Pencils, anyone?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Burley

Reaction score
I've tried every logical argument I can to convince myself that I should be writing with a fountain pen, or at least a good quality mechanical pencil, but I much prefer a plain old No. 2 wooden pencil. It must be a "feel" thing, or maybe some perverse nostalgia for my elementary school years or something. (Yes, I use ball points for crap work.)

But that's not my point. (Har! Har!) Does anyone reading this happen to have a favorite pencil sharpener, currently available, preferably non-electric? I lost my classroom type crank job in a recent move. It worked OK, but I can't remember its brand name. And there must be better ones anyhow. Currently using a plastic ultra-cheapo that breaks the lead off as often as not.

It was originally Palamino Blackwing or nothing, then they went to Japan.
I then used Ticonderoga the Black ones because once you go black you never go back! :D but then they went to Mexico.

Now mind you, a pencil should be black. It just should... but it should also be American made. So, drum roll, $3.50 per 20-30-40 (ever how many is in that giant box) Yellow USA Gold.

I won't pay extra for a Japanese pencil, I won't pay extra for a Mexican pencil. I adore the Japanese people, and I've worked with a lot of Mexican citizens that somehow landed north of the border, never once had a problem with either....but... Buy American For Americans. The unemployed do not contribute to the economy.

Pencil sharpener? A cheap silver, 'stick it in and twist' deal that came with a bunch of made in France pencils I bought. Lol

We had a Boston Sharpener like this one for years. It was the same sharpener I used throughout my school years. It finally wore out about 5 years ago after providing 55 years of service. Now I have one just like the one in the picture and by the same manufacturer. :)

AJ

I liked the old Mongols. The new ones look weird to me. Maybe they're made in China--by Mongols? Still using Venus Velvets from decades ago. (I bought a huge quantity, but they're down to about a half dozen. I think.)

ajn27511":0227hodp said:
We had a Boston Sharpener like this one for years. It was the same sharpener I used throughout my school years. It finally wore out about 5 years ago after providing 55 years of service. Now I have one just like the one in the picture and by the same manufacturer. :)

AJ

Cool! Does it break leads?

My buddy has one of these, it is electric.

sadie-pencil-sharpener1.jpg

I use a #2 pencil when writing charts for my musical endeavours. It's dark enough for using the copy machines for the other musicians, and enables me to make changes to the score when I've made a boo-boo (which is often) with a separate eraser. I always wear out the eraser on the pencil itself first!

Tried a mechanical pencil but the lead is too fragile and ends up breaking too much. Give me a good old #2 like I had back in school days.

And I use one of those cheap small plastic sharpeners with 2 sizes. Works for me.

My handwriting is so poor that if I'm writing a letter I normally use block printing rather that cursive. Otherwise I'll make extra loops or something. It's like my hand and brain are disconnected!

:no:

Cheers,

RR

ajn27511":pquqto8a said:

AJ
In your school years, didn't they use a piece of slate and chalk? :cheers:

Fatman":129irmyi said:
ajn27511":129irmyi said:

AJ
Ouch! that gonna leave a mark!

:tongue:

Cheers,

RR

Fatman":ft2eh2al said:
ajn27511":ft2eh2al said:

AJ
Nah! We didn't get slate and chalk until I was in the fourth grade. When I started school we had to use birch bark and charcoal. At the age of 26 when I finally got into high school they passed out pencils but Ionly to those students that could read. Turns out I never got use pencils. I guess that was OK 'cause I never learned to write either. ;)

AJ

Brewdude":dc52dwe1 said:
Fatman":dc52dwe1 said:
ajn27511":dc52dwe1 said:

AJ
Ouch! that gonna leave a mark!

:tongue:

Cheers,

RR
That's OK Rande. No one will see any marks because my old body is so wrinkled. :lol!:

AJ

ajn27511":49yx5eyy said:
Fatman":49yx5eyy said:
ajn27511":49yx5eyy said:

AJ
Nah! We didn't get slate and chalk until I was in the fourth grade. When I started school we had to use birch bark and charcoal. At the age of 26 when I finally got into high school they passed out pencils but Ionly to those students that could read. Turns out I never got use pencils. I guess that was OK 'cause I never learned to write either. ;)

AJ
Hahahahaha, well played good Sir, well played :)