Penzance

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy

Reaction score
Evening gentlemen, I haven't been around for quite a while and I have a question.
I had to quit smoking a few years ago...but I did however hang onto my stash,...until now.
I've already disposed of all of it but three unopened 8 oz. bags of Penzance that have been in a dark room inside my house for about 7 years. I don't want to open the bags to check it out, because as good as this stuff was/is, I'd like it to remain sealed up,......so my question is this; Is the tobacco is still good, it still feels soft.

Tommy":o0dwgre7 said:
Evening gentlemen, I haven't been around for quite a while and I have a question.
I had to quit smoking a few years ago...but I did however hang onto my stash,...until now.  
I've already disposed of all of it but three unopened 8 oz. bags of Penzance that have been in a dark room inside my house for about 7 years.  I don't want to open the bags to check it out, because as good as this stuff was/is, I'd like it to remain sealed up,......so my question is this; Is the tobacco is still good, it still feels soft.
That right there answers your own question mate. My advice would be this - if you intend on smoking it in the future, jar it up immediately as those foil bags are prone to pinholes and leakage.

If instead you plan on selling it, you might try the bay or pipestud if you want to try and "cash in". And of course you could also list it here in the trading forum, but be aware that the prices that Penzance goes for on other sites are not what the membership at BoB might be willing to pay. In fact there's a thread devoted to just this kind of thing there right now. So proceed appropriately.

Cheers,

RR

Thanks, I'm hoping not to hear any horror stories about pouched tobacco. I have no idea what it sells for anywhere, I just know it was one of my favorite blends ever, and I was NOT about to toss it out with the rest of the stuff.

Tommy,

First off, you'll hear a lot of rhetoric about latakia forward mixtures aging poorly, simply due to the fact that latakia does mellow out and lose its zip with age, but like their Margate, I find Penzance to be one of those superior blends that sweetens up nicely and seems to only get better and better as it hits the 7-10 years mark. This is attributed to the other fine quality tobaccos in the mix.

In my experience, the cream colored bags that Germain was putting their Esoterica mixtures into were more prone to issues than the currently used shiny gold bags that they have been using in the last 4 years or so, or whenever distribution went from Butera to Arango. Do your self a favor a take each of the bags outside or into a space where there is a little more fresh air. Give each bag a thorough sniff test all around the seams and folds. If you smell the slightest hint of latakia you've likely got a leak, so open that bag and jar it up.

This morning I decided to see if any of it was available on an auction-site and what it was worth,.......I was shocked to say the least!! It's selling for three times what I thought it was worth.
Thanks for your help, gentlemen.

You might get a small fortune out of that one or three rather. Best of luck.