Pairing Your Drink With your Tobacco...Recommendations

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotties22

Reaction score
I couldn't decide if this went in the Jar or Technique. I'll put it here and if it needs to be moved I will thank the Mods for doing so in advance.

As I can finally start venturing out into the great world of Pipe Tobacco I am curious how you pair your tobacco of choice with a drink. I do plan on trying things other than aros. I realized a few nights ago that my drink really does make a difference in how my tobacco tastes. I was smoking Milonga and drinking iced tea (unsweetened) at the time. It only took me a couple of sips of both to realize that they didn't go well together.

So, I'm wondering what you drink with which type (or specific brand) of tobacco. Keep in mind that I still can't drink, so adult beverage pairings won't do me any good at this point :cry:

Thanks boys.
Scottie

I've had very good luck pairing Earl Grey with Latakia blends and Coffee with Virginias/VaPers (For me, black coffee works best). On the occasions that I decide to smoke a sweet aromatic, I usually stick with ice water.

I like smoking Germains plumcake mixture in the morning with black coffee is my favorite, also the McClellands three cherry blend and the vanilla black cavendish has been decent with black coffee in the mornings, I tend to smoke more orientals and english blends in the evening usually with a Coke or some grape koolade, yeah thats right I spare no expense when it comes to beverages :pirat: 

Back in the day, Va. Flakes (BSVa10) & unsweetened iced tea were great together. But maybe that was an Alabama thing.

Now, black coffee & Va. Flakes are inseparable companions.

FWIW

:face:

Coffee is a big one for me, but I roast coffee commercially...

The thing to keep in mind with coffee is that different coffees taste differently. This morning I had a bowl of Three Nuns (the new one) with a Dry Process Ethiopian Sidamo coffee, and it was not the best pairing.

Pairing that tobacco with a nuttier coffee (Like a Brazilian or a Colombian) would have been a better option. The fruitiness of a Dry Process African coffee might pair better with a sweeter Aro.

I have noticed that EMP pairs well with a nutty, balanced coffee, instead of an acidic fruity one.

The other drink is bourbon, and it pairs with everything...brings out different flavors in different tobaccos.

I drink both coffee with creamer and hot green tea, no matter what I smoke. I do drink a variety of flavors of green tea, and will sometimes match a flavor with a tobacco. I've been alcohol free for close to 40 years.

As of late, I've had to rely on cold beverages as the weather makes a hot cup of coffee sound less than wonderful in the evenings. I've found VaPers (exhausted rooster as of late) and Martinelli's apple juice make for a pleasant experience.

Since I don't consume alchohol, ( medical reasons only) I usually have my favorite coffee, Chicory coffee N'awlins style, usually hot in the am and iced during the day. For me it goes well with the 'bacs that I smoke. :twisted:

Virgina's and Vapers, coffee and more coffee.

Frankly I've never been one to mix smoking with drinking anything. Always found the two pleasures mutually exclusive and wanted to focus on the one rather than the other.

JMHO

Cheers,

RR

Coffee & tea (both black) works well for me! I have begun even drinking decaf occasionally just to go with the late night smoke. +1 on the Earl Grey, though.

And ice/cold water on top of that, but I drink that near constantly regardless of smoke. (no fish emoticon, oh well!)

I've yet to try seltzer water, but I think most that drink it use it to cleanse the palate, not so much for the refreshment. I will try tonight, though....

I enjoy the alcoholic ones too, but I will not mention them here now. :twisted: 

Brewdude":bli61q6j said:
Frankly I've never been one to mix smoking with drinking anything. Always found the two pleasures mutually exclusive and wanted to focus on the one rather than the other.

JMHO

Cheers,

RR
Really? I mean I have gone without but, a good cup o Joe with a pipe of Escudo in the morn just doesn't get any better for me.
The last smoke of the day I'm drinking the cold cup of whats left from the morning coffee with my smoke.
The two mingling tastes together really does for me, all most better then that other thing I use do when I was younger. I think it started with an "S" LOL!

Cartaphilus":cf7jqa09 said:
Brewdude":cf7jqa09 said:

JMHO

Cheers,

RR
Really? I mean I have gone without but, a good cup o Joe with a pipe of Escudo in the morn just doesn't get any better for me.
The last smoke of the day I'm drinking the cold cup of whats left from the morning coffee with my smoke.
The two mingling tastes together really does for me, all most better then that other thing I use do when I was younger. I think it started with an "S" LOL!
Yup really.

What can I say other than it works for me.

:shrugemoticon:

Cheers,

RR

Black coffee and anything NOT carbonated. I'll leave my distilled spirits for another post since they are verboten in this one.

I was just thinking about this topic while in the yard last weekend, enjoying some mild Midwestern weather. What is it about our hobby that has us daydreaming about "the perfect smoke" over and over? Coffee is a gimme, certainly. No argument there. I had Blood Orange Italian Soda from Costco that was OK when smoking some virginias with it, so not sure how highly I'd recommend that. I haven't really tried any teas with bowls of tobacco, per se. Earl Grey is on my next shopping list if only to pair a bowl of something heavy with it.

Brewdude":xiap9u0d said:
Cartaphilus":xiap9u0d said:
Brewdude":xiap9u0d said:

JMHO

Cheers,

RR
Yup really.

What can I say other than it works for me.

:shrugemoticon:

Cheers,

RR
I'm like BD in that respect. When I'm drinking coffee, I drink coffee. Being a home roaster, I derive more pleasure from both practices when kept separate. Same goes with other beverage choices. For me, water on the side is the way to go, if anything.

Sir,

As I have only smoked my pipes while on deployment in Afghanistan I am not yet at liberty to discuss how I intend to pair my tobaccos with my beloved craft beers. But since you are not interested in that, I will share my two cents worth.

I prefer ice cold water with my pipes. It allows me to focus on the pipe smoking. My only exception is hot tea. I find the flavors can compliment eachother.

I have tried drinking a carbonated beverage a few times while smoking the pipe. Never again.

Sean

docwatson":8mowwrvt said:
Black coffee and anything NOT carbonated. I'll leave my distilled spirits for another post since they are verboten in this one.
I agree on the carbonated drinks, I've found out the first time I tried a soda with my pipe.
What a mistake that was, Immediate High Intensity Tongue Burn!
YMMV

And liquor, I don't know seeing I quit about 20 years ago.

Cartaphilus":ui8d6wd6 said:
docwatson":ui8d6wd6 said:
I agree on the carbonated drinks, I've found out the first time I tried a soda with my pipe.
What a mistake that was, Immediate High Intensity Tongue Burn!
Yep. There's always someone that suggests a Coke or other carbonated drink with a pipe...if it works for you, more power to you. For my part, I've tried it exactly once. I've never actually stuffed an active hornets next in my mouth, but I'd imagine that the two experiences would be awfully similar.