Penzance

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew

Reaction score
Loving this stuff lately. Took a few bowls for me to understand what all the fuss was about. I find that it tastes best when lightly rubbed into small chunks; not fully rubbed.

The biggest surprise? The room note: it is devine. I have heard so many stories about "stinky Penzance" but I couldn't disagree more. It is heavenly. I smoked s bowl of it as we walked around the neighborhood while trick-or-treating with my kids. I received many, many compliments about it's smell during that walk, and my wife intentionally walked a few paces behind me so she could enjoy the aroma.

Lovely stuff, this. Only complaint is that I still struggle with consistency from bowl to bowl. It always tastes good, but only about every three bowls do I get that experience of absolute smokers bliss.

Never had the pleasure. It's always out of stock everywhere I check. Do you tins or in bulk? I finally gave up trying to buy the tins. :x

I don't understand either why the 8ounce bag went for $71.00 today on EBay when it is on several sites for $24.95 ????? I had a bowl of it tonite as well, still on my top 5 list.

hobie1dog":t845qgcf said:
I don't understand either why the 8ounce bag went for $71.00 today on EBay when it is on several sites for $24.95 ?????
Good grief! What are people thinking? Maybe the purchaser was hoping to end-around some tax issue. Dunno...

Buddy

I came across a bunch of Penzance, and being a good little consumer bought a bunch of it (before even trying it), and boy was I let down. All the hype, and high prices I though for sure this stuff must be like Nirvana in a bowl! Don't get me wrong it was good, but I would never pay what this stuff goes for on ebay...jes sayin.

In a way, you are paying that much by smoking it instead of selling it. Opportunity cost--to smoke it, you have to pass up selling it.

Nobody seems to be able to give you any timeframe of when the next batch is come over from the UK :(

Thomas Tkach":vknx8r4s said:
In a way, you are paying that much by smoking it instead of selling it. Opportunity cost--to smoke it, you have to pass up selling it.
Yes, but you are assuming I didn't sell the pound I had! (i did)

Thomas Tkach":oh12obm5 said:
Mmh, good point. That means that the 20x50g tins of Penny Z that I bought 1-2 years ago for cellaring are now costing me a fortune for not selling them! :cry:

hobie1dog":bbdjf8oj said:
Nobody seems to be able to give you any timeframe of when the next batch is come over from the UK :(
I find it not a little ironic that this stuff is indeed shipped out from the UK but not sold here. None of the Esoterica blends, that is. So all my tins of Margate and Penzance have made the round trip before finding their way back to my modest cellar. Still haven't tried the latter, mind you. What's the general take on its aging potential? I have a pair of year old tins stowed away but some folks keep saying that it does not age too well.

I find it not a little ironic that this stuff is indeed shipped out from the UK but not sold here. None of the Esoterica blends, that is. So all my tins of Margate and Penzance have made the round trip before finding their way back to my modest cellar. Still haven't tried the latter, mind you. What's the general take on its aging potential? I have a pair of year old tins stowed away but some folks keep saying that it does not age too well.
I wasn't impressed with an aged tin I received from a friend a few years back. The burning tires seemed to take center stage and never really gave way to any of the things I love more about Penzance. Then again, taste is just one of those things... You might love it.

Great post, Matthew. Penzance is one of my favorites. Indeed, I’d go further and say it is my first two choices on my list of top five. :) Seriously, it’s a tobacco I can turn to time and again without a second thought. I think the taste is understated but sublime. Your comment, “smoker’s bliss,” pretty much sums it up for me as well. And, unlike another favorite, Balkan Sasieni, it doesn’t wear me out. (Honestly, Sasieni two days in a row and I’m ready for a taste bud transplant.) As for availability, I’ve been both lucky and prudent: When it’s available -- and I seem to have less trouble obtaining it than some who have posted -- I buy in quantity. It ages well, although honestly, I don’t think aging improves it, it just remains an excellent smoke. :lol:

Penzance and Balkan Sasieni my top two as well. I don't tire of either of them.

I am going to smoke some Penzance at noon. But because I am at my last tin of Penzance, I will have to place some other tobacco at the bottom of the bowl to make last the little stock of Penzance I have. :oops:

innovador":gw69uuud said:
I am going to smoke some Penzance at noon. But because I am at my last tin of Penzance, I will have to place some other tobacco at the bottom of the bowl to make last the little stock of Penzance I have. :oops:
Desperate times call for desperate measures. At least you have some Penzance.
I've got one half of a bone dry flake sitting in a tin right now. I'm thinking about pulverizing it into some snuff...

I just lost my Ebay auction on a 8 oz bag today. :evil: and just got outbid at 54.00 on the second auction....this crap is going to be worth more than gold before it's over with. :(

I give up, I've reached my dollar limit on this stuff. :suspect: