PA original....?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3779

Reaction score
Every now and then I branch out from my usual smokes and try a bunch of new tobacco. I also grab one of the time tested drug store brands from time to time to see if I can appreciate what has kept them going for so long. This time around Prince Albert, original blend in the red pouch. I definitely get the nutty burley flavors as promised but in particular there is another flavor present, mostly as an aftertaste. Something almost chemically, not the same as, but reminiscent of the aftertaste I get from a diet soda. The initial flavor is not bad but after sampling 4-5 bowls this is not one that is going one my list to pick up again. I don't smoke em all the time, but for drug store brands CH, and H&H have been the 2 I enjoyed the most. I know there are a lot of PA smokers out there, is anyone else getting this strange taste from it?

Not I, though it's been a while since I've had any PA. The only aftertaste I remember would be something similar to that of a cigar, possibly, though nowhere near as intense.

I have been smoking it with a drink of water, or black coffee on the side as is my usual preference. So I don't think it is something coming from anywhere but the tobacco. Very strange...

Yes, I got that from PA...I believe, but ain't sure, that it is a coffee top note?

Description I read said , burley with light sweet cocoa flavor/aroma. Tried a bowl with some peach snapple iced tea when I stopped my ride on the M/C this afternoon. Definitely pairs better with the sweeter tasting beverage to me. I just got my order in from SP.com today and will probably throw this in the glove box for when I am out and about.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on one of those old tins of PA that was found stashed in a wall. That tobacco is nearly a hundred years old (tax stamp says 1918). The new stuff tastes nothing like the old. Even the cut is different. I know the tobacco in this old tin would probably have been better a hundred years ago but it's still good and tastes a lot like what I remember from my childhood when I stole some from my grandpa's pouch. Careful re-hydrating worked wonders but it was good bone dry and straight from the tin.

You can read a bit about it if you want too.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/finding-prince-albert-in-88-cans-is-no-pipe-dream-bg4dned-141329013.html

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/walledup-tins-of-tobacco-get-new-homes-cm4n6s5-144114295.html

I have heard a lot about how these brands have changed quite a bit over the years. Not too much with reference to PA. Figured I had to try it for myself.

I'm fond of PA and agree it has a slight cocoa or milk chocolate taste in the background while smoking. For me the aftertaste is burley, a light burley, I'd say. I buy PA by the tub rather than pouch, and whether that has anything to do with your diet soda aftertaste is more than I can say. FWIW, Granger is another "codger blend" that has a loyal following and gets some decent reviews. Cheap, too.

KevinM":1f03p1h4 said:
I'm fond of PA and agree it has a slight cocoa or milk chocolate taste in the background while smoking. For me the aftertaste is burley, a light burley, I'd say. I buy PA by the tub rather than pouch, and whether that has anything to do with your diet soda aftertaste is more than I can say. FWIW, Granger is another "codger blend" that has a loyal following and gets some decent reviews. Cheap, too.
There are a few I have yet to try, granger is on the list to get to eventually. I have tried PA in several pipes at this point, the objectionable aftertaste is less at this point. Maybe the pouch having beenn open for several days has had some effect.