Pairings with food?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAL

Reaction score
Dear Siblings of the Briar,

(Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this topic, but it seems to fit more in "techniques" than anywhere else.)

In another post about non-alcoholic palate cleansers, the topic got me to thinking. Like many piper folk, I stick mostly to water. When it isn't plain old water, I tend towards unsweetened hot tea... And so on.  No doubt just a set of selections based on my own particular tastebuds and a couple of decades of pipe smoking.

But then I thought: I never pair any type of food with a pipe smoke. Never, ever. In fact, I can't even imagine it!

Is this just my own failure of imagination or do others share this bias. And, if you do occasionally pair munchies with a smoke, what in the world do you enjoy?

Yours, with great curiosity,
--DAL

I often associate food with a post-prandial cigar but not a pipe, for some reason. That's not to say I don't smoke a pipe after food--I do. I just don't associate the two; so pairings with pipe, no.

(I just read what I wrote above, and if you can make sense of it, you're a better man than I.)

<chuckle> Yep, makes sense to me. And I am much the same: I often have a pipe after dinner but it's the time of the day and not about flavors.

Although my other half did make me think of something I didn't think of until last night. I have, on occasion combined a little consumption of chocolate with a smoke. Not often, to be sure, but once in a blue moon. It was interesting.

Having not smoked while I ate, i never had thought about what tobacco would go with what food !! :twisted: :twisted:

The only thing I can think of that might work for me would be BBQ with a lat blend. Never tried it and probably never will to be honest. Just doesn't strike me as a good idea.

Jim

I must have my pipe after any meal but I don't think I'd like to smoke and eat at the same time but that's just me. However if there are others that like to smoke and eat more power to them. :)

AJ