pain in the ass lovat

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam a

Reaction score
i just finished up this lovat tonight... and thought i'd share a couple of pics. the stem really gave me hell... i almost thew the thing against the wall probably a dozen times. and in the end there certainly are plenty issues with the thing, but hell... its finally done, i made plenty of mistakes to learn from, and i can move on to the next.

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_0741.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

THAT'S one NICE Lovat !!! You got the proportions just RIGHT ! It's good to see someone taking the time and effort to do some Classic shapes !! And the piece of briar you picked with it's straight/flame grain helps alot!! Nice, nice pipe :p

It's a dainty little thing, no?
The grain is striking, but the stem does seem to flare out just a tad.
The stain looks very nice.

Harlock999":cw1p8rzg said:
It's a dainty little thing, no?
it's actually pretty large, weighing in at 5 7/8 inches in length, with a bowl height of 1 3/4 inches. my hands are big so it looks smaller in the pics.

I was thinking the same thing as Harlock--it was the grain that tipped me off that it's actually sized just right. That tight briar grain always seems to have the same kind of spacing in just the right ways, and what a flame grain it is!

I'm not much one for the long-shanked family of pipes, but I'd put that one in my collection. 8) The grain is really superb and there's a lot to look at.

8)

Very good job. The finish and grain are spectacular. The shank is just a hair wavy, but a lovat is one of the harder shapes to master. You certainly did a better job than I could. Keep up the good work.

wow. I really think you knocked it out of the park with that stick. I love that design. always have. I would love an XL louvat chimney

That's a real beaut. I envy your talents and that fine pipe too. It must be a truly special feeling to smoke a pipe you make.

Hey, man, that's a great lovat! It's really hard to get precise drilling with a shank that long. Good on ya! Only thing I see is that the top line of the shank seems to dip slightly in the middle. Otherwise, you carved yourself a winner!

Sweet looking craftsmanship on that briar. Congrats! :cheers:

I am a fan of the long shank pipes, and that is nice one. Good job. 8)

Nice job, Sam. Striking grain and great execution. If these nit-pickers hadn't chimed in, I never would've noticed the unique "character" of the shank. ;)

it is really a good job.. !!! now, lets get to the second one :p :p :p :p heheheheheheh

jefe1037":ksbwtupp said:
George Kaplan":ksbwtupp said:
Also: "Ass Lovat" sounds dirty. :oops:
You beat me to it; just got on for the first time in a couple days.... when i saw the topic, this is also where my brain went.
I'm only surprised Kyle didn't spot it first.

Some very good work. Love the grain and stain work.

If you hate it that much, let meknow. I will PM my address to you so I can smoke it! :lol: