Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, whatever. Here's the thing...I'm bored. I need a new gig to keep the juices flowing. It's Spring, right? It's TIME for it.

So here's what I'm thinking...PIRATE'S BOOTY! You share your booty (ahem) and then we'll divy it up with the crew...you included.

Here's how it might work:

1. You pick ten (or whatever we agree on) items from your Pirate Stash of rare and wonderful pipe stuff and send 'em to me in a USPS medium flat rate box with a check or MO to cover return postage, and an address label for it to come back to you.
2. The ten items should include one pipe, five units of tobacco (a unit = one tin or 2 oz. bulk) and four items of your own choosing. Who sent in what will be kept strictly confidential.
3. Once all players have submitted their booty, photos will be taken and posted here. Then an orderly (well, somewhat orderly) distribution will begin, orchestrated by yours truly.
4. Names will be randomly assigned an order and you and your fellow Pirates will pick items in that order. All items will be available for choosing during each round. Once chosen, the item will go into that person's box, safe from the lust of other Pirates.
5. The "Choosing of Booty" will occur in a series of ten rounds, the picking order reassigned according to random draw, renewed with each round...so everyone has an equal chance of being number one or two, etc. each time.
6. Once booty choosing is done the boxes will be padded, sealed, labeled and sent on off to their owners.

At this point this is just a potential concept. I'm open as to suggestions from any and all to make it more fun and interesting. Will you suggestion be adopted? Maybe. Will this thing actually happen? Maybe.

My first question is...how many participants do you think are needed to make it the most fun while keeping it manageable? Other than that...would you want to sign up if it IS done?

Arrrrrr ya ready to be a Pirate???

Ten items! :affraid: This is for the wealthy right?  :lol!: 

Hey, don't be aiming that squirrel gun at me! lol

My response could go in any of three or four directions:

1. It sounds like you think it would be better if fewer items were involved. What? No pipe? Less tobacco? Fewer 'other' items?

2. Yes...this is only for rich people.

3. Ten items = rich? Whew! Even my Cousin in Dogpatch has THAT much stuff!

4. Not EVERY activity has to be designed so that every kid in class can take part. This is Graduate Skool...not Kindergarten.

5. Scratch this one, I said three or four.

Well, I'll take it as number 2.
Pipes I got more then ten of that's no secret I don't think and 5 tins or ounces of tobacco I surely do but, if you figure $10 a tin times 5 and one pipe at let say $65 or more is a bit much for a lot of us. I don't mind not being able to join the swap, I just had to poke you in ribs a little is all. Monday dull drums shall we say.

I do have pipes, but none that I would part with because I have very few. I am poor!

OK gents (and never having crossed LT's path before...pleased to make your acquaintance) so I get your gist here. If there were no pipe and less tobacco involved more folks could join in. Point noted.

Anyone else?

I would be in.

What about a pipe OR 5 tins of tobacco OR $50 worth of other stuff or set a minimum value on the box as a whole and it doesn't matter what is in it (24oz of Esoterica would be about $100, or one decent Savinelli/Stanwell/etc.)

Just a thought.

PS - cause you do the picking in rounds...and if one guy's box had one $50 item and others had five $10 items...pretty soon there would be too few items for each person to have something to pick.

Blackhorse":l2gikvp5 said:
PS - cause you do the picking in rounds...and if one guy's box had one $50 item and others had five $10 items...pretty soon there would be too few items for each person to have something to pick.
Oh I see...I misunderstood that part...nevermind me, carry on. :p

Sounds like fun.

If I understand right the boxes include:
- a pipe
- 5 tins (50g or 2oz)
- 4 tems (pipes sock, bundle of cleaners, tampers, empty lighters, bulks, etc)

Would the 5 items be limited to pipe stuffs as you imagine it BH?

I imagine it could include coffee, handcrafted items, a grain fermentation sample, etc...)

(PS: I am not rich, but I have a cellar and a pipe collection. If you have just started in this hobby, it ain't going to work for you unless you make it work.)

How about:

a pipe
5 tins
5 items
1 6-pack or poney keg of microbrew

I like that.

:lol: 

The original message said 1 pipe, five tin equivalents and four other items...total of ten draws. The keg could be one of the extra items I guess, but it would need to fit in the medium flat rate box. lol Maybe a little keg?

The only thing I gotta check out is drawing the names randomly prior to each round. Drawing the name for a random order is kind of in the likeness of a 'raffle'...and raffles are disallowed on this site. I'll check with my fellow wizards and get back with a judgement.

Sounds like a few takers thus far. I'm thinking ten max to keep the whole thing workable. But we'll see.

I think this sounds like fun, and I'd definitely be able to take part. Nothing much else to add, since the broad strokes seem fair and feasible. If this plan gets out of dry dock I'll be savoring it to the last morsel...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vzbdHIfkb6w" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well, I got a reply that opined the design of this thing would be OK. So, unless I hear otherwise I'll call it cool.

I'll start a list of ten or maybe a few more and we can go from there. If I missed your comment intending to join the fun, just remind me. Since names will me public I won't go the PM route for signing up.

So far there's:

1. Blackhorse
2. Gravel
3. GrampaGrossbart
4. Spud15
5. PozzSka
6. Fatman
7. Growley
8. d4klutz

Final rules will be posted in a new thread along with the name list and a target date. I'm thinking of having your boxes to me at the end of the month, so there should be plenty of time on your end to get it together.

I'll post a link to the new thread here too & once posted that thread will be the official site.

And folks...READ EVERYTHING CAREFULLY!!!

This DOES sound like your kinda thing, John.

And jus' you wait til we get into the pickin' n grinin' part! Man...there's gonna be some big time whoopin' and shoutin' and finger pointin' - it's gonna be glorious. GLORIOUS!!!

Here's how I understand it: (without being too nit picky about prices of everything) you're basically getting back what you're giving out...but you're getting different stuff. I know someone might give out a decent pipe and get back a basket pipe, or give out some stonehaven and get back some drug store cherry. But I think most here would play nice, and all in all it would turn out pretty even.

Unless I'm missing something, I'm in as is. I like the idea.

Bring on the BOOTY...Arrrr  :pirate: