Out of the tap, or in a can?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crookshanks

Reaction score
Once when baccy shopping in Dublin, Ohio, a really nice guy who runs the Tinderbox there said something interesting in a conversation that we were having about our favorite blends. We shared a love for Dunhill blends, and especially Durbar and Early Morning Pipe. He said: "I only smoke them bulk though. No tins. Why would you drink out of a can when you can get it off tap?"

Now, there are obvious issues there, but, is there anything to it? Does the tin taint the tobacco in the same way that cans do to beer? If you took tobacco on the same day, and tinned one batch, and put the other batch in Mylar bags, or Mason jars etc, what would the difference be?

Doesn't sound right to me - the freshness of tap beer vs canned has very little to do with the freshness of tobacco, where aging beats freshness.

Aging means being sealed up - with a bit of air - in a tin or jar.

Bulk stuffed into a jar should be the same as a tin, as far as the tobacco is concerned - and loose bulk should be equal to an open tin.

Yes, if you like Dunhill blends and he has them for sale in bulk, you should buy some.

Well if you're gonna have a keg, I hope you have a good CO2 tank. The reason most take tins/cans over bulk is freshness. I hate to throw PA into this, but that's why people want PA in a can rather than in the pouch.

I like beer and tobacco no matter how its packaged.....Burp....J/K

I prefer my beer in the bottle..Ill drink it how ever I get it though.....

Tobacco ages and gets better with time....Beer doesnt so its not a fair compareson..

rickf28":bppfvo7o said:
I like beer and tobacco no matter how its packaged.....Burp....J/K

I prefer my beer in the bottle..Ill drink it how ever I get it though.....

Tobacco ages and gets better with time....Beer doesnt so its not a fair compareson..
That's what they say about beer and maybe true of commercially distributed beer. But I have some home brew that I made 5 years ago, and I gotta tell you, it's the best damned beer I ever had.

Awesome stuff guys.

I suppose what I meant to ask is: do you think that the "can" causes a change to the contents. Tobacco (like, or unlike beer) will age if you seal it in a tin, a bag, or a jar, once it is tumbled and ready for market, but, is the tin the one that is most likely to change the color of the flavor.

Like Coke. I can tell the difference between coke from a glass bottle, and Coke from a can, and DEFINITELY from a plastic bottle-regardless of their age. I think the glass bottle tastes better than the can. The can sharpens it for me. Might cans sharpen tobacco too?

My understanding is the tin is non-reactive and is no different than glass as far as aging tobacco goes.

Rust and breakage aside :)

The person you are speaking of is Mike at the Tinderbox in Dublin, OH. He is a very knowledgable and a longtime pipe smoker whom I have known for several years and anytime I pass through Columbus I always stop to enjoy a bowl of my favorite tobacco with him. He has a keen eye for picking out beautiful pipes so if you are ever in Columbus you owe it to yourself to stop at the shop.

Mike smokes Dunhill EMP which I have personally never tried as I tend to smoke straight Virginia's. I don't know if he believes that the tin "takes away from" or "changes" the tobacco or not but you can contact him and ask him for yourself but I do know that he does occasionally enjoy aged EMP in tins. You can read his various thoughts on pipe smoking at http://www.tinderboxinternational.com/pguru.htm as he writes articles promoting pipe smoking for Tinderbox International and posts them on their web site.

To each his own as it pertains to how we as individuals enjoy our beloved pipes and tobacco.

God Bless and Merry Christmas!

Beer ages very well actually. Buy two bottles of a Belgium Trappist beer(bottle fermented ales), drink one now and one in 5 years... night and day!