Pear wood vs briar?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroContent

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with pear wood pipes? How do they compare to a briar?

Just my opinion but it's like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Yugo with the Yogo representing the pear wood. :evil: :evil: Had one given to me a few years back and I hated it so much I wouldn't even pass it on to someone I didn't like. It imparted a foul taste to the tobacco and went into the trash with no regrets. If you want a pipe made from something other than briar that's cheap go with a MM cob. :)

AJ

If you mean a tree that bears pears, then sure you can make a pipe with it. It's not as hard as briar, probably closer to apple in Janka rating. I just prune my pear trees, so I haven't had any pieces big enough to make bowls with. I have an apple pipe that during break in gave a hint of tart sweetness to the smoke the first ten or so smokes. I would imagine pear would be similar, but I may be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.....

I have a Mr. Brog pear wood pipe that smokes very well and is incredibly light for its size (and was dirt cheap). The stem's cheap plastic, but if I ever get around to having a decent one made, I'll smoke it a lot more often.

I've had no issues at all with my pear wood. It smokes just fine. It does give a different flavor but is not objectionable in anyway. Sounds like AJ got a bum deal on his though. Oh and I'll second the sentiment on getting a better stem made for it if you get one. It'll make it much more enjoyable.

Jim

huffelpuff":7qwcexs4 said:
I've had no issues at all with my pear wood.  It smokes just fine. It does give a different flavor but is not objectionable in anyway. Sounds like AJ got a bum deal on his though. Oh and I'll second the sentiment on getting a better stem made for it if you get one. It'll make it much more enjoyable.

Jim
It's very possible that the one I had may have been a fluke but I won't take any more chances even though many others seem to like them. I guess I may be somewhat of a briar snob. I don't like meers, bog oak, and rarely smoke my cobs. Nothing wrong with the cobs I just prefer a pipe made of briar especially if it was made from briar that was 75 to 100+ years old. There's just something about the old briar that I like. I admit it may all be in my mind but whatever the reason I'm going to stick with pipes made of briar. :)

AJ

AJ, don't feel like you need to offer an explanation or any kind of apology. You like what you like. I would be sceptical too if I'd gotten one that tasted bad. I myself much prefer my briars as well. They just add a certain something that the others just don't have. Some days I'm ok with that and other days I'm much less ok with it.

Jim