Overcoming the vitamin N.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i.keenum

Reaction score
Is there any way to help with handling the vitamin N of certain blends? I was giving peterson university flake another try while relaxing in the blow up pool, and I really enjoyed it. Very nice and earthy, somewhere along the lines of bread, fallen leaves after a fresh rain, and hay. But after about a 45 minute smoke outside I stood up and got that green under the gills feeling.

Brewdude":doe06ya2 said:
Take a small tsp of sugar and dissolve it slowly. That helps.

Cheers,

RR
I agree! Also, honey or any type high sugar content items like candy will work. Jolly Ranchers, etc.

The quicker it can digest and get to the bloodstream, the quicker you will get relief.

I'm glad you asked i.k, I had it pretty bad a couple weeks back and didn't know what to do about it. :pale:

Time to stalk up on the sweets or go the Mary Poppins route and just down a spoonful.

Thanks folks!

Try drinking a big glass of Sweet Tea while smoking. That way you stay hydrated, and the sugar in the tea will work with the nicotine and mellow out a bit. That's what I do. I find that a glass of Sweet tea, or a mug of warm sweetened tea goes very well with a pipe. I like Earl Grey but Lady Grey is a much nicer blend also, not quite as spicy as Earl Grey. Kind of like Early Morning Pipe is to 965.

CygnusXII":a2m5ptuw said:
Try drinking a big glass of Sweet Tea while smoking.
This. Alternatively, if it happens to pair well with the blend you're smoking, a few bites of a chocolate bar helps quite a bit. Really, as the other posts have pointed out, anything with a fairly high sugar content is a big help.

If it is a matter of prevention, I have the best luck with beverages (non-carbo'd, unless you want your tongue to hate you) when I know I'm about to reach for a nicotine-heavy blend. If it's a matter of getting past effects of the 'N' that you're already feeling, chocolate's my go-to.

Thanks guy I normally go to sweet tea when drinking out side. I didn't realize that sugar helped.

Well there goes the great plan of smoking a pipe to lose weight. :lol!:

am i the only one that likes the nicotine buzz? lest we forget, the majority of us are habitual drug users. caffiene, nicotine and alcohol are regular parts of my diet. I am not "chasing" it when I smoke a pipe nor do I pick my tobaccos based on nic level, but a little head swimming sensation is a part of my pipe-smoking experience when i am puffing away for an hour plus.

To bring the thought back towards the OP, I understand the sensation equating to queasiness... For those who want a mental image, watch "The Sandlot" when a bunch of 12-year olds have their first chew when they go riding a bunch of carnival rides; however, I find that the feeling is really on the edge amongst vertigo, nausea, and stimulant-infused euphoria. I guess the Idea is to focus on the latter while supressing the others. After a while, when your sensitivity evens out (read: building tolerance) you dont feel uneasy any more. Having a little alcohol in your system helps suppress the negative effects, while enhancing the positive (read: multiplier effect).

Sorry to involve the "rehab" lingo, but that is really what is happening in your body when you smoke. many in society abhore these facts. I revel in them, and have since college. (my "Animal House-esque" claim to fame: in a frat house of 60 guys, I scored the best on our alcohol awarness class exam that we took to lower insurance rates. I was blind drunk when I took it) It is good to know what you are putting in your body, and understanding the effects is important to me.

Funny how some people can be on the other end of that. I look forward to as much vitamin N as possible. Figure that's from being a cigarette smoker for 20+ years. I stopped smoking them over a year ago but still LOVE to get a fix with V-N heavy tabaccy. SG's ropes are great for that. Peterson Irish Flake too.

Joeluka":fi021l9k said:
Funny how some people can be on the other end of that. I look forward to as much vitamin N as possible. Figure that's from being a cigarette smoker for 20+ years. I stopped smoking them over a year ago but still LOVE to get a fix with V-N heavy tabaccy. SG's ropes are great for that. Peterson Irish Flake too.
I never smoked cigs. dipped when I played baseball, I enjoy cigars every once in a while, and the pipe is my new hobby as of this year. For me, it is about the reflection and the flavor: the "me-time" if you will. Same with a good bourbon, or a well made beer. These are my selfish pleasures in life. They all can be had for reasonable prices. I have a sufficent pipe rotation, so I am past the "initial investment" phase which can be a bear for those of us with other financial obligations.

Like I said, these are my personal indulgences. I have co-workers that insist on drinking starbucks coffee, event though we have good coffee for free at work. I have friends who drive expensive cars, when a ten-year old honda or public transit gets me to work on time just the same as their little german job.

I just feel that if I were after the buzz, this wouldnt be the way I would do it. My wife grew up in a house where hard liquor was "for alcoholics" but beer and wine were ok. Trying to explain that I enjoy bourbon, and can have a finger or two and that's all I drink for the evening was nearly a lost cause. She smoked cigs from when she was 13 until she got pregnant, so explaining that the pipe isnt about the "fix" falls on deaf ears. Sorry for the usual tangent, but I really find this to be a good exercise in self-justification. Wouldn't mind a "hell yeah" in support if anyone else feels similarly

I jumped right into some pretty heavy tobaks early on in my piping--as a cig smoker that quit 10 years ago, even back then I didn't like gobs of nicotine (I usually smoked ultra-lights, and not many of 'em). Needless to say, I understand what a nicotine "hit" is.

With a pipe, it comes on almost like alcohol in a slowly-sipped beer. Comparatively, cigarettes seemed to always be there trying filling some never-ending, bottomless hole. Like, my want for nicotine was a swimming pool and all I had was a garden hose. With the pipe, you get a massive rush of nicotine from certain mixes and blends, and after a while it's done.

I've only gotten a nicotine hangover once, and that was from JKP.

Other suggestions:

* Smoke more. Your body does build a tolerance. Find gentler 'bacca if you do this, something with less punch--spread it out...but also...

* ...smoke slower. There seems to be a balance at which your body can process incoming nicotine. Since we're essentially and purposefully poisoning ourselves, the liver is hard at work cleaning you up. Some livers work more efficiently than others--age, health and liver size can matter.

* Smoke in cooler areas/times of day. Heat raises blood pressure, and if you're already thirsty, you've become dehydrated. Both situations mean the body's ability to deal with toxins has been diminished.

* Exercise more. Body health and metabolism go a long way in dealing with stress, circulation and metabolism. Let's face it, a lot of us could do more. Take a walk. Work out. Even a stretching routine. Body and mind, relaxed and physically-tested, will happily accept a good pipe!

* Alcohol. Seems kind of strange, but it thins the blood, makes stuff move quicker. Probably not an appetizing solution when you're already green, but if you sip an adult beverage while (or even before) you smoke, it may get the works movin' a little better.

8)

jefe1037":m2nbh8wr said:
Joeluka":m2nbh8wr said:
I never smoked cigs. dipped when I played baseball, I enjoy cigars every once in a while, and the pipe is my new hobby as of this year. For me, it is about the reflection and the flavor: the "me-time" if you will. Same with a good bourbon, or a well made beer. These are my selfish pleasures in life. They all can be had for reasonable prices. I have a sufficent pipe rotation, so I am past the "initial investment" phase which can be a bear for those of us with other financial obligations.

Like I said, these are my personal indulgences. I have co-workers that insist on drinking starbucks coffee, event though we have good coffee for free at work. I have friends who drive expensive cars, when a ten-year old honda or public transit gets me to work on time just the same as their little german job.

I just feel that if I were after the buzz, this wouldnt be the way I would do it. My wife grew up in a house where hard liquor was "for alcoholics" but beer and wine were ok. Trying to explain that I enjoy bourbon, and can have a finger or two and that's all I drink for the evening was nearly a lost cause. She smoked cigs from when she was 13 until she got pregnant, so explaining that the pipe isnt about the "fix" falls on deaf ears. Sorry for the usual tangent, but I really find this to be a good exercise in self-justification. Wouldn't mind a "hell yeah" in support if anyone else feels similarly

Don't get me wrong. I'm all about the flavors I pull from my pipe's. I enjoy ARO's as much as I do Heavy Latakia blends. There are days I can't do anything but smoke sweet aged Virginians. I'm not even going to get into the cigar aspect of my tobacco love affair.

I'll be completely honest. Once a pack of smokes hit $10 here on LI, NY, I decided that at that price I could just pick a new tin or cigar instead of the coffin nails.

Bourbon??? Lets not even get into that OCD of mine. I think I even know who you are from your avatar. Maybe not, but I still crave the nic and find its easier and cheaper to get it from the occasional bowl on my pipe.

Funny enough, I don't care so much about nicotine one way or the other--we all really do know what's "just right" for us. If you wanna watch the room spin, have at it. If you'd rather feel just as upright as you did when you started, well, that's okay, too. Me? I meditate with it, I guess.

Whether or not it's only the nicotine, I like to finish my pipe with a nice feeling of contemplative mellowness, an I-just-took-a-nap-and-feel-great kind of thing. I get a little disappointed my bowl is over, but I look forward to tomorrow and usually take a deep, thoughtful breath and smile thinking, "This is why I do this."

8)

I for one smoke to deal with the nausea caused by many of the medications I take to supress my immune system. I only rarely get bowled over by the N in a blend. Not enjoyable but part of the learning process. On heavy blends a smaller bowl helps and don't be shy about walking away for 15-20 minutes. A cool rag on the back of the neck can also help if the sugar isn't helping fast enough.

Jim

Never smoked cigs just went straight for the pipe. And since I have started it's been mostly aros so lady doesn't get to kick my teeth in too often.

Been reading of all the problems folks have been having with "Lady Nic" and realized I've been smoking weak tobacco all these years :p Have been smoking lots of different "English/Balkan" blends all these years as well as some dark dog turd looking stuff way back and have never gotten near as much of "Lady Nic" from any of 'em :p I did smoke cigs way back and occasionaly when I want that "hit" I pick up a pack of Dunhill Reds or unfiltered Pall-Malls :p Guess it's a personal chemistry thing after all !

The only cigs I have tried that were remotely bearable are lucky strikes and american spirits perique. They never hit me hard.