P&C with new McClelland releases

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipesmoker09

Reaction score
Hello Brothers a lot of you may know but Pipes and Cigars has pre orders for the new McClelland releases....

McC xmas cheer 2012 is $17.26 (100gm tin) and
McC Frog morton Cellar is $18.14 (100 gm tin)

Wonder why the unusual higher pricing for these?? Anyhow Im gonna commence my order for a couple xmas cheer and try a 50 gm tin of the FM cellar and see how she smokes. The rest of the releases however, are pretty reasonably priced.

Thanks for the head's up. SO, being a new guy, question time... I hear awesome things about McC Christmas Cheer. I know it is released during the holidays (duh) for a limited time. My question is this, is it essentially the same blend every year or do they change it up a bit from edition to edition...?

Sloppy Joe Hemingway":wviknhlu said:
Thanks for the head's up. SO, being a new guy, question time... I hear awesome things about McC Christmas Cheer. I know it is released during the holidays (duh) for a limited time. My question is this, is it essentially the same blend every year or do they change it up a bit from edition to edition...?
It's always a broken flue cured Virginia flake. But due to the fact that tobacco used changes year to year there will be subtle differences in each vintage. I have had the 2010 and the 2011. Good stuff.

Here's my spin:

Wonder why the unusual higher pricing for these??
It's because this is the United States of America and businesses are free to set whatever prices they want in order to make a profit. If they think they can get more, they often try.

Re: Christmas Cheer:
is it essentially the same blend every year or do they change it up a bit from edition to edition...?
Brewdude is the resident Cheer Afficionado...but I think that the blends change a little each year. I could be wrong. Given the following tin description from the 2009 year, they at least represent different crop years.

Handblended, premium pressed Virginia flake tobaccos. A fine vintage, naturally sweet, in limited quantity. This 2009 blend is made with a special selection of beautiful, sugary, deep orange South Carolina Border Belt flue-cured Virginia from the 2003 crop.

JRcigars orders enough Christmas Cheer that they still have it in stock online. I will wait until they get ole Froggy's cellar to order it since somehow their packages get here quicker than anyone elses, they can turn a month wait into 9 days every time somehow.

It kills me, because I just placed an order on Tuesday - that shipped yesterday, but I'm ordering one of each.

They also have the Stave-Aged 35 Virginia Ribbon but only in 50g tins - for $11.60. The 50g tin of FM's Cellar is $10.67.

Also, 4noggins has X-mass Cheer 2012 for a few bucks less, but they don't have the other two.

Smokingpipes.com has ALL of these new McCelland blends/mixtures IN STOCK! And their prices are NOT out of the stratosphere. I called 'em to ask about them and they assured me they have a good stock on hand! :p

monbla256":26a5x3u1 said:
Smokingpipes.com has ALL of these new McCelland blends/mixtures IN STOCK! And their prices are NOT out of the stratosphere. I called 'em to ask about them and they assured me they have a good stock on hand! :p
Did you ask if the chunk of wood counted towards the tin weight? I'm also curious to know if there is double the wood block in the 100g vs the 50g.

Blackhorse":qdtdxau9 said:
JR's won't likely get the new blends. They stock the same rotations over and over so waiting for them to stock it will be pointless.
You just love to kick a guy don't ya BH? Man oh man...lol no biggie I will pick some up tomorrow. I am waiting right now anyhow to find out what is up with me staying where I am or moving so my TAD is a little behind. Glad I stocked up when I came over here.

Blackhorse":5fonnezm said:
is it essentially the same blend every year or do they change it up a bit from edition to edition...?
Brewdude is the resident Cheer Afficionado...but I think that the blends change a little each year. I could be wrong. Given the following tin description from the 2009 year, they at least represent different crop years.

Handblended, premium pressed Virginia flake tobaccos. A fine vintage, naturally sweet, in limited quantity. This 2009 blend is made with a special selection of beautiful, sugary, deep orange South Carolina Border Belt flue-cured Virginia from the 2003 crop.

Well I may be a CC ho, but I'm certainly not the only one here. I like to buy a tin or two each year and age it since it can be a bit bitey when young. Working on some '07 right now.

:tongue:

Cheers,

RR

pipesmoker09":68re7ea2 said:
Hello Brothers a lot of you may know but Pipes and Cigars has pre orders for the new McClelland releases....

McC xmas cheer 2012 is $17.26 (100gm tin) and
McC Frog morton Cellar is $18.14 (100 gm tin)

Wonder why the unusual higher pricing for these?? Anyhow Im gonna commence my order for a couple xmas cheer and try a 50 gm tin of the FM cellar and see how she smokes. The rest of the releases however, are pretty reasonably priced.

smokingpipes has it for $15.20 which is about the cost I'm used to paying.

Buy it here and you're welcome-

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mcclelland/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=107866

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":za4sdb6t said:
Blackhorse":za4sdb6t said:

Well I may be a CC ho, but I'm certainly not the only one here. I like to buy a tin or two each year and age it since it can be a bit bitey when young. Working on some '07 right now.

:tongue:

Same, my 07 smokes very pleasant and has a small amount of sugar crystal buildup very satisfied

Cheers,

RR

kaiser - how would I feel if I knew you were waiting for JR to stock something that will never hit their shelves. I mean, I don't think they even get in the new Christmas Cheer. It seems like they have no interest in stocking the new and exciting blends as they roll down the pike. But with their shipping cost I think they're THE joint to check out when you want some tins of something that you know is there. It especially works well for a brand like Rattray that never comes up with anything new...go get the 100 gm tin of Hal 'O the Wynd for $13.50...it's always there! They always seem to have the big 4 Froggy blends, now going for $14.50 so for a buck more you've in good shape. And shipping is $5 for Priority Mail. I put a tin in the cart to check the current shipping cost and then changed it to 10 tins...same $5.00! That's about the cheapest deal I've found anywhere...overall.

Blackhorse":lr3pvgi5 said:
kaiser - how would I feel if I knew you were waiting for JR to stock something that will never hit their shelves. I mean, I don't think they even get in the new Christmas Cheer. It seems like they have no interest in stocking the new and exciting blends as they roll down the pike. But with their shipping cost I think they're THE joint to check out when you want some tins of something that you know is there. It especially works well for a brand like Rattray that never comes up with anything new...go get the 100 gm tin of Hal 'O the Wynd for $13.50...it's always there! They always seem to have the big 4 Froggy blends, now going for $14.50 so for a buck more you've in good shape. And shipping is $5 for Priority Mail. I put a tin in the cart to check the current shipping cost and then changed it to 10 tins...same $5.00! That's about the cheapest deal I've found anywhere...overall.
I was just picking on you BH. I actually emailed JR yesterday and asked if they would be stocking the new Frog and Old Dark Fired. They do get in new blends but it is generally something you have to recommend as they don't go off on their own in search of new and exciting blends. They do have Christmas Cheer in stock year round so you can either get some aged tins at the same low price or new ones once the old are gone.

Blackhorse":0hxioiu3 said:
I do enjoy Rattrays and will agree with you there are deals to be found on JR and I will say I placed an order one saturday only to find it on my doorstep on tuesday....

Fishfuzz":os2w24m8 said:
monbla256":os2w24m8 said:
Did you ask if the chunk of wood counted towards the tin weight? I'm also curious to know if there is double the wood block in the 100g vs the 50g.
Since they are selling tobacco as it says on the tin, by Federal law you are getting the wieght of the TOBACCO, not +wood. Thanks to the Fair Trade Act :p I'm sure they have figured it all out and I'll bet the "whiskey wood" really does not add much to the flavor but more to the tin aroma. I would imagine it would need to be "cellared" for quite some time to really add much to the flavor. It's a nice marketing idea I'm sure :p

Just grabbed my two tins of CC '12 to hide away for a few years from smokingpipes. I was going to add a few tins of OGS while I was at it, but they're out of stock, which I found kinda strange.

Gonna hold off on the FM Cellar for now...before I make a mistake, though, I am correct that Cellar is a permanent addition to the McC Craftbury line, and not a special limited release, aren't I?