Oxidation

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I have time...
Qxy soak stem - 1hr
rinse
Everclear soaked pipe cleaners for cleaning draw
white diamond buff
light carnuba wax buff

Brewdude":0lj8nekb said:
joshoowah":0lj8nekb said:
Brewdude":0lj8nekb said:
Not familiar with this. Where does one find it - in the supermarket in the cleaning supply aisle?

TIA

Cheers,

RR

joshoowah":0lj8nekb said:
Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser -- the end.
It would be on the aisle with all the cleaning materials (brooms, toilet brushes, cleansers, etc.). Scrub away.
That's what I wanted to know!

Muchos Gracias joshoowah!

Cheers,

RR

Well I found the magic erasers and tried it out today on one of my badly oxidized stems from a Peterson p-lip.

Have to say it worked a charm, and removed the discoloration with minimal elbow grease. Took all of 5 minutes or so to get an acceptable result.

Rinsed the stem thoroughly and set out to dry. I was a bit concerned about the instructions on the box which say "Rinse required for dishwashing and surfaces in direct contact with food". Clearly, I don't want leftover chemical residue on something I'm going to be putting in my mouth!

Now that it's dried, I can see a couple areas around the end of the bit I missed but don't think I'll be concerned. The main issue was removing the gross looking oxidation which has been accomplished.

I'll probably attack the rest of my vulcanite stems in due course. Just wanted to try it out on one first and guage the results.

Thanks for the tip josh!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":pimoh8vm said:
joshoowah":pimoh8vm said:
Not familiar with this. Where does one find it - in the supermarket in the cleaning supply aisle?

TIA

Cheers,

RR

joshoowah":pimoh8vm said:
Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser -- the end.
It would be on the aisle with all the cleaning materials (brooms, toilet brushes, cleansers, etc.). Scrub away.
That's what I wanted to know!

Muchos Gracias joshoowah!

Cheers,

RR

Well I found the magic erasers and tried it out today on one of my badly oxidized stems from a Peterson p-lip.

Have to say it worked a charm, and removed the discoloration with minimal elbow grease. Took all of 5 minutes or so to get an acceptable result.

Rinsed the stem thoroughly and set out to dry. I was a bit concerned about the instructions on the box which say "Rinse required for dishwashing and surfaces in direct contact with food". Clearly, I don't want leftover chemical residue on something I'm going to be putting in my mouth!

Now that it's dried, I can see a couple areas around the end of the bit I missed but don't think I'll be concerned. The main issue was removing the gross looking oxidation which has been accomplished.

I'll probably attack the rest of my vulcanite stems in due course. Just wanted to try it out on one first and guage the results.

Thanks for the tip josh!

Cheers,

RR
:cheers:

Yes, sir. I am glad you tried it out.