Out of roundness?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the macdonald

Reaction score
I bought a Don Carlos 2 note recently from The Pipe Rack. In the description it said that the bowl was "slightly out of round," which put the pipe in my budget. Because of the defect they put a 6-month guarantee on it against burnout. The bowl is exactly what they said, and the defect is so subtle I probably wouldn’t have noticed if they didn’t say anything. I have smoked the pipe and I am very happy with it, but I am wondering if there are any signs of pending disaster I should be on the look out for.

Also, I am wondering if building a cake will correct the “out of roundness” enough to avoid burnout.

My first thought is that there are 'conel' (sp) bowls and as long as the pipe is smoked evenly there should be no problems... wouldn't burnout apply more to a defect like a large pit more than a not so perfectly "rounded" bowl. Just a thought.

The bowl being out of round is nothing but an aeshetic problem, and if you don't even notice it, just smoke the pipe and enjoy it as you would any other.

Lack of roundness in the bowl will not cause burnout. There's nothing to worry about.

Rad

Agree w/Rad. Non issue.

I charge extra for chambers out of round. :lol:

Sasquatch":lztx9nvj said:
Agree w/Rad. Non issue.

I charge extra for chambers out of round. :lol:
Lol! The new Sasquatch Oval line, "tired of the same ole' round bowl?"

Lack of roundness in the bowl will not cause burnout. There's nothing to worry about.

That's what I thought, but when they put a "special guarantee" on it started me thinking that perhaps it might be a doomed pipe. I have grown to love the pipe to the point of strutting around the house spouting Italian gibberish, because I know roughly 20 Italian word that aren't food, and the phrase, "I want...(Io verrebbe{misspelled})," and "Dove sta amore," from a Lawrence Ferlinghetti poem, augmented by waving my hands about in an European manner--so I am happy to hear it may last me a good long time.