Ouch

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MC

Reaction score
Spent a lazy day yesterday drinking beer and pipe smoking. Think I smoked 3 bowls of McClelland 5100 and 3-4 bowls of Frog Morton. Maybe one of McCrannies black cherry.
Woke up this morning with a bad case of tongue bite and was wondering if y'all think I smoked to much or to fast. I try very hard to smoke slow but......Forgot to mention that this is my first time with the dreaded bite, not very pleasant. Any home remedies out there in "Pipelandia"

Ah, good ol' tongue fatigue. Everyone's had it...if they haven't, they ain't smokin' a pipe. :twisted:

Rest your tongue, maybe give it a gentle toothbrushing next time you polish the chompers. Sometimes tongue sear from too hot/fast of smoke will give a similar feeling like coffee tongue burn or from diving into a hot slice of pizza too quickly.

Happens to all at some point.

8)

MC":afc12kq3 said:
Spent a lazy day yesterday drinking beer and pipe smoking. Think I smoked 3 bowls of McClelland 5100 and 3-4 bowls of Frog Morton. Maybe one of McCrannies black cherry.
Woke up this morning with a bad case of tongue bite and was wondering if y'all think I smoked to much or to fast. I try very hard to smoke slow but......Forgot to mention that this is my first time with the dreaded bite, not very pleasant. Any home remedies out there in "Pipelandia"
7 bowls in a day is quite a bit to my mind. I'll average maybe 5 at the most and depending on what I smoke and my mental state when I smoked 'em, I've experienced the same "tongue fatigue" . Give your mouth and tongue a rest for a day and see if all's not better tommorrow :p

You had quite a day and now you are paying for it. Been there and done that. :D

Well, unbelievably... another use for duct tape. lol

MC

The aromatic cherry might have been the culprit. Slow down with those blends. Did you relight a lot? I found when I got better at packing and relights dropped off, my tongue bite disappeared. One day I just realized I no longer experienced that malady.

I got some biotene and wow...it really helps. Thanks for the advice.

DrumsAndBeer":emavhpqw said:
Biotene 5 times a day for tongue bite. Get some.
It's good stuff - I found it helped me.

Regards

Jers

If you can, try to avoid alcohol while smoking your pipe.... alcohol makes it easier to get tongue bite!

Johnny":j92n9tr3 said:
If you can, try to avoid alcohol while smoking your pipe.... alcohol makes it easier to get tongue bite!
Yeah - but it makes the tongue feel so much better at the time. :mrgreen:
Either that or the alcohol helps you reach a point where you really don't care. 8)

Rob_In_MO":9t24d1lc said:
Johnny":9t24d1lc said:
Yeah - but it makes the tongue feel so much better at the time. :mrgreen:
Either that or the alcohol helps you reach a point where you really don't care. 8)
The latter part is very true, Rob! Alcohol could be a good cure for tongue bite, at least you won't give a rat's ass if your tongue is scorched!

DrumsAndBeer":yyy60po7 said:
Biotene 5 times a day for tongue bite. Get some.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

No B.S. Biotene mouth rinse really works!!!!! I got over excited as I have a tendency to do and power puffed last night’s Dunhill Nightcap resulting in a scorched to hell tongue. :oops: It was so painful this morning that I couldn't smoke my morning blend at all. :( :x
BOB had the answer to my woes though! Thank you again! :cheers:

Did you ever wonder why dogs like to ride in cars with their heads out the window, mouths open and tongues flapping in the wind?

Pipe and beer is either a fantastic match, or a terrible concoction. I'm no lush, but a beer and a pipe after work usually hits the spot. I like to smoke a pipe, but seven in a row? (I'm only assuming). Spread 'em out a little. Alex and I once smoked 12 bowls and a cigar in a day. Left me feeling a bit sick, but nothing can deter me from the pipe. Or tobacco in general. I've had certain beers with pipes that mixed like water and oil. Some are good, some are bad.
Zach