P-lip modification

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fazby

Reaction score
I really like Peterson pipes, but not all have fishtail bits available. An older pipe for which I had bought a fishtail stem finally got me to try modificiation. Since I had a bit, the p-lip was expendible....

I took a razor saw (one benefit of dabbling with model railroading) and trimmed the bit to a normal blunt end. Then I used a file to flatten the end as well as narrowing the button. A fair amount of filing was required to get to the point where the draw hole was lower in the end of the bit.

The result is not a work of art (my filework needs some improvement) but the pipe now has its original stem - the replacement had slightly different dimensions - and feels better in my mouth.

Has anyone else modified the bits?

Dang, I wish had tried this before. I passed up a heck of a deal for some pipes because they had p-lips. We grow too soon old and too late wise.

I have. I do not like the P-lips at all!

I just did it with a sharp pocketknife, file, and sandpaper. Works great but didn´t have the same aesthetic appeal. The trouble is the lower edge and the upper edge of the button aren´t aligned vertically on the P-lips.

For all my effort, the pipe ended up hitting the floor and the stem snapped a few months later. Now it´s off having a new fishtail stem made....

There was adutch fellow that used to have a clip on youtube showing how to do this. He heated the bit end with a heat gun and using a paper clip just pulled the air hole around. After it cooled he then sanded the mouthpiece down to look like a regular fishtail and polished it. From the clip it looked good, don't know what it was like in person.

"Fishtailing" a P-lip sounds like a no-brainer for people who don't like them, but doesn't improve the comfort/feel much. The reason is the how round the bite zone is in cross section. More like a rod than a blade. And they can't be thinned into a blade because or the upcurving airway near the button. Thin things enough to feel a significant difference, and you cut into the air channel.

LL":e27g271u said:
"Fishtailing" a P-lip sounds like a no-brainer for people who don't like them, but doesn't improve the comfort/feel much. The reason is the how round the bite zone is in cross section. More like a rod than a blade. And they can't be thinned into a blade because or the upcurving airway near the button. Thin things enough to feel a significant difference, and you cut into the air channel.
The one I was talking about happens to be in Hoth at this moment.... 8) 8)

I'm certain that the guys in the Peterson factory are cringing as they read these posts. I'm sure they are thinking "If it ain't broke what are you f...ing around with our trademark creation for?". Why not just order a replacement fishtail?

"Why not order a replacement fishtail?"

I like the pipe but if I have to add expense, I won't buy them. A little labor is fine, and I am not worried about showpiece quality. I think Petes smoke great.

I just wish all models came with fishtails.

At first I truly hated the p-lips but now I've come to really like them. I guess they're like warts...just sort of grow on some people while avoiding other like the plague.

I have to agree with you William. I didn't like the P-Lip at first but its grown on me. I still prefer the fishtail, but I won't go hacking my P-Lips off anytime soon.

At first sight I didn't like the P-Lip bits, I had avoided buying pipes which had them. After aquiring a few pipe with the P-Lips bits I have come to like them.

I only have 3 Petes, all bents a small 317, a XL 90 and St Patricks Day. The women prefers to smoke 317 she has claimed it as "her pipe" ( So I Guess I only have 2 )

Due to their shape they detour me from clenching the bit and encourage me to sip the pipe. The XL90 I use for VA's and the St Patricks for English blends, The P-Lip helps me focus on sipping.

The real delimma with converting a P-lip to a fishtail is the airway diameter at the bit. Peterson drills all the way through with the equivalent of something like an 1/8" bit with leaves you with a thick, chunky feeling bit, which is why I'm not a fan. The only way to have a comfortable and attractive modification is to heat and stretch the bit end of the stem to narrow the airway to closer to 1/16" then cut a slot and file a new button. There's plenty of stem material there to do it. The problem is that it's too much work and effort to do it and get good results.