Oxidation

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Savinelli pipe paste but I've read here that grain alcohol works well for light duty whereas OxyClean is your solution for heavy duty.

I agree with the Oxyclean method, stuff works real well. You will always have to buff for your final finish no matter what you use. Good luck bud

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t14623-obsidian-pipe-stem-oil

Hey mg!

A little wet sanding with 500 grit then 1000 grit, then blue polish and waxing for me. That's just what I have on hand. Still wanting to check out the Oxy and Obsidian method, though.

Im trying Walker Briar Works stem restore kit, it seems to work good, like Kyle said sandpaper and buff works good, Ive used bleach with excellent results too but I think most frown upon using that method

What is the deal with bleach, anyway? What does it do to the sulfur that's leached out of the vulcanite? More so, why is it frowned upon?

For me:
- Oxyclean soak
- Micromesh sanding, up to 12,000 grit
- Polish on a wheel with Megiuars plastic polish

People say it damages the rubber, how I'm not sure. For me I've used it for a while with no obvious side effects

i noticed mine would get a green tint to it after doing yard work in the sun. Then i get a little oil of some sort and polish it and it goes away, one day i decided to use some greasy sun lotion to polish it and it seems to help it from the sun turning it green so far.

There is a correlation between UV (A/B?) radiation and the sulfur staining of the vulcanized rubber stems. I just had to re-polish my leather french bulldog after I gave it a good once-over...

...I like the sunblock idea; not so sure I'd enjoy the ambient smell or affective taste, but... :lol: No more green stem!

I use OOOO steel wool. If it works on gun blueing without damaging the blueing for blemishes . I get good results on my stems. After alot of rubbing I use Brebbia pipe and mouth peice polish. Be careful some products will take the marking on the stem off. Anything bleach will remove white markings

plumbernater":pdaatdgv said:
Be careful some products will take the marking on the stem off. Anything bleach will remove white markings
This is what I wanted to know... excellent. Thank you. :)

Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser -- the end.

On the other hand, I have tried bleach to get rid of oxidation and it works wonders as well. Though I have gotten rid of all my pipes that are vulcanite because of the terrible taste, I did use the bleach method several times. If there are any emblems on the stem (makers mark, etc), put some petroleum jelly over it so it doesn't ruin.

Brewdude":j8z1exn5 said:
Not familiar with this. Where does one find it - in the supermarket in the cleaning supply aisle?

TIA

Cheers,

RR

joshoowah":j8z1exn5 said:
It would be on the aisle with all the cleaning materials (brooms, toilet brushes, cleansers, etc.). Scrub away.

joshoowah":4tm8rpin said:
Brewdude":4tm8rpin said:
Not familiar with this. Where does one find it - in the supermarket in the cleaning supply aisle?

TIA

Cheers,

RR

joshoowah":4tm8rpin said:
It would be on the aisle with all the cleaning materials (brooms, toilet brushes, cleansers, etc.). Scrub away.
That's what I wanted to know!

Muchos Gracias joshoowah!

Cheers,

RR

I have a couple magic erasers I found little use for around the house--perhaps they'll get used on the pipes!