Pear Root and Clay

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JM

Reaction score
I broke the stem on my pipe the other day and I'm down to a cob. I've been eying the pipes by Mr. Brog made of pear root and thinking about a clay.

Any thoughts on either of these pipes?

While I like my tavern clay as a change of pace, I don't think I'd want to rely on it as my primary pipe. Of course, you might easily find one you like as an everyday smoke

I read someplace that Mr. Brog pear pipes are a good, cheap alternative that isn't cob, and isn't briar. Apparently you can't smoke them super hot or they'll burn out pretty grimly... this is hearsay. I figure since an okay briar, even estate is about that price if not just a tad more...go with a briar...? *shrug* That's just me.

My neighbor smokes a clay, and he's sick of burning his hand on it. :lol: Bitches about it every time.

Not all clays are created equal. I use Lepeltiers (classic bent and burley models) and have found them to be a very satisfactory pipe. They have a double wall construction, controlling the heat issues associated with a traditional clay. They are glazed and fitted with an acrylic stem; easy to maintain. Smoking characteristics similar to a meerschaum, but to me far less fragile and finger oils on the bowl are not an issue. Also, they sit very well,. For the money, they're worth a look if clays interest you.

Lesath":n7riwenq said:
Not all clays are created equal. I use Lepeltiers (classic bent and burley models) and have found them to be a very satisfactory pipe. They have a double wall construction. . . .
Glad to know this type of pipe is still around (figured they were, but haven't run across any). Thanks for mentioning a manufacturer name!

Yes, she's still making them and they are available at www.lepeltier-pipes.com/. A while back I tried to persuade her into making a churchwarden, but she just thought there would be some aesthetic issues, mostly related to weight. If the item is in stock, the turnaround is fast. If not, or you request something unique, I think she has a monthly firing schedule that can put you out for a few weeks on delivery. I once had her do an owl that she did not stock, and that was the drill.

Lesath":n9qcbzpl said:
Yes, she's still making them and they are available at www.lepeltier-pipes.com/. A while back I tried to persuade her into making a churchwarden, but she just thought there would be some aesthetic issues, mostly related to weight. If the item is in stock, the turnaround is fast. If not, or you request something unique, I think she has a monthly firing schedule that can put you out for a few weeks on delivery. I once had her do an owl that she did not stock, and that was the drill.
Ordered the dark blue burley http://www.lepeltier-pipes.com/burley.htm just to see if I like them. Maybe the maker should arrange a commission for you! :) Thanks for the link/recommendation in any case

I hope you like it. Be sure to share your observations so we can compare. I particularly like how well you can clean one of them up if you smoke something that doesn't agree with you. Two quirks with them. The vent is in the bottom center of the bowl, so if you are loading something that has a lot of fines in it, put a toothpick in the vent while you load. The other quirk hasn't been an issue for me, but one of my boys goofed. If you break the pipe apart to clean, the cork joint can be damaged by carelessness. I have extra joints (cork ones mind you!), but have never had to replace one. Sadly, no commissions for me, but that does remind me that I need to place an order, Christmas is on the way.

Lesath":9umjaere said:
If you break the pipe apart to clean, the cork joint can be damaged by carelessness. I have extra joints (cork ones mind you!), but have never had to replace one.
I had wondered about the cork joint, esp when cleaning but was overtaken by PAD. I didn't notice if she sold replacements. . . . In any case, it should be a fun experiment!

Yeah, I had no idea there were double-walled pipes around. I apparently didn't find any in my searches...

I was rather taken with the Locomotive... http://www.lepeltier-pipes.com/locomotive.htm

I think the original poster was looking for something VERY cheap if Brog pear pipes were being considered, though...very cheap clay is what my neighbor smokes (and curses). :lol:

How are these glazed clays from Lepeltier cleaned? I think I remember reading you can remove the stem and boil them. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Kyle Weiss":yplxzl3w said:
How are these glazed clays from Lepeltier cleaned? I think I remember reading you can remove the stem and boil them. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Warm to hot water works well, without the stem, then let it dry overnight. They don't ghost like a briar, but if you are concerned, you always can bathe them. I don't wash them all the time, but they do lend themselves well to cleaning. After it's been a while and you see how yucky the rinse can be, it can make you wonder just what saturates the pores of a briar. I'm not sure exactly what the results would be from an enthusiastic boiling, but I think I'd avoid it. :no:

The cork joints are available under the accessories tab under the styles tab. They run six for $6.

Lesath":j5ersn9c said:
Warm to hot water works well, without the stem, then let it dry overnight. They don't ghost like a briar, but if you are concerned, you always can bathe them. I don't wash them all the time, but they do lend themselves well to cleaning. After it's been a while and you see how yucky the rinse can be, it can make you wonder just what saturates the pores of a briar. I'm not sure exactly what the results would be from an enthusiastic boiling, but I think I'd avoid it. :no:

The cork joints are available under the accessories tab under the styles tab. They run six for $6.
I promise if I boil them I will be very mundane and somber, no punk rock and no hollering. :lol:

Sorry, I just got a picture in my head for "enthusiastic boiling..." seemed like a good time as I pictured it, though!

Actually, that's a good tip. I mean, pipes are already a chore to enjoy, one that I don't mind, so minimizing the suggested steps are okay provided they are advisable. Thanks!

I'd love to get a pipe of each type so I can adequately judge them against each other, material to material, and see how they fit. I just dug that train pipe, and the burley. Great, great stuff!

I have one of those cheap, standard pipes, albeit a very old one. I was, as far as I can tell, unused. I know about the fragility - don't try tapping out the bowl at the end of a smoke! - and the heat concern, but I have no problem with this pipe and am looking into a better affair. I appreciate the Lepeltier link, which I've glanced at in the past. I am considering a Gouda Goedewaagen, or something of that quality. I do recommend a clay for a number of reasons, but primarily for the reason of tasting various blends before committing a briar, or some other wooden pipe to said blend. Having made that all too common point, I enjoy it as much as my MM cob, or any of my briars. You should be able to find a number of clays that are quite inexpensive and I'm happy to find some links, or simply search ebay, etsy, ruth lane and other similar sites. I realize that this thread opened about a year ago, but in case anyone else is looking into clays and doesn't mind spending a "whopping" $10-$20 dollars, having located one in good condition, it's doubtful that you will regret buying one.

JM,

Down to one pipe, that's just not right. PM me your address and I'll send you one my of personal pipes. It's only been smoked probably 3-4 times, so there's a lot of life left in her.

Brian.