join this one.

BoB works for me.
The logic of the layout, and the ease of use, as well as the mix of characters keeps me coming back.

I looked at a couple of other forums before settling on BoB, not only does it seem (to me at least) to be the most straightforward to use but the relaxed and friendly atmosphere was the main appeal. I think if you are going to post on a forum its best to keep to one, that way you can give it all your focus and not have to keep track of multiple threads on multiple topics in multiple locations and risk spreading yourself too thin, so to speak.

I pretty much agree with the other brothers who posted on this thread. BoB is great! That's why I return to it. There is a certain amount of time commitment required to keep abreast of the very interesting threads on this site, so I couldn't imagine trying to keep up with another site or two. I just don't have the time required to do it. Nor the desire.

Enjoy the day!

I enjoy this forum a great deal, however, like this forum I also enjoy Pipes Magazine, and lastly the Pipe & Co. group on the Art of Manliness. There is some crossover of membership on all three groups, but there are individuals on each that I have developed and maintained friendships with. So I make the time to check out all three groups daily.

Only have time for one forum. When I looked for one to join, this looked like the most rounded one and without heavyhanded moderators. Therefore, here I am.

Yeah, about a year ago when I started smoking I joined another forum. I'm still active over there, but its a little slower. I found myself lurking around here more and more so I finally decided to join a couple of weeks ago. Before that I was a one forum man.

Be glad you guys have the option! The proliferation of pipe forums on the net has made it increasingly crazy to try and spread advertising by those of us in the biz. Where I could post in alt.smokers.pipes and reach the majority of online pipe guys 10 years ago, today it's more like 6-8 forums minimum, as well as keeping tracks of multiple blogs, wikis, etc. As far as actively posting on the subject in general, I guess I do the majority of my posts here, on SF, and on my blog.

TreverT: Sounds to me like you need administrative support to keep your business successful. I suggest a regional office at my place. Already have the phones the fax, the computer and the BBA and MBA degrees. I also know what it's like to enjoy a great blend in a solid pipe. This will be a pipe smoking only permitted office. If you are game, PM me. My rule about advertising budgets are that they only grow with media response. If we don't get any business from a forum, they don't get our advertising dollars. The key is to solicit data from your customer base to ascertain where they learned about your company. Then you have to track consumer purchases to see what the demand is for your product inventory. Throughout all you must keep your prices competitive and your customer service paramount. That is my free advice. Additional service from me requires a business partnership.
By the way, send me some product info. Your pipe selections and your tobacco products. Never can tell, I may be your next customer. My best to you brother.

Talbert Pipes needs about as much advertising as GL Pease.

But it is nice that you visit us from time to time.

PB: You my friend are a pip! Glad we have met. Now I want to smell the horse turd. Don't forget we are doing dinner together! Elmont is one hour West of my home on Long Island and Saratoga is one hour West of my ski house upstate so by hook or crook you and I are going to stink up a room together. And don't worry my post was in jest. I've PM'ed Trevor. I know what the quality of his work is. Just out of my PAD budget. And yes, I've noted too that Trevor has about 37 posts to your gazillion. He is not too frequent a visitor but maybe you and I could encourage more participation on his part.

There was a time when I belonged to 2 pipe forums a few years back and it just to much work. I spent most of my time at Stokers Haven until the owner passed it on to someone else and it just wasn't the same after that so a lot of us left :cry: . I stayed out of the forums after that for about 4 years and then decided to look around for a new forum to call my home. That being said after months of searching I decided on BOB because it offered everything I was looking for :cheers:

LI. I've been here since day one ( day two, day one was actually setting the board up) I've posted more than anyone but JP. I am a mod. I invented the Rubber Room. And I even have a spiffy board given title under my board name.
Do you know how valuable and authoritative that makes me?

Not one wit more than the guy that signed up and said Hi 30 minutes ago.
I sometimes forget that but it doesn't make it less true.

Do we have cliqs? Yup, after so many years hanging out online together it happens. It's natural.
Do we razz the newbs a little? Sure, it's fun, and we've all went through it.
Tj, Jt, PIPEMAKER, and a few other used to ride me hard back in the day.

I honestly wish the post counts weren't even there. Some people mistake it for seniority or aged wisdom when all it really means is someone post more than others.
Trever is one of the best, his old Goblin pipes are second to none, and his 'regular' line is ton 5 or so in the world (speaking regarding functional art)
If he had an old Danish or Japanese name his stuff would sale for thousands instead of hundreds. The day I don't defer to him regarding pipes is the day someone seriously needs to get me to the mental institute.

puros_bran":7cx9plu7 said:
I don't post in pipe forums.
Nah, me neither.

I was booted off the pipe forum that almost everyone has been booted off, because I dared to have an opinion other than "Nice pipe!" and joined Eric over at Tampandpuff.com, where I'm now a UK-based mod.

This is my other place, and although I post infrequently, I lurk a lot. Some names here are common to both forums, which is as it should be.

I like it here and will try to contribute more in the future. 8)