Pembroke

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumsAndBeer

Reaction score
Excellent stuff. Here's my review.. :D Thanks to Fatman for the "FAT" sample...

Pembroke

Altogether I am not entirely convinced that this Esoterica offering is actually just Margate with a topping. Okay, the topping is there but it’s strange to think that a mixture like Margate could be softened this much by a simple additive. I do often wonder if some VA has been snuck in for added sweetness. Nonetheless, the shag cut commonality is there and as far as color goes, the two mixtures do look practically identical. Moreover, Pembroke does have Margate’s unique alluring evergreen fragrance & incense-like quality.

In contrast, Margate is bolder tasting and speaks with more bravado, where Pembroke is sweeter, more delicate, and more soft- spoken throughout the bowl. Pembroke is fairly moist out of the tin yet still burns steady with minimal relights. It stays cool although it does get a bit warmer than Margate. With the addition of the topping, moisture problems do arise around the mid-bowl point but I typically only have to run a pipe cleaner down the stem one time per bowl and the problem is circumvented. Alternatively you could also choose to dry this tobacco a bit, but I prefer not to.

While smoother, sweeter and softer than Margate, Pembroke still has a delightful upfront spiciness, and the wonderful pungent aroma inherent to Germain’s Latakia leaf. The cognac flavoring is palpable but mostly on exhale. It does add a round fruity sweetness that helps to create a smooth, silken pipe smoke. Nasal exhales are pure pleasure while smoky flavors pop and scintillate on the palate. Like Margate, Pembroke is a beautiful tobacco for pipers seeking a compound olfactory experience. And if you enjoy Orientals and Latakia but like a sweeter overall tone, this is as good as it gets.

I've got a sealed tin of this that was gifted to me. I've been saving it but after reading your review, it could be time to pop the top. Thanks for the review!

Cheers!

HamishMcDowell":w9crobo7 said:
I've got a sealed tin of this that was gifted to me. I've been saving it but after reading your review, it could be time to pop the top. Thanks for the review!

Cheers!
Hopefully you enjoy it as much as I do. There's something about Margate & Pembroke for me that's pure pipe magic.

PS - I recommend smoking this blend (as well as Margate) in a pot or prince. Or anything with a wider, shallower bowl profile.