Pease "Cumberland" Review

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

A few times every month my palate fully opens to Cumberland. I’ve always loved it but of late am tasting that which makes me love it more.

The initial taste is of a tobacco goodness signifying quality and balance. The tobacco as tobacco tastes fuller and better. Pease states that red VA is the base along with some flue-cured stoved and mature VA, that dark-fired is the calling card with a hint of perique.

I find all of this true, that the base is solid, but just how the matured VA is additive is inference, from a memory that judged the VAs in Escudo as mature from their fullness. The dark-fired is distinctive but nowhere nearly as strong compared to other blends such as “Old Dark-Fired” or the Malawi burley in “Dark Flake.” I do believe I taste smokiness. Finally there is just enough perique to put the blend in motion.

Some tobaccos, making the most of their interplay, present as lushly balanced. “Cumberland” is such a tobacco.

Fantastic!! A fellow Cumberland lover!!

Smokiness indeed!! In the way a wine might have it, or a scotch might, to my mind. It's so subtle it's almost more noticeable. It's always reminded me of a watered down Peaty Islay Scotch. Those flavors are there, but in a VERY "drinkable" expression.

Sometimes I think I'm the only person who loves this one! Some say it's too strong. I've never thought so...

How do you like Cumberland vs Jackknife?

Definitely a blend that doesn't get the attention it deserves. I smoked a lot of Cumberland last year, and it's all about subtleties even though it's quite rich. I still have a few tins stashed away although I have to say that when it comes to a VA/KY combo, my heart and wallet belong to another. Still I too admire the balance of this blend.

Great review Mike, I love this blend, I had a sample of it a while back now but I remember I liked it so much I was hopping mad we don't get it in the UK, good to see others love it as much as I did.

Thanks for the replies:).

I haven't smoked JackKnife yet. I counted the number of tins I have open today: 30. It's supposed to be no more than 12, but who's worrying. I've opened Irish Flake, Kendal KY and Westminster in the last week. But I still don't know as I should open JNP, Navigator or Silver Flake first; the tin of Cumberland is almost gone. I need another VA/KY.
D&B's heart is sold to Silver Flake, and as I trust his palate, I may go that way. Decisions, decisions. . .I love them all!

4noggins.com_Mike":bd513n7p said:
Thanks for the replies:).

I haven't smoked JackKnife yet. I counted the number of tins I have open today: 30. It's supposed to be no more than 12, but who's worrying. I've opened Irish Flake, Kendal KY and Westminster in the last week. But I still don't know as I should open JNP, Navigator or Silver Flake first; the tin of Cumberland is almost gone. I need another VA/KY.
D&B's heart is sold to Silver Flake, and as I trust his palate, I may go that way. Decisions, decisions. . .I love them all!
silver flake doesn't sing to me like cumberland does. lately i've been blending kendall kentucky with medium virginia flake. great mixture! eyeball about half and half, set in a jar for a few days.

I have a couple of tins of cumberland in the cellar from June of this year. This has been a blend I have wanted to try for a while, but also wanted to let it get some age.

From you fine gentlemen who have experience with this blend, to age... or not to age?

Northern Neil":0d15h4r6 said:
I have a couple of tins of cumberland in the cellar from June of this year.  This has been a blend I have wanted to try for a while, but also wanted to let it get some age.

From you fine gentlemen who have experience with this blend, to age... or not to age?
i've only had it with 5+ years on it. it's divine. i'm going to be purchasing mroe to keep in stock

4noggins.com_Mike":ewizrbnw said:
I counted the number of tins I have open today: 30. It's supposed to be no more than 12, but who's worrying.
I read this and started counting. You have me whipped on the number of tins open. I am at 7. I do have two 8 oz cans of Old Companion open - one at home and one at the office. That boosts my number, but still... 30 is a lot of tins...

Having said this, I don't need to start counting samples brothers have sent. I suppose they are open tins too.

I am smoking some MacB's Navy Flake right now and actually think it is pretty good in its own way. I know it does not get much love, but it is working for me tonight.

Northern Neil":awdt3ybu said:
I have a couple of tins of cumberland in the cellar from June of this year.  This has been a blend I have wanted to try for a while, but also wanted to let it get some age.

NN

All I can say is that Cumberland is great with some age on it. So smoke some fresh, and put some away for a while.

Dunno if I'm a fine gentleman tho!

:lol: 

Cheers,

RR

The pound of Kendal KY that I have burns very quickly, much quicker than I remember, but I haven't smoked it for about 5 years. Very tasty and very strong. It burned so quickly in a cob that I got gobs of smoke effortlessly. Might have to get a big pipe.

Cumberland ages well. I smoked it at ~5 years.

I used to smoke Navy Flake regularly but in the end found it bland.

Samples don't count as open tins in my book.

4noggins.com_Mike":11el7lcm said:
Cumberland ages well.
I agree. Cumberland is one of a handful of blends that I have been lucky enough to be able to cross compare various tinnings of. I have a tin from 2002 that I am still smoking through that is really good. I also had a very generous sample from 2003 that I quickly smoked through and it was Re-God-Damned-Diculous how good it was. Easily twice as good as the 2002 tin. I smoked a tin from 2008 that was also very good but as expected a bit more rugged than the earlier stuff. If anything expect a more balanced smoother smoke from the aged stuff. Why the 2003 was so freaking awesome I have no idea.

Well, I think I'm going to let my tins get a little more age to them before I crack into them. But I have to say, I'll be looking foward to the day I pop that top :)

I was introduced to Cumberland through Mike's blow-out sale. Had the great fortune to hook up with some aged weed ('04), and have to say it's fine in all ways. Smoked through most of it pretty quickly.

Now have to work on replacing it with new stock and then ageing it myself.

:pig: 

Cheers,

RR

Thought I'd chime in on this old thread - I hadn't seen much mention of this blend. I think it's awesome - a real heavyweight, smoky, complex, strong, and is a great evening smoke especially with a good scotch in hand - or even coffee after dinner. I had a tin of this about three years old which I recently opened and am enjoying more and more with each pipeful. It's got a nice nicotine kick along with a real tobacco taste - - - -it's growing on me.

I have one tin here that I was eyeing the other day. I even took it out and set it on my desk to contemplate. I do have fond memories of it from when I last smoked it-- maybe four or five years back(?). Maybe I'll give it another go. :scratch:

It's really an awesome tobacco - and seems to 'fly under the radar'......I have too many tins open right now....

I've long since exhausted my vintage stock of this from Mike's sell-off, which was my introduction to this fine blend. Guess I need to revisit.

Cheers,

RR

I often wonder where Mike went. He was always very generous to me. I purchased a few items in his sell-off as well and he sent me a second package loaded with fine tobaccos, Silver Flake, 1792, Haddo's and Cumberland. Hope he's doing well.