Patton Blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cigarstorejay

Reaction score
So I recently purchased two different J Patton blends. Virginia Squire and Storm Front. One of the descriptions of the tobacco was that it could be a little dry and I agree with this. Not too dry, just drier than I'm used to. I must say that I enjoyed both blends. Storm Front in particular. They are both smooth and tasty. I am glad to have been turned on to such reasonably priced blends that are also good smokes. They burned well also.

If you are a fan of Va's I recommend both blends. Quite good tobacco.

Jay

cigarstorejay":s43ja6tr said:
I must say that I enjoyed both blends. Storm Front in particular.

If you are a fan of Va's I recommend both blends.

Isn't Storm Front burley and cigar leaf?,,,anyway I've heard nothing but praise for it so I'd better put it on my "list",,,

mark":r8fbw3se said:
cigarstorejay":r8fbw3se said:
I must say that I enjoyed both blends. Storm Front in particular.

If you are a fan of Va's I recommend both blends.

Isn't Storm Front burley and cigar leaf?,,,anyway I've heard nothing but praise for it so I'd better put it on my "list",,,
Yes it is, but it had the feel of a nice full body Va. to me. I compare it to what I am most familiar with. Maybe its the cigar leaf is what reminds me of the Va? the smoke was strong and full.

Glad to hear you enjoyed those blends. And yes, Storm Front is just Burley and Cigar leaf. Virginia Squire, BTW, is four different Virginias with an accent of White Burley.

tiltjlp":ljyhjxc3 said:
Glad to hear you enjoyed those blends. And yes, Storm Front is just Burley and Cigar leaf. Virginia Squire, BTW, is four different Virginias with an accent of White Burley.
Hi John. This is my first pipe tobacco with a blend of cigar leaf. What does that add to the tobacco? Flavor wise that is? Also, what does the White burley bring to the Va Squire? I have smoked many cigars over the years. I am fairly familiar with the different types of Cigar leaf and various blends of cigars themselves. I am just curious how/ what kind of leaf blends with the burley.

Thanks for the response.

Jay

I have tried only Cool Hand Fluke and Storm Front. CHF is alright if you looking for something interesting with perique. It pails in comparison (for me) to Storm Front. Storm Front is an exceptional blend. It tastes beyond magnificant and smokes like a dream. I am absolutely smitten with it. It is a perfect all day smoke, as it is mild in strength. I have it in mind to try SF in a cob, like some of the brothers have suggested. Any thoughts on a burley blend in a cob?

derlict311":rlrve5i3 said:
Any thoughts on a burley blend in a cob?
Nothing could be finer, in my humble palate. Burley-forward blends just really agree with the cob.

Just finished a bag of the Virginia Squire. I agree, a bit drier than I'm used to and if you are puffing quickly it can burn pretty hot. I like it as an every day smoke and for the price point, but I dont think I will buy it again. Good value for a VA smoker, I just like better for everyday at the same price point the Louisiana Red from hearth and home.

Doc Manhattan":re4lqf28 said:
derlict311":re4lqf28 said:
Any thoughts on a burley blend in a cob?
Nothing could be finer, in my humble palate. Burley-forward blends just really agree with the cob.
I have always enjoyed burley blends. I used to work at a Tinderbox and they have a blend with burley in it that was good and a light smoke as well. I haven't had a corn cob in a while though. I used to enjoy them but I am a quick smoker/ puffer. Not sure how the corn cob would hold up for me.

cigarstorejay":g9kj1twg said:
tiltjlp":g9kj1twg said:
Hi John. This is my first pipe tobacco with a blend of cigar leaf. What does that add to the tobacco? Flavor wise that is? Also, what does the White burley bring to the Va Squire? I have smoked many cigars over the years. I am fairly familiar with the different types of Cigar leaf and various blends of cigars themselves. I am just curious how/ what kind of leaf blends with the burley.

Thanks for the response.

Jay
The Cigar Leaf in Storm Front is roughly 15%, so it doesn't always come through as a separate flavor. I find that it helps add a meatiness which balances nicely with the natural nuttiness of the Burleys. As for Virginia Squire, the White Burley adds a mellow sweet nuttiness to the four Virginia tobaccos, which alone could become a bit harsh. And yes, cobs somehow soften Burley blends, and helps smooth them.

I am gonna throw my $.02 in and say that anyone who likes cigar leaf in their tobacco should give Peretti's Cuban Mixture a whirl. Mild smoking, but in this case that doesn't mean boring. A great burley blend with a whole lot of other stuff in it.

I also enjoy Key Largo quite a bit, but it seems finicky. Sometimes I finish a bowl feeling that it's flat and one dimensional, and other times it seems a lot more complex. Probably fussy about pipes and technique that one.

I second the recommendation for Cuban Mix. It is my second favorite cigar leaf blend behind the dearly departed Dunhill Mr. Alfred's Own. Haven't tried Stormfront yet, it sounds promising.

cakeanddottle":iktlqpjs said:
I am gonna throw my $.02 in and say that anyone who likes cigar leaf in their tobacco should give Peretti's Cuban Mixture a whirl. Mild smoking, but in this case that doesn't mean boring. A great burley blend with a whole lot of other stuff in it.

I also enjoy Key Largo quite a bit, but it seems finicky. Sometimes I finish a bowl feeling that it's flat and one dimensional, and other times it seems a lot more complex. Probably fussy about pipes and technique that one.

Ordered 8 oz. of Storm Front couple days ago. Looking forward to enjoying it in my new cobs!

Big SF fan here. Blackhorse put me on to it, as well as a couple other Patton blends like Gold Nugget (Burley and Deer's Tongue) which I find an ideal first pipe of the day on the weekend with coffee. Also Cool Hand Fluke, which is figuring large in the rotation. Got my eye on a few other Patton blends as well for my next order.

Also enjoy the Peretti Cuban mixture. I find this quite mild compared to the Patton though, not that it's a bad thing mind.

In fact I think I'll fire up a bowl of SF next!

Cheers,

RR

:D

Enjoying Storm Front in a cob as I write this (several bowls into it). It adds a new dimension to the flavor profile. It's like the cob and burley are cousins, or something. They compliment each other nicely. What else is good in a cob? :afro: