Over Reaming

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milan

Reaction score
Will a pipe that has been over reamed be more susceptible to burnout? Are there any other things to consider before purchasing a pipe that has been slightly over reamed?
Thanks,
Milan

Milan":euov32mw said:
Will a pipe that has been over reamed be more susceptible to burnout? Are there any other things to consider before purchasing a pipe that has been slightly over reamed?
Thanks,
Milan
Any removal of briar makes a pipe more susceptible to burn out as there is now less briar. I imagine flawed briar is a greater culprit than over reaming. That said, I've only heard of one instance where a well used Kaywoodie burned out after many years of heavy use. The same Kaywoodie was bought used on the cheap as a knock around pipe. The smoker quite enjoyed it and was honored to preside over its retirement.

There is another problem, though less serious, to consider, one that is similar to breaking in a new pipe. Such as the pipe “weeping” smoke as the pipe is re-broken in. However the pipe will do so unevenly making the process somewhat more complicated than with a new pipe as you try to build the cake back up. Note that my experience here is second hand. So take it for it is worth. ;)

Thanks for the input. The pipe in question has been overreamed at the rim of the bowl causing the top of the bowl to become slightly off circle. I imagine by packing a more shallow full bowl that this should avoid making the problem worse? In other words, you know how the part of the rim that is closest to th smoker tends to heat up more and take more of a hit so to speak... the owner reamed it so much that it wore down just the inside of the rim slightly. Normally many pipes have charring on this part of the rim, but not an elimination of actual briar material. Thanks again. I just don't want to buy a pipe that ends up having problems. I think I can deal with the way it looks?
Cheers,
Milan

Hey Milan,

Based on your description, I think you'll be fine. However, pictures are always helpful in determining this. :)

UberHuberMan":3061e6qq said:
Hey Milan,

Based on your description, I think you'll be fine. However, pictures are always helpful in determining this. :)
The only problem with pictures is that it's an eBay auction and if I throw it up here now then I may create my own competition. I'll throw up a picture after the auction ends regardless of whether I win it or not. Just for discussion sake.
Cheers,
Milan

UberHuberMan":dyc046n0 said:
Hey Milan,

Aye, this. 8)

To add, the off-centered nature of a tobacco chamber relative to the bowl isn't necessarily something that's going to cause a burnout, it's damage or a flaw that's in the briar. Now, if the pipe was over-reamed and exposed a flaw which was once both below a layer of cake and briar, that could be a concern. Things that can combust aren't necessarily "flammable," they need some kind of edge to get them started. Part of the reason why briar is so great for pipes is, yes, it is more burn-resistant than other wood, but the treatment/removal of resins in the wood, quality of craftsmanship and the solidity of the briar itself are what will determine a pipe's well-being. That and the smoker taking care of it! :D

Treat the pipe gently as if it were new and being broken-in for the first time, get some cake built up, and you should be okay.

8)