Penzance long term bag storage

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodootsk

Reaction score
How do you suggest store the 8oz bag of penzance. I just got to bag and need to know how to store it. Thanks

If the foil pack is undamaged, it should be vacuum sealed. I just keep mine in a zip sealed plastic storage bag and never had a problem. I always keep four or five foil packs cellared and never had a problem. I smoke Penzance daily.

I do what LIPIPE does as well with Esoterica foil bags, going the ziploc bag route.

BUT....look at the foil bags carefully, I have had some with small pinholes in them. In those cases, I opened the bags and put the tobacco in Mason jars. To be honest though, given how moist Esoterica belnds seem to be, and how small the pinholes were, I was probably being overly cautious; the ziploc bag would probably have been OK as well for quite a while.

I'm not overly trusting on those eight ounce bags, they seem to sprout holes overnight. I'd either do the recommended ziplock trick, or if you have one of those fancy vacuum sealers do that. Myself, into the jars it goes. Penzance is meant to be enjoyed and if someone wants to try it, it's ready. Stop by for a bowlful or two.

Most of my tobacco stash, along with all my cigars, reside in coleman-type cooler chests. These have proven over the years to be relatively air-tight (cooler-dors are popular in the cigar crowd) and will maintain decent humidity as long as they are not opened too often. For cigars I also keep a humidification device inside to maintain 70% RH. Haven't found need to do that with pipe tobacco and 70% is too moist for me.

Anyway, any bulk tobacco I have in factory packages (vs that which comes to me in zip-lock bags) goes into a cooler. This includes Esoterica, Sam Gawith, Peter Stokkebye, etc. Zip bags I generally repackage them into mason jars which get stored on shelves in my "vice" closet along with my liquor and other goodies. Tins may be stored in either location, traditional screw top tins generally go in a cooler since I don't trust them all that well, peel-top pringles style tins generally go on the shelf.

I have experienced untrustworthy esoterica bags, so I tend to jar up any Penzance.

I have also encountered 8oz Esoterica bags with seals I wouldn't trust for long term storage. One 8oz bag of Penzance fits perfectly in one 16oz mason jar.

Question. With those 8oz bags, since it's vacuum packed, if there was a pin hole or some kind of tear, wouldn't the bag start to expand a little, indicating you no longer have a tight seal?

No, you probably would not be able to tell. Penzance is generally packed moist so even with the pin holes if you place the foil pack in a plastic zip loc bag or if you choose to empty the contents into a mason jar you are good to go for an extended period. The tobacco will remain fresh and smoke just fine.

If you are looking to cellar long term (>1yrs) I would transfer it to mason jars.