passing a nicotine test to get a job?!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U-235

Reaction score
Hello,
Has anyone been "drug-tested" for nicotine. I just interviewed for a job as a research director for a local hospital in the Detroit area. I can't believe that my employment was declined because I could not pass a nicotine test! I can understand banning smoking on the hospital campus, but denying a smoker a job opportunity is absolutely absurd. Well, maybe not absolutely. I can understand that health insurance rates are higher for smokers. I would be willing to pay the difference in insurance costs. I will not stop smoking my pipe. So I will look elsewhere for employment. Is nicotine testing starting to become a standard in screening potential employees?

I would really like to know what the reason is for declining you. In what way could the nicotine in your bloodstream effect the work you were going to do?

Do you know of a way to find out more about this and let us know?

This is becoming more and more common in hospital and health care hiring.

don't bother coming down to any of the Columbus Hospitals..  I got out 4 years ago just as they were switching from making you pay extra for health insurance to giving everyone I think it was 3 years to pass a drug test or you were gone.

U-235":55ni4nro said:
Hello,
Has anyone been "drug-tested" for nicotine.  I just interviewed for a job as a research director for a local hospital in the Detroit area.  I can't believe that my employment was declined because I could not pass a nicotine test!  I can understand banning smoking on the hospital campus, but denying a smoker a job opportunity is absolutely absurd.  Well, maybe not absolutely.  I can understand that health insurance rates are higher for smokers.  I would be willing to pay the difference in insurance costs.  I will not stop smoking my pipe.  So I will look elsewhere for employment.  Is nicotine testing starting to become a standard in screening potential employees?
SMOKING, of any kind, is considered a socially aberant behavior in today's society regardless of HOW you smoke. We may not like it, but that's how it is in the 21st century. The healthcare industry is taking a no exceptions attitude due to many reasons which they really don't care if smokers like. "Fraid you'll need to change the industry you have been working in or stop smoking. You may not agree with it, but that's the way it is in today's world.  :twisted: :twisted: 

monbla256 wrote:

"SMOKING, of any kind, is considered a socially aberant behavior in today's society regardless of HOW you smoke. We may not like it, but that's how it is in the 21st century."

You definitely hit the nail on the head. There is definitely a stigma associated with smoking nowadays. I find it strange since the generation before me smoked incessantly. When I was a youngster, my pediatrician use to smoke cigars while seeing patients at his office. I use to be very self-conscious smoking in public, but now I don't care. But I do make an effort not to smoke (cigarettes) in front of my little nieces and nephews. Smoking cigarettes is a curse that I don't want the little ones to see.

This raising mixed feelings with me. As a private business I think the leadership has the right to demand such requisites regardless of justification, however it REALLY pisses me off!

Utter nonsense!   You my friend are a civic hero. Why just look at how much tobacco you have destroyed and thereby prevented it from falling into the hands of children.   If it tweren't for men like you, selflessly endangering your health, nay your very life in pursuit of ridding the world of this vile menace where would we be?   I applaud that you are a man of action, unlike those people that just lobby for laws and run ads you are stepping out to save the next generation!!  Bravo good sir, bravo! Finally a man that pays more than lip service in the quest to prevent the children from becoming enslaved.

I have heard Alabama Power requires all employees to be nicotine free. I think it is a rule for all of Southern Company which is the parent company for the southeast electric utilities.

As time passes, more government laws and industry restrictions are imposed against tobacco and its use. What will it be for us in ten years from now? In Michigan it is illegal to purchase cigarettes online. What would happen if it becomes illegal to purchase any tobacco product online? I would be totally screwed as online stores are my only source of pipe tobacco. Whatever happened to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

U-235":1bynw4k9 said:
As time passes, more government laws and industry restrictions are imposed against tobacco and its use.  What will it be for us in ten years from now?  In Michigan it is illegal to purchase cigarettes online.  What would happen if it becomes illegal to purchase any tobacco product online?  I would be totally screwed as online stores are my only source of pipe tobacco.  Whatever happened to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?
And that is why you develop a deep cellar....NOW.

Time to go the way of alcoholics . Nicotine addiction is a disease and denying me a job for it is discrimination! Don't think it would fly in court but hey it's worth a try.

SpeedyPete":id6gwcfy said:
How long does it take to "clean" one's blood of nicotine?
Wouldn't matter if they do a hair follicle test, and I imagine that's what they do to avoid
getting a false reading from a blood test.

i.keenum":dmpi7cx6 said:
Time to go the way of alcoholics . Nicotine addiction is a disease and denying me a job for it is discrimination!     Don't think it would fly in court but hey it's worth a try.
Won't work. The Supreme Court has upheld the practice as OK. Welcome to the 21st century  :twisted: :twisted: